Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Morris on red zone issues: We were getting beat at the point of attack
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Morris on red zone issues: We were getting beat at the point of attack

Oct 27, 2013, 1:09 AM

Morris on red zone issues: We were getting beat at the point of attack

Clemson's offense scored seven times in eight red zone possessions Saturday afternoon, but only three of those possessions turned into touchdowns, leading offensive coordinator Chad Morris to say that his team was getting beat at the point of attack. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fix it!

Oct 27, 2013, 6:11 AM

nm

Exactly. They have been hinting at O-Line issues....

Oct 27, 2013, 8:49 AM

for weeks, yet they keep rolling the same 5 guys out there. They either need to step it up or take a seat. maybe we have nothing better?????

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Exactly. They have been hinting at O-Line issues....

Oct 27, 2013, 5:48 PM

I've been seeing and talking about a mediocre (at best) OL all year. I'n not sure the talent is there to be "fixed." The FSU game confirmed a lot of my worst fears on both sides of the ball. And a rather lacklustr win over a grossly depleted Maryland team doesn't really inspire me to break out the champagne. But a win is a win.

Re: Fix it!

Oct 27, 2013, 9:12 AM [ in reply to Fix it! ]

agree!! if these guys can`t get the job done try someone else. IMHO TB should have pulled for @ least one series!! no reason for him to play so bad when we have other Q/b`s that want to play

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2013, 9:36 AM

Glad it was humble, he only manufactured 40 points. Let's bench the guy for one who can't run. Good call. Lol

Glad you can find some humor in all this,

Oct 27, 2013, 9:46 AM

unfortunately this is no laughing matter. I doubt anyone is seriously talking about benching Tajh for the rest of the game. What I believe is a series or two for Tajh to take a deep breath and get his head together could have been good. Maybe it wouldn't have helped but if you watched the first three quarters I watched, it couldn't have hurt!

Re: Glad you can find some humor in all this,

Oct 27, 2013, 5:51 PM

It would be nice if he had just a little blocking upfront.

Oct 27, 2013, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Fix it! ]

Let's be honest...what does Tajh's running have to do with it if they were game planning not to run him? That basically says he needed to be on point in throwing, or we had to establish a strong run game outside Tajh. With Tajh still throwing like he's blindfolded (over guys heads or so far behind them he hits them in the shoe), why not try Stoudt or Kelly at least one series, to see what could have happened in the throwing game?

They ended up running him, and it helped a ton***

Oct 27, 2013, 11:57 AM

Re: They ended up running him, and it helped a ton***

Oct 27, 2013, 12:12 PM

agreed....but they weren't in the beginning, which is when we were struggling (especially in the red zone), so that points that either they needed to make that choice to change that game plan earlier, or they needed to look at other options till they were comfortable running him.

Oct 27, 2013, 1:10 PM

Why should we need to run Tajh so much. The O line should be doing a better job at giving Tajh time. If Jameis Winston was trying to pass with this O line, I think you would see Winston much less successful!

Finally someone that gets it

Oct 27, 2013, 2:31 PM

The O line is shortening Tajh's internal clock leading him to throw early in order to avoid a sack. That does a lot to throw your and your receivers rhythm off. It starts and ends in the trenches. You'd think people would realize that by now. If Tajh was making these bad throws while not being pressured I'd be the first in line to start blaming him.

Re: Finally someone that gets it

Oct 27, 2013, 5:56 PM

Finally, someone else who gets it. Good post. Bad OL.

Oct 27, 2013, 5:54 PM [ in reply to Re: They ended up running him, and it helped a ton*** ]

You've got it.

Agreed but no just OL, need better audible communication

Oct 27, 2013, 6:57 PM [ in reply to Re: They ended up running him, and it helped a ton*** ]

btwn Boyd and the other receivers when Boyd identifies pass rush. Boyd needs to better identify and communicate and audible to receivers so that ALL are on the same page.

50+ on UVA

Oct 27, 2013, 7:08 AM

Nobody has struggled against that Cav dedense this year...and we shouldn't either. As much as we did right yesterday there was a bunch of disjointedness , plenty to correct as Morris stated. Stretch run here...lets get hitting on every cylinder ! GO TIGERS

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: 50+ on UVA

Oct 27, 2013, 8:35 AM

BYU struggled against UVa D....

A healthy Maryland team scored the same 27 that they scored against us after a lot of injuries....

UVa O has been not good, the D has had games when they played very good.

Oct 27, 2013, 9:47 AM [ in reply to 50+ on UVA ]

If we don't put up at least 50 something is wrong!

Oct 27, 2013, 5:59 PM

Something IS wrong! Our OL is mediocre at best.

When you are the highest paid OC in college football

Oct 27, 2013, 7:40 AM

such comments are unacceptable. He is being paid a fortune to fix it and make the offense flow like a well oiled machine. If he can't do it then he should quit or be fired. Earn your paycheck man!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When you are the highest paid OC in college football

Oct 27, 2013, 8:54 AM

But he's a genius. Just ask him.

Players are the ones not executing

Oct 27, 2013, 2:34 PM [ in reply to When you are the highest paid OC in college football ]

He's having to go back to his base offense because the players can't get on the same page. I think the primary problem is our O line and that's on Caldwell, not Morris. It's also on recruiting. We've continually ignored the O line or have not been able to pull in studs. I don't quite understand why, but it's been an issue for awhile. I put that on Dabo.

Re: Players are the ones not executing

Oct 27, 2013, 6:05 PM

I agree. The OL talent is not there. Our one decent tight end is a true freshman. We don't have an RB who would rank in the top 20 nationally.

Re: When you are the highest paid OC in college football

Oct 27, 2013, 6:01 PM [ in reply to When you are the highest paid OC in college football ]

Where does he get the OL players to do that?

Re: Front Page Story: Morris on red zone issues: We were getting beat at the point of attack

Oct 27, 2013, 9:00 AM

Am I the only one here who gets the disoriented feeling that we are going backwards? From LSU and Georgia to a game where we have to simplify the offense, can't score in the red zone, and can't provide good pass protection.

The headline this morning ought to be "Sammy Watkins and the Defense Won the Game." Thank God for Sammy. Otherwise we would have a big ugly "L" beside our name. This is just crazy.

Re: Front Page Story: Morris on red zone issues: We were getting beat at the point of attack

Oct 27, 2013, 9:25 AM

Totally agree, and I think that going backwards thing applies to the defense as well after seeing us give up 27 to a BAD Maryland team with NUMEROUS injuries. This team is about to go on a 2006 type skid I believe. UVA will give us a game like Maryland did, except they have a mobile QB so they may beat us. GT will beat us and the chickens may 63-17 us this year. Can you imagine Boyd against their D line with that crowd noise? Deer in the headlights all over again.

Oct 27, 2013, 9:34 AM

I think you are way off base with your assessment and prediction. I don't think we are regressing, but I do think we are wearing down a little and teams are figuring out how to defend us. Last year we had struggle games vs Ga Tech, Boston College, and Wake where we didn't show up like we would have liked but won the game.

We will beat UVA, they just prepared for the option all last week and will be battered from that. We have a week off to heal and prepare for Georgia Tech.

South Carolina will be a dog fight as usual.

10-2 is worse case scenario.

Then get off the boards and don't watch

Oct 27, 2013, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Morris on red zone issues: We were getting beat at the point of attack ]

I can't understand people like you. What are you groveling under GT and the Coots for? Did you not see GT lose to VT and BYU? Did you not see COOT U lose to UGA and Tennessee?

Way to be overly dramatic.

Oct 27, 2013, 6:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Morris on red zone issues: We were getting beat at the point of attack ]

I'd like to disagree with you, but I'm afraid I can't.

How many games have we seen

Oct 27, 2013, 11:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Morris on red zone issues: We were getting beat at the point of attack ]

one player take the offense on their shoulders. I can think of several including Sammy at MD a couple of years ago. CJ did it, so did Reggie Meriweather. I can think of others where Tajh did the heavy lifting. Great players step up when needed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2013, 6:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Morris on red zone issues: We were getting beat at the point of attack ]

We have gone backwards since the UGA game. Who's responsibility is that?

Chad, I'm no coach but did you notice that running

Oct 27, 2013, 9:43 AM

off tackle or a pitch to the outside or any time the back had to bounce to the outside against Maryland was working yesterday? For nice yardage.

They knew you were going to try and run up the middle at the GL or on short-yardage. Maybe you should have run it off tackle or an option pitch.

I don't know, try something different than you normally call? It may make teams off balance if they don't know what you're going to run.

Just saying.

Re: Chad, I'm no coach but did you notice that running

Oct 27, 2013, 10:46 AM

When we tried that, it didn't work all that great either. Sometimes their D swarmed through, seemingly untouched, but at least it did work better than trying repeatedly to run up the middle. I really though our OL had turned the corner coming into this season, but I was wrong. That still is the weak link in this team, and unfortunately, without that link the chain isn't very strong. I just wish our OL were meaner, nastier and played with an attitude. I haven't seen that in a long time, but it would make a huge difference in our success.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2013, 11:11 AM

Dabo doesn't recruit like Danny did. Danny understood that he needed the big uglies. Dabo wants 25 skill players on both sides of the ball.

Oct 27, 2013, 11:18 AM

Dabo = Walk-on WR at AL
Danny = Scholarship OL at AL

Danny understood the reason for a big nasty OL as we was one.

Oct 27, 2013, 1:36 PM

also Danny recuited for the I-formation which is a run first offense. The spread is pass first.
I agree we need a better attitude on O-Line. When we do substitute, it gets no better.
TB and Rich-Rod created this trend when they wanted 270 lb. O-Line who could run. This gave us a rep. of not preparing O-Line for NFL.
Also, they aren't many 5-star O-line in HS. The elete programs get them. Hard to predict potential and work ethec out of HS - depends on what skill level they play against.
Danny mainly played tight end at Alabama, which then was primarly blocking I amit.

Oct 28, 2013, 11:27 AM

You are right, but that has been a missing piece of the puzzle at Clemson since TB took over, and of course Hatfield used up all the talent DF left him without adding a thing in that group. That should be a top priority for Dabo and Robbie Caldwell. Get the studly big uglies back, and things will become a lot more consistent.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2013, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Chad, I'm no coach but did you notice that running ]

If he really wants that, he is missing the real important part to the puzzle. TB never got that right, either. DF knew who buttered the bread for success. I hope Dabo will refocus on this weakness and get it fixed, otherwise we never will get to the mountain top.

WE kinda' sorta' miss Nuke Hopkins and ...

Oct 27, 2013, 10:59 AM

we don't catch the ball as reliably ... thank goodness for Sammy Watkins ! Now, catch the ball, then tuck it, then run up the field ...

We have more issues than just the point of attack

Oct 27, 2013, 11:41 AM

in the red zone. There were multiple plays where we have 5 down linemen along with Boyd and McDowell in the backfield. Maryland shows blitz with 7 players and we proceed to either attempt a run (most often) or a long developing pass play. Simple math tells me that 5 cannot block 7.. won't happen and on those occasions, Maryland was getting serious penetration into the backfield with no response (Hot read pass, for example) from our offense.

Of course, there are other times where it appears that Tajh has the Hot read and our receiver (yesterday Mike Williams, as was last week I believe) does not properly change his route. Turned into an interception yesterday and also against FSU.

Some of you are way off here

Oct 27, 2013, 11:45 AM

Calling for Chad to be fired or step down? That's insane. The players have to perform on the field and they are not. We are def missing Nuk this season, no doubt about it, but it all starts up front. Our guys get no push whatsoever. Someone above mentioned is only being concerned with skill guys recruiting wise, and while not totally, I somewhat agree. This Tiger team has been built from the "outside in" so to speak. The skill guys were put in place ahead of the offensive line guys and that's a problem. Any play in any offense always starts with blocking. If you can't block the guys trying to stop you from doing what you're trying to do, you will not have much success against the teams you can't just out talent. In a nutshell, this is us. Particularly on offense We will never take the next step forward until we adopt a new strategy for how we recruit offensive lineman. We're basically still using the same "formula" that Tommy used. We take one, maybe two each cycle, then every four years it seems we reload on them, basically leaving us with one year of inexperience then 3 more years of the same line. What if most of those guys don't pan out? When your not taking any the next recruiting cycle you're stuck with them

Plus, we have no accountability

Oct 27, 2013, 11:47 AM

Our guys are allowed to bust play after play with no repercussions whatsoever. No consequences. Rarely do you have to worry about being benched if you're a starter. Until we install some accountability into this program we'll get more of the same.

I see people get benched all the time during the game

Oct 27, 2013, 12:02 PM

Are you watching?

Re: Plus, we have no accountability

Oct 27, 2013, 4:12 PM [ in reply to Plus, we have no accountability ]

Shaq Anthony, Timothy, Davis and Beasley are killing plays. They play like statutes and way too high!!!!!

O

Oct 27, 2013, 12:12 PM

O did we loose? Must have been an overtime game? What, 40 to 27? Glad players don't read this garbage. Sure hope recruits don't. Who would want to play for a fan base that complains about being top ten

FIX IT --- this week. or at least before we play U$uC***

Oct 27, 2013, 1:38 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thoughts: Score from outside the redzone and/or plan to

Oct 27, 2013, 1:43 PM

play Stoudt at QB some during the game --- giving Tajh a break (mental, physical, and psychological).

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2013, 2:06 PM

Some defense please.what happened to cb blitz and lb blitzs sometimes.we play way to conservative and get picked apart anyway.

wide recievers needed please

Oct 27, 2013, 2:21 PM

If no one wants to step up and really want to play stay on the bench or transfer.we need someone to step up and help sammy out.he is the only one who gives a crap about catching and wanting the ball.others need to step up now.

Oct 27, 2013, 2:34 PM

Maybe it would be helpful if Coach Morris looked at his play calling inside the red-zone. Doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results is; well you know.

S&C = OL

Oct 27, 2013, 4:04 PM

I think there will be a change at OL coach or S&C if Morris has any say about it. He has been pounding the OL's effort all year. They are not physical or strong up the middle. I sense this will be addressed if Morris hangs around for one more year.

Re: S&C = OL

Oct 27, 2013, 4:16 PM

S&C is only a piece of the puzzle. Although OL is hard to project in recruiting, our coaches haven't evaluated well as a whole. They are seriously lacking fundamentals ie., not playing with the proper pad level (too high). Also, too many players who lack a killer instinct.

Re: S&C = OL

Oct 27, 2013, 6:21 PM [ in reply to S&C = OL ]

Someone needs to address it. These issues have been painfully obvious for a long time.

Accountability

Oct 27, 2013, 10:54 PM

Yes you see certain people benched, but our coaches seem to play favorites. Certain players are untouchable so to speak. Yes, I watch and anyone who doesn't see it isn't watching closely enough.

Re: Accountability

Oct 28, 2013, 10:19 AM

Very obvious, Stout sent in just to hand off, not even a pass why, you can see stout frustration. I think they think he will show up Boyd, just saying!!!

Saw a reference time S&C

Oct 28, 2013, 7:18 AM

This has been an issue for years now but hasn't been addressed. If Dabo is even asked about he gets very defensive, saying how no one us better than Batson. Batson is an example of nepotism at its finest and I'm not sure Dabo has the authority to fire. Not sure he would if he could. That name carries a lot of weight at this school

Replies: 56
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic