Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Charleston sc advice needed
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Charleston sc advice needed

Jul 3, 2015, 12:16 AM

So I have never been to Charleston but I hear it's awesome. Thinking of taking wife there for her bday late July. Looking for advice for a mid 30's couple trying to find good place to stay that is a good combo of fun ( near bars, etc )and proximity to beach (close). Any help and advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks and go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go to Myrtle Beach - much more cultured & sophisticated******

Jul 3, 2015, 12:31 AM

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

LOL...The tacky beachwear shops give it a sort of

Jul 3, 2015, 6:46 AM

Yourapeein atmosphere....just saying.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Charleston sc advice needed

Jul 3, 2015, 12:36 AM

There is a hotel on Shem Creek in Mount Pleasant that would put you close to everything (bars, beach, downtown). Hope you enjoy....

Jul 3, 2015, 5:58 AM

Just don't eat at Shims creek seafood restaurant. The afternoon my wife and I eat there, it really sucked really bad!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have always found Shem Creek Seafood to be...

Jul 3, 2015, 12:26 PM

..excellent. Just a contrary opinion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have always found Shem Creek Seafood to be...

Jul 4, 2015, 12:02 AM

Always been good when I ate there as well.

Yea I stayed here this past Feb for a couple days

Jul 3, 2015, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Charleston sc advice needed ]

was pretty good. Decently priced, only 10 min or so from downtowm charleston

http://www.shemcreekinn.com/

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Check out the Charleston Harbor Resort.***

Jul 3, 2015, 3:05 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Charleston Place is the ultimate.***

Jul 3, 2015, 3:16 AM

Jul 3, 2015, 4:56 AM

Hard to be close to the beach without just staying at the beach if you want bars etc. I would eithher stay downtown or just stay at the beach. This time of year i would just stay at the beach. There are some bars at Sullivan's Island that aren't bad. Folly may be fun for you as well. The traffic getting to Folly from downtown can be a nightmare though.

Good advice... either way, you can't really do both.***

Jul 3, 2015, 5:39 AM

null

Message was edited by: SOLOS®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our Charleston friends will advise you best, but we usually

Jul 3, 2015, 6:43 AM

stay on the Isle of Palms, which is easily accessable from Columbia via I-26 and the Mark Clark Express looping around the city to Mount Pleasant. From there it's a short drive via 17 and the IOP Connector onto the island.

You might try the Sea Cabins Condos, which are oceanfront and aren't too pricey. It's not a bad drive into the city via 17 and the Ravenel Bridge. Mount Pleasant has a number of good places to eat, plus Patriot's Point is there. At times we have taken one of our boats, docked at Wild Dunes and cruised up the ICW into Charleston Harbor, so if you have a boat, you might want to inquire about dockage on the island.

Hope you have a great time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Our Charleston friends will advise you best, but we usually

Jul 4, 2015, 6:47 PM

This is pretty good information except if you cruise UP the Intracoastal Waterway you're not going to be in Charleston Harbor, you're going to be in McClellanville.

Jul 3, 2015, 7:07 AM

Our family stayed in a condo on folly a few summers back, we loved it. You could be in downtown charleston in 15-20 min. Since we went there we've had zero desire to go back to Myrtle, it's just too crowded. Myrtle is fine if you wanna go shopping or play putt-putt but I can do that stuff here in Greenville. Never stayed there but heard isle of palms was real nice.

Jul 3, 2015, 8:50 AM

Thanks for all the info guys! Will take all advice into consideration. Should certainly be helpful

Go Tigers!

Jul 3, 2015, 7:39 AM

Be sure to try Fleet's Landing, the whole flounder is awesome. It's in a building that the Navy once used to process sailors in and out. It's very near where the cruise ships board and the fountain that kids play in near downtown, 186 Concord Street.

http://www.fleetlanding.net/

Jul 3, 2015, 8:42 AM

If you want a nice hotel for your wife try Wentworth Mansion. Couple of blocks off king st downtown. Pricey but very nice. You'll be close to downtown restaurants and bars and can bike taxi to any of them to beat the heat. Not near the beach.

Jul 3, 2015, 10:42 AM

We always stay at the Meeting St. Inn. It is downtown across from The Market and easy walking distance to many things. This is an old inn with canopy beds, free afternoon wine and iced tea. Also nearby is the Indigo Inn, also on Meeting St. Both of these are right in the middle of everything. Avoid 8:00-
9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. traffic if at all possible going into and from Charleston.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Folly Beach. Stay there my friend***

Jul 3, 2015, 10:52 AM

Jul 3, 2015, 11:02 AM

If you like beer, stop by Coast Brewing! Really good stuff there

Jul 3, 2015, 11:04 AM

Okay, first thing's first. Yall have to go to Southern Belle to get acquainted with the history/culture of nightlife in this city.

Upper king is where it's at these days. I would recommend, instead of trying to get down into some of the overpriced market hotels, to do some comparing between the Embassy Suites on Meeting Street, in addition with some of the other hotels near Marion Square --- Courtyard at Marriot and a little further south --- the Renaissance Charleston.

All of these are better options than most of what's in the market area due to the proximity of close bars and restaurants.

N. Market looks like a ghost town on the weekends compared to what it was 5-10 years ago. Upper King is where the leg (not that you're interested with being married :) ), the booze and the food is.

I recommend a Saturday brunch at Rare Bit (chick 'n' waffles...), and a dinner at somewhere like O-Ku, Hall's or The Ordinary. There are plenty of options in that regard on Upper King. Stay away from The Silver Dollar & Beer Works unless you're into 17 year olds (not that there's anything wrong with that). To be honest, that area's growing so rapidly there's a good chance there's a new option or two since I went down there out amongst 'em a few weeks ago.

If you have your car nearby, I would strongly encourage a trip out to Magnolia Cemetery. It IS a bit creepy being a cemetary at all, but the range of foliage makes it a pretty unique place to visit on a Sunday afternoon in the summer. A couple of pigs below for reference:

Oh yeah, it never hurts to hit up what the hipsters are calling "NoMo" and try a burger at Royal American, a beer and apps at Bay Street Biergarten or a legendary duck club at Tatooed Moose. Have fun!

Summa cum laude. Magna cum laude. The radio’s too loudy.

Jul 3, 2015, 11:07 AM

Awesome ideas! Thank you so much.

Fort Sumter is also a cool place to visit IMO

Jul 3, 2015, 11:11 AM

if you're into history.

Also Patriots Point is awesome

http://www.patriotspoint.org/

Don't forget the open air market

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Re: Fort Sumter is also a cool place to visit IMO

Jul 3, 2015, 11:33 AM

^^^ Oh yeah, don't forget to enjoy the history!!! That's pretty popular down here too

Summa cum laude. Magna cum laude. The radio’s too loudy.

Gotta go see Monte Lee's statue as well.***

Jul 3, 2015, 12:00 PM

null

Re: Gotta go see Monte Lee's statue as well.***

Jul 3, 2015, 12:41 PM

This is a fine example of why I like Tnet so much. Guys stepping up to help out a fellow Tiger with advice.

Thanks again guys!

No problem.***

Jul 3, 2015, 2:53 PM

null

other ideas...

Jul 3, 2015, 11:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Charleston sc advice needed ]

-Peninsula Grill for supper one night.
-Ghost walk/tour.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Jul 4, 2015, 7:37 AM

Depends on what you want more of. Beach or Downtown? There are a few newer hotels on the Ashley River (West Ashley side) Right before you cross the bridge on 17. River views, an easy drive into downtown, and a fairly easy drive to Folly Beach. If you want to stay downtown, there's a waterfront hotel near the marina also.

If you have some cash to throw around, there are a ton of nice places to stay downtown, and on the Mt. P side, Shem Creek is always a good bet.

sea cabins at iop offers decent 2-3 nite rates

Jul 4, 2015, 6:36 PM

pier access, beach view and walking distance to windjammer and every near-front beach restaurant bar..dtown is 30 minutes, traffic-dependent.

obviously, if economy is less important, there are lots of other options.

GoTiguhs!!

If you want to spend money ...

Jul 4, 2015, 9:56 PM

John Rutledge House, Planter's Inn and Penisula Grill and bar are 1st class. Your wife will be all over the King Street shopping.

Re: If you want to spend money ...

Jul 5, 2015, 12:19 AM

Thanks again everybody! Great info.

Go Tigers!

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic