Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Barnes should be given an opportunity
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Barnes should be given an opportunity

Apr 13, 2015, 9:47 PM

Charlie Barnes should be given a chance to be mid-week starter. He had phenomenal high school career capping it off with SC State pitcher of the year. The little time he has had on the mound has shown he is going to be great player for the Tigers. He has pitched very well with sub-par play behind him. One game he pitched, there were at least 5 infield hits with several errors. Pitching against a mid-major in the middle of the week will give him the opportunity to show what he is capable of.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Roth would have never been given an opportunity by JL.

Apr 13, 2015, 9:56 PM

Sometimes you have a gem that plays better than his stuff would indicate. Don't know if it's Barnes but any spark would be great.

Re: Roth would have never been given an opportunity by JL.

Apr 13, 2015, 10:22 PM

LOL really??? Anyone else, would he have played Jason Varitek? A list of successful college guys that Jack would not have played would make for some interesting reading.

You win the internet! No, it was a fluke that Roth got even

Apr 13, 2015, 10:33 PM

Got a shot at SCU but at least after he played Tanner threw him out ere again even though his stuff was garbage and he didn't throw hard enough to break a pane of glass. We had a similar situation with a guy named Sean Clarke. Threw 2 great post season games out of nowhere when we ran out of pitchers and then he didn't get another shot.

Re: You win the internet! No, it was a fluke that Roth got even

Apr 14, 2015, 10:20 AM

Clark pitched again he pitched in the ACC and the regional. Clark choose not to come back because he had graduated and wanted to start work.

But hey don't let that get in the way of you dogging Jack

Re: You win the internet! No, it was a fluke that Roth got even

Apr 14, 2015, 10:23 AM [ in reply to You win the internet! No, it was a fluke that Roth got even ]

http://www.tigernet.com/story/baseball/Clemson-Righthander-Sean-Clark-Will-Not-Return-2007-6435&nextbox=1

How are you comparing Roth and Varitek?***

Apr 13, 2015, 10:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Roth would have never been given an opportunity by JL. ]

Re: How are you comparing Roth and Varitek?***

Apr 14, 2015, 8:25 AM

I am simply saying that none of us has any possible way of knowing who Jack would or would not have played and I can assure you that there are Roths all over the country every day that were 'missed' on by other coaches.

Re: How are you comparing Roth and Varitek?***

Apr 14, 2015, 10:16 AM

Jack didn't miss on Roth. Roth's family are gamecocks all the way

Charlie will be a fine pitcher at Clemson. As of right now,

Apr 14, 2015, 10:01 AM

he gets hit pretty good. In 11 and 2/3 innings of work, opponents have a .327 batting average against him. He does have 9 Ks thanks to a very good curveball. During the time that Charlie has been on the mound, exactly one error has been committed. It was committed by...Charlie, when he threw the ball away on a bunt. He has uncorked 3 wild pitches and walked 5. In his two starts, he gave up 6 runs (all earned) on 12 hits. In his last 8 and a third innings of work he has given up 15 hits and 9 runs. He was unlucky against Winthrop in that there were some infield hits on a soggy field. But again, HE made the only error that has come with him on the mound. Charlie will be fine but he has some growing and adjusting to do.

Re: Charlie will be a fine pitcher at Clemson. As of right now,

Apr 14, 2015, 10:18 AM

Now there you go with facts LOL this is tigernet we don't need no stinking facts

Apr 14, 2015, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Charlie will be a fine pitcher at Clemson. As of right now, ]

Great post complete with stats and perspective of someone who was obviously there. I had not seen any of Charlie's appearances and was curious myself given his high school success. I have watched 6 Friday games on TV this season and listened to 2. I have watched and listened to several Sunday and Saturday games and a handful of midweek games. All of that to say - I appreciate the input of someone that is obviously a student of the game and able to see most games.

Apr 14, 2015, 11:56 AM

I will say this in defense of Barnes...things have changed a bit in the pitching realm with Pep figuring the plan and then having it tweeked on the field by Okey and the pitchers....for the most part even the guys that were getting hammered earlier seem to like the format and it gives the pitcher some leeway during the games I think. That being said, I do think that Barnes should get some mound time when the situation is right. I think college kids have a more comfortable feeling dealing with teammates and feeling as though they are involved in deciding each individual battle.

Apr 14, 2015, 10:00 PM

Charlie looked good tonight - even on the home run at bat, he started out ahead on the count 0-2. I don't understand why everyone wastes a pitch on 0-2, but everyone calls for a pitch off the plate. Then he missed on the 4th pitch and needed a strike on the 5th. He threw one. One mistake over 2 excellent innings. I'll take it.

Apr 14, 2015, 1:22 PM [ in reply to Charlie will be a fine pitcher at Clemson. As of right now, ]

Thanks for pointing out all of the negatives "Coach"!!!!! While doing so, the .327 batting average would be much lower without 5 infield hits on a soggy field. 3 wild pitches occurred when the temp was 40 degrees and wet. 2 of his earned runs occurred when Van Horn gave up a homer after he was pulled for walking a batter. He did commit the throwing error to first. He does need to grow and pitch better, but all is not as bad as you are pointing out. Also, other than Wofford, we have lost to EVERY other team we have played in SC. We are 18-18 and 9-9 in the ACC, so a change might be good.

Apr 14, 2015, 1:28 PM

thanks for your input mr. barnes. charlie will be a fine pitcher at clemson. not all freshman are cy young right out of the gate.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Look, I'm sorry you were offended. You obviously have an

Apr 14, 2015, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Charlie will be a fine pitcher at Clemson. As of right now, ]

emotional attachment to Charlie. The thing is, this is a direct quote from your post : "He has pitched very well with sub-par play behind him. One game he pitched, there were at least 5 infield hits with several errors." That is simply not true. During Charlie's 11 2/3 innings there has been 1 error committed, and Charlie committed it. Just be factual. There have been fielding issues with this team, but Charlie has been fortunate that they didn't occur with him on the hill. You're blaming other players for his numbers and the facts don't bear it out. I hope he gets more opportunities this year and does well, and as I said, I believe he will be a very good pitcher in his time here.

Re: Look, I'm sorry you were offended. You obviously have an

Apr 14, 2015, 9:51 PM

Barnes looked good! One mistake...solid outing.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic