Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Chris Borland retiring
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,679

Chris Borland retiring

Mar 16, 2015, 10:26 PM

If y'all haven't seen, 49ers MLB Chris Borland is retiring after just 1 outstanding season in the NFL due to concerns over long-term effects of head trauma. With such an outstanding player with an extremely bright future making this decision, do y'all think we're going to see more future players do this?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Chris Borland retiring

Mar 16, 2015, 10:29 PM

It sounds like he planned it this way . I will make a big payday , play one season and cash out . Then I will franchise 3 Starbucks and put it in cruise .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Mar 16, 2015, 10:54 PM

Yep. Sounds like he never really enjoyed playing the game and it was a means to an end.

Im with the other guy. Big payday, retire, starbucks, cruise control

It's not like he was pulling millions.

Mar 17, 2015, 1:11 AM

He was set to make $530,000 this season and made $420,000 last year. While that's good money for a year, it isn't something to retire on.

Mar 16, 2015, 11:32 PM

D@mn...... 1st PW now borland....

Man..... oh well still think they'll be fine with AB,NB,And AS..........

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 16, 2015, 11:34 PM

> If y'all haven't seen, 49ers MLB Chris Borland is
> retiring after just 1 outstanding season in the NFL
> due to concerns over long-term effects of head
> trauma. With such an outstanding player with an
> extremely bright future making this decision, do
> y'all think we're going to see more future players do
> this?
To answer your question it's a possibility.....I guess players don't want to end up like mike webster.....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 16, 2015, 11:58 PM

I've been thinking about it and wondering if long-term, a large number of athletes choosing to either leave or never play football in the first place could lead to a rebirth of baseball as America's game or actual, prolonged growth of soccer as a major American sport. Currently, the nation's best athletes (with rare exceptions) choose to pursue football, but I'd have to think some natural skills would translate well to other sports. Maybe we'd start to see some of the Bo Jacksons and other elite athletes we once saw in baseball.

Mar 17, 2015, 3:06 AM

There is certainly more awareness now. Awareness plus huge contracts could certainly lead to more players giving it up early, but I doubt this influences many more than normal to do what Borland did. He was set to get a huge contract after this season, especially without PW coming back. There are always guys who are able to look at the potential of big bucks and turn away, but far and away people get sucked in by the big bucks largely because few of them are trained to do anything else immediately should they retire.
As far as your assertion below about a rise in awareness in football positively affecting baseball in America. I hope you are right. The tough thing is (and I feel like I see it very clearly in urban Cali) kids have so many different directions to take their athletic goftedness now that any guys who would,have played football but decide to do something else would probably be spread pretty evenly in other sports. I doubt we would really recognize the effects.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not many will follow due to fact they aren't marketable in

Mar 17, 2015, 7:12 AM

The real world. That's the sad fact. Most have taken bogus or worthless majors in college and put football as the focus. Because of that, they have no other options that come close to paying them what they can make playing football.

there are going to be a few but not many....most of these

Mar 17, 2015, 8:43 AM

guys are living for today and not worrying about tomorrow. Look at Wes Welker. The guy has had concussion after concussion and he's still trying to get another contract. Competition, money, and the thrill of the challenge is too strong a drug to walk away. Also many may not have other options...or probably...feel like they don't have other options because it's all they've done.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,679
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic