Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Carolina Panthers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Carolina Panthers

Apr 24, 2020, 8:39 PM

I've been a Panthers fan from day one. I was in Death Valley to witness their first ever win over the New York Jets in 1995. There have been a handful of Clemson players play for the Panthers over the years, but none that lasted more than a couple of years. They have never drafted a Clemson player....not even once. The Carolina Panthers have drafted 4 players from South Carolina, 4 Players from North Carolina, 5 players from Georgia, and 0 players from Clemson. Now I know you don't pull for a pro team based on your fave college team. But I can't wrap my head around why they refuse to draft Clemson players. Not one in their 25 year existence. So what I'm asking is, am I making a big deal over nothing? Or should I look for another NFL team?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Carolina Panthers

Apr 24, 2020, 8:50 PM

Hey, it is America man so be a fan of any team you want to. But Why be a fan of an average pro team when you have an above-average college team. Of course, I can't say much cause I root for the Texans but that is because of Clemson connection. I mostly root for the Clemson players instead of the team.

Apr 24, 2020, 9:06 PM

I have one team that I pull for, Clemson, and the guys that has gone on to play NFL FB!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 24, 2020, 8:52 PM

IRONCAT68 said:

I've been a Panthers fan from day one. I was in Death Valley to witness their first ever win over the New York Jets in 1995. There have been a handful of Clemson players play for the Panthers over the years, but none that lasted more than a couple of years. They have never drafted a Clemson player....not even once. The Carolina Panthers have drafted 4 players from South Carolina, 4 Players from North Carolina, 5 players from Georgia, and 0 players from Clemson. Now I know you don't pull for a pro team based on your fave college team. But I can't wrap my head around why they refuse to draft Clemson players. Not one in their 25 year existence. So what I'm asking is, am I making a big deal over nothing? Or should I look for another NFL team?

Yep... You're one of many..

In my case.. It is what it is...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 24, 2020, 9:12 PM

The panthers had their best season with a Tiger in the starting lineup. Bet few will remember who. Not Buckner

Buckner is the DL coach for the Cards I believe.

Apr 24, 2020, 9:23 PM

After 26 drafts without taking a CU guy, it cannot just be a coincidence. They have obviously made a decision not to. Makes no sense.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most of my family in Charlotte are Panther fans, as

Apr 24, 2020, 9:30 PM

expected, while a brother here in Columbia also is.

My youngest brother in Rock Hill (a longtime TNetter) is a diehard Cowboy fan.

My focus is on Clemson...and any team with former Clemson players. Hence, guess which NFL team in Charlotte is not nor ever has been on my "focus" list?

I know a lot of my friends here on TNet are Panther fans, so I wish them the best.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can’t tell if you’re up really late...

Apr 24, 2020, 9:40 PM

or really early.

Hope y’all are well, Hartins. Stay safe out there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

My good, ole buddy, FM......up late...and now, at

Apr 25, 2020, 3:52 AM

three a.m. Saturday, up again early with a full plate today.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good morning.***

Apr 25, 2020, 4:10 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Apr 25, 2020, 12:33 AM

Look for another NFL team. They're mocking people "armchair gms" who tell them they should've drafted simmons. Just dropped my two PSLs, will be buying Falcons PSLs to watch our guys

I have never liked them, going all the way back to where

Apr 25, 2020, 8:37 AM

they reneged on their initial plan which was to locate the team "on the border" near Rock Hill. Their sellout to Charlotte soured me on the team from the get go. The fact that they NEVER, EVER draft a Clemson man just reinforces my disdain every year. (The fact that they usually have a few Coot losers on the team helps that as well.)

Apr 25, 2020, 8:42 AM

Find another team.

I actually do find myself pulling for teams based on Clemson

Apr 25, 2020, 10:03 AM

players on the roster. Since the Panthers added Scam, they have really turned me away. I have become a Texans fan the last few years with 4 or 5 Tigers on the roster and have enjoyed watching them. Even attended a game the day after the Cotton Bowl. Haven't been to a Panthers game in forever even though it's 20 minutes from my house. With the influx of Clemson players into the NFL, it's giving me more teams to watch. Raiders are right up there now. Full of Tigers!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the Answer to my question

Apr 25, 2020, 8:42 PM

Is Curtis Whitley. Remember him? Starting center for the Panthers at one time. RIP

Thanks, I didn't realize that. Sad ending though.***

Apr 27, 2020, 3:58 AM

And look at the results:

Apr 25, 2020, 11:33 AM

losers.

Big mistake not to take Simmons.

The Panthers have probably been at least an average

Apr 25, 2020, 10:10 PM

franchise over their 25 year history. Two super bowl appearances is better than quite a few franchises in that span.

I think all of these teams have 0-1 SB appearances and no titles: Browns, Bengals, Bills, Cardinals, Raiders, Jets, Jaguars, Dolphins, Texans, Titans, Chargers, Bears, Lions, Vikings, and Redskins. And even with the Falcons? Late 90s dirty birds and the epic chokers from a few years ago?

Apr 25, 2020, 8:58 PM

I was there too, still have the program my dad bought me. I was 7 and still remember it.

Apr 25, 2020, 9:28 PM

It is just the way things have worked out, they have certainly had Clemson guys on their team it just didn't work out draft wise.

I can't fault them for taking Brown this year, the DL is a glaring weakness for the Panthers this year which was further bolstered by taking a DE in round 2 as well. Plus we have multi-year starter Shaq Thompson as our main linebacker and we signed Whitehead this off season as well. DL was their focus and I think they did well.

Now would I love to have Simmons? Of course, but taking the SEC player of the year defensive tackle was the move. Anything else is just showing favoritism, which I understand. People forget the Panthers had one of the worst run stopping defenses in the league last year, mainly due to KK Short being hurt and having no interior lineman to stop the run.

T.J. Green signed with the Panthers in the offseason if it makes any difference.

Message was edited by: aclemfan48®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 25, 2020, 9:51 PM

For a group where the majority is the type of person to call someone a snowflake, there are an awful lot of snowflakes in here. All I see during the season is a bunch of people saying they don't care about the NFL or that the Panthers suck, and then every April people get all up in their feelings that a team they supposedly don't care about in a league they supposedly don't care about didn't take a Clemson player.

And lets be brutally honest for a second. Go back and look at the Clemson players drafted between 1995 and 2012. You've got one HoFer in Dawkins, one really good long-time starter in Pryce, some solid starters like McCleon, Simmons, L. Hill, Gilchrist, Branch, Thompson, and Sensabaugh, and then a bunch of guys that were largely disappointing. Are you mad that they didn't draft a bust like Gardner, Miller, Spiller, T. Hill, or Bowers? Or were they smart to avoid those guys?

I've been a Panthers fan longer than I've been a Tiger fan. My parents went to Clemson but never cared about football when I was growing up, and we only had local channels. Carolina was on local TV every Sunday starting in '96, and Clemson was virtually never on. Hard to self-start a fandom when you can't follow a team. All that is to say I know the Panthers better than probably 99% of the people on this board. There have been very few drafts where Clemson players actually lined up with where Carolina was drafting. And when they have, the Panthers have had other more pressing needs. This year is a great example. Simmons is a phenomenal player. He's going to have a long career as an absolute weapon on defense. His ability to line up virtually anywhere is exactly the kind of talent the NFL is looking for. But a strong defense starts up front. It's always been that way, and it always will. The Panthers had the worst run defense in the NFL last year. Their defensive line was so bad it made future Hall of Fame LB Luke Kuechly look average at times, and I think the mental wear legitimately contributed to his retirement. Coming into this draft, they had Kawann Short coming off a season-ending injury, Brian Burns who was drafted to be a 3-4 OLB and is going to have to put on weight to convert to a full-time 4-3 DE, and some absolute nobodies. They had to get better up front, and they took the best DT in the draft to do that. If Brown had been taken in the top 6, I firmly believe they would've drafted Simmons even thought the smart move would've been to trade down and go after another DT. But he didn't, so they made the right call.

For the record, they were also interested in Tanner Muse, but the Raiders reached for him and took him way ahead of where he should have gone.

Apr 25, 2020, 9:58 PM

I appreciate your thoughts, finally someone thinking straight about the whole situation. There is a lot of butthurt about the Panthers for some reason. I am really liking the moves the new ownership has made and am looking forward to a great couple of seasons coming up, well as long as we can play the seasons..

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 25, 2020, 10:03 PM

Publicly calling fans who wanted Simmons "armchair GMs" and taking a #1 defense to set a record for defensive draft picks did it for me.

Richardson was obviously biased about Clemson but kept it out of public social media.

Apr 25, 2020, 10:08 PM

Who called people armchair GMs? I never saw that report anywhere.

Apr 25, 2020, 10:19 PM

https://twitter.com/Panthers/status/1253862547658354696?s=20

Twitter GMS, mainly means the same thing.

I've seen them like tweets calling Clemson fans bias. NFL social-media teams usually have to have some upper-level approval to make comments like that. SC fans have also been going after them for not taking Kinlaw OR Simmons. 27 years not one 1st rounder from SC or Clemson and 0 draft picks from Clemson.

They've also essentially called Isiah Simmons incapable of holding one position, that's why they felt Brown was better.

Greg Olsen's reaction to the team he spent 80% of his career told me all I need to know.

When you let the #1 defense in 2015 fall to 32nd and you do zero to fix the secondary until the 3rd round after spending over $15 million in free agency on the defensive line, you deserve to be questioned. Clemson's 2019 secondary is better then the 2020 Panthers secondary, I'm not joking.

I'll go root for the team that puts enough faith in our guys to reach for them.

Apr 25, 2020, 10:27 PM

No college secondary is better than a bad NFL secondary, if you legitimately think that than it is not worth arguing over as you must be trolling.

Apr 25, 2020, 10:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Carolina Panthers ]

Maybe I’m slow, but how does that tweet relate to Clemson?

Apr 25, 2020, 10:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Carolina Panthers ]

Please explain how Richardson was biased against Clemson? Even if he was, the NFL is a business, you take the best players available to you to fit your needs to win.

Apr 25, 2020, 10:21 PM

27 years, 0 Clemson draft picks.

Williams Brice declined Richardson in 95 before we accepted the team to be in Death Valley.

The Panthers gave Brenton Bersin a job for 3 years, but couldn't give 1 Clemson player a chance.

They brought in Boulware and Mccloud and Gary Peters in a decade Clemson won 2 national titles and played in 5 playoffs, they've brought in 30+ SC players in a decade they've missed 2 bowl games.

Message was edited by: Clemsontiger179812®

Apr 25, 2020, 10:29 PM

Would it not be obvious for an NFL team to want to play an inaugural season in a populated, state capitol city?

Keep on thinking that the Panthers hold a grudge for some reason, I am not going to argue you out of it.

Apr 25, 2020, 11:00 PM

Rather go root for the team that values the school I went to. 27 years of no draft picks from here tells me all I need to know. We are 2 hours away, don't try to convince me there was not one player on our team that they could not take a 7th rounder on. They've had at least 50 players from SC that weren't even drafted.

I owned season tickets until yesterday, I don't take too kindly to being called a "twitter gm" for disagreeing with ignoring the secondary. I'll take my $3,000 a year to Atlanta and go watch our guys grow up into grown men and wonderful players.

Saying the Panthers don't like Clemson players is like saying you sat next to someone at a desk at work for 27 years and they smiled at you a few times while talking to the person on the other side of their desk consistently the whole time. I'm not even talking about 1st rounders, they don't even barely bring our guys in for workouts.

I guess Will Muschamp in the past 8 years developed more NFL talent then Dabo Swinney, keep telling yourself that when the Panthers bring 8 more SC Undrafted FAs in and 1 Clemson UDFA they will cut in the first round of cuts.

Apr 25, 2020, 10:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Carolina Panthers ]

Agree with what was said above me about NFL vs college secondary. That's not even remotely a worthwhile discussion. And if you're letting a Twitter account that's probably run with virtually no supervision by some rotating intern dictate your feelings about a team, then you just need to stay off the internet.

Apr 25, 2020, 10:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Carolina Panthers ]

It wasn't only that for me. They fired Ron Rivera when it was clear injuries killed that team. The Panthers we're 5-3 with Kyle Allen as their QB after Newton got hurt. Kawaan Short got hurt and the defensive line when to group after losing 2 linemen.

We kept Marty Hurney, who was rehired as an interim in Richardson's last year as owner after firing Gettleman. Hurney who had been fired once kept his job and Rivera falls on the sword. Ron Rivera had his problems, but all he needed was a QB who could stand upright, the Panthers had a winning record when their team wasn't injured to heck.

Ron overachieves after his starting QB goes down, the team goes to crap when the bug hits the defense, there are no quality backups, why does the GM take the sword? CAR had all but won in New Orleans in late November against a Saints team who finished 13-3, but the kicker THE GM GAVE RON RIVERA after Gano got hurt missed the 30- yard field goal. Saints drove and knelt on the ball to win.

We come home and get beat by a Redskins team that had won 2 in a row and Teppers temper fires Ron...If you look at the 2019 Panthers... Injuries effected QB, LT, LE, RE, DT, CB... The Panthers we're 1 deep at one position, but 4 deep elsewhere. Oh, how did they do against NO in week 17? They got beat by 30... Sounds like Ron was at fault after having them beat on their home field.

Then, we hire a college coach who had not beat 1 ranked team to succeed the greatest coach in Panthers history... He brings in a crappy DC and Joe Brady (who apparently decides Defensive 1st rounders for Marty Hurney).

They took away 1,500 psls to build bunkers to sell for 25,000 a psl to rich people, and told the long-time fans to move or take their "settlement" of 125% in 1995 dollars. Inflation at 2% a year is 50+% 25 years later lol, that's like reimburising $1,500 for 2,500 in damage. The Panthers didn't even have enough lowers to give the people, so they offered club seats 3x the cost in season tickets as Settlemant.

They quit sending the roar magazine to PSL owners to cut costs, plus raised the cost of my tickets 3% after 2 losing season. They added sales tax onto the cost of already 8.25 sodas while the Falcons charge $2 including tax for unlimited refills. They release a tailgate for $75 a game that none of my friends in the upper deck could afford (some in the lower deck as well).

They sent a clear misleading message by having Rhule tell the media he is "excited to coach Cam after talking to him" about Cam Newton less than 2 weeks before randomly announcing they were cutting him. Like him or not, he is the greatest player the Panthers ever had, they treated him like he was a backup. They lied about Olsen's departure and have been pretty scummy to departing players.

I want to support the team that supports our guys, I understood beween 1995 why the Panthers we're ignoring Clemson players... #1 They passed on Mackenzie Alexander to draft a bust (vernon butler) the year after the Panther brought everyone back from a SB year besides the secondary. What happened? Julio Jones caught 300 yards receiving in one game while Butler sat on the bench. He is unemployed and Alexander while not being top 5, has a job here.

2012-2020 the Panthers had no excuse to not bring on guys from here... The year they drafted Vernon Butler? Grady Jarrett Dropped 4 rounds to... The Atlanta Falcons... The Panthers are closer to Clemson then them, they have no excuse to not be able to tell his talent.

Adam Humphries? Tampa Bay

Hunter Renfrow

Also, calling CJ Spiller a bust when he spent his prime years returning kicks and running for a terrible Buffalo Bills team is foolish. He had a 1,200-yard campaign and was a heck of a KR for them.

Including Receiving yards, the year after that he had over 1,000 yards again...

Two 1,000 yard campaigns in a rookie deal is not bust worthy numbers, also as earlier stated, he was lethal in the KR game.

Spiller was 27 when he left the Buffalo Bills, around 29-30 is the death date for RBs, of course he never had amazing numbers. RBs decline between 27-28, so the 350 yards he put up the next year in NO was to be expected.

1st round pick worthy? No, but he was by no means a bust. Give Spiller a real o-line, he would've done 10x better.

Deandre Hopkins: Best WR in the game, I'm sure Cam would've rather had Hopkins over Star Lotuleli in the Super Bowl.

They screwed over Bashaud Breeland because he had a minor cut in his foot that got re-infected without him knowing. He came somewhere else the next year and did solid. They spent the money on Dontari Poe who was underwhelming.

I notice one thing, everyone who leaves Charlotte does so angrily and bitter. Vic Beasley wasn't all over twitter bad-mouthing the Falcons when he was not resigned. This franchise cut Steve freaking Smith to make Kelvin freaking Benjamin their number 1. The laughable part is they hadn't even drafted him when they did it.

Damiere Byrd got 2-3 years of chances to make the team while Boulware wasn't even offered a spot on the practice squad. When a team in Las Vegas affiliates more with your alma-mater more than the team 2 hours north of the school, that's it. Atlanta made a big statement of what they think of Clemson men on Thursday. It seems the last Clemson player they drafted that wasn't rated high is doing fairly well, #1 paid DT in the leauge.

Apr 26, 2020, 12:14 AM

How many of the Panthers first picks have been busts? Tim B, Anderson, Carruth, Peter, Otah, Benjamin, Butler, Star?

Pro sports summed up pretty well with this quote:

Apr 27, 2020, 7:08 AM

“Should I look for another NFL team?”

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic