Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can someone please explain
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 3,327

Can someone please explain

Jan 14, 2020, 6:47 AM

How against a team that we knew coming in was VERY weak against the run all season and we did not come into the game with plenty of unique designed runs? I give credit to Tee for his great run, but what about Etienne? How about designed QB runs? Our offensive coaches really dropped the ball this game. 25 points in the national championship against THAT defense is just inexcusable.

I think we are going to be really really solid on defense next season. I'm still concerned about the lack of DT depth but we will have studs. What really is worrying me is if Elliott can change up our scheme to give our receivers a better chance to get the ball. All season we used the run to set up the pass, but last night it was just pass pass pass after halftime. Higgins has had a pretty good season but considering our competition and the overall output we should have done way better. I don't think we've had a worse back to back games for our receivers in a long long time.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can someone please explain

Jan 14, 2020, 6:57 AM

Its seems we should have solid DT depth next year imo. I agree with all of the rest of that though.

Jan 14, 2020, 6:59 AM

I have not liked our offensive philosophy since Elliott has been oc but hard to change when you win 29 in a row.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm just flabbergasted

Jan 14, 2020, 7:03 AM

Everyone knew coming into this game we needed to limit Burrows possessions by running the ball. They weren't stopping Etienne early and we didn't stick with it. Blows my mind.

Even if Lawrence hit all of his layups i'm not sure it would have been enough. We needed to run the ball.

Re: I'm just flabbergasted

Jan 14, 2020, 7:40 AM

ETN was killing it and we didn’t stay with him. Difference in the game. Our defense made plenty of stops. This game on the O play calling. Still ALL IN! Go tigers!

Jan 14, 2020, 7:01 AM

No, I can't but maybe you can explain to me how going in we knew we had to contain Joe Burrow.
How did that work out?

Jan 14, 2020, 7:45 AM

I dont have an explanation. Honestly the only thing i can think of was they started to panick after LSU had their point avalanche and thought they had to use TL to win in a shoot out. You guys looked like the dominate team for most of that first half, but then the game sped up too fast and your players/coaches did not calm down.

Our offense has lacked creativity for a LONG time.

Jan 14, 2020, 7:49 AM

Generally our "strategy" has been to just execute simple plays well and make the other team stop us. And it has generally worked well because we usually have better talent on the field.

But, as you have seen last night, whenever we need some creativity to overcome a really good defense we tend to fall short.

I was happy early on in the game when we ran a lot of plays we haven't seen all year.

We seemed to revert to vanilla play calling, however, when our execution got worse and worse.

Jan 14, 2020, 7:50 AM

Thats the only thing that makes sense to me because what i saw from you in the 2nd half was NOT your identity. I watched many of your games leading up to the fiesta bowl, and your team is at its best when you are balanced.

Balanced got you SC/Virginia/GT/FLSt. results
Forcing TL got you NC/Lville

We beat Lville 45-10

Jan 14, 2020, 8:01 AM

Trevor had an off night against a team with very good defensive backs. LSU has good team speed and our strength in the run game has been on the edge where we usually have a great speed advantage.

Our weaknesses this year were on the lines of scrimmage. On defense the reason for that is obvious; our OL struggles with between-the-tackles run blocks. Not sure if that’s a talent thing or coaching, but it’s an area we need to improve in IMO.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2020, 7:53 AM

Agree about the offensive scheme. We have had some incredible talent that has come through to mask the lack of the scheme.

Hoping they watch some tape of what LSU did this year and adjust some things on offense.

TL was off and missed a few open guys, but our receivers were not open.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2020, 8:00 AM

Half true. On offense yes, your scheme on defense however makes it a fking nightmare.

Jan 14, 2020, 8:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Can someone please explain ]

You have the current best DC in college football right now.. and i dont think it is even remotely close.

Jan 14, 2020, 8:01 AM

You should check your fax machine after lunch today - I’m sure there will be an Offensive Coordinator contract waiting for you to sign.

Jan 14, 2020, 8:07 AM

Felt like we abandoned the run a little early in the second half, it had me scratching my head too.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2020, 10:17 AM

Both OSU and LSU used tempo against us effectively, too. But I honestly can't remember any use of tempo on our part--if I'm forgetting something, it's maybe because it was forgettable.

They seem to have gradually abandoned Chad Morris's up-tempo approach--which was effective--except in 2-minute situations.

That has fizzled out after Deshaun Watson left***

Jan 14, 2020, 10:19 AM

Jan 14, 2020, 10:22 AM

Well, people were looking at LSU's defense was playing (ole miss game) rather than looking at how they are playing.

Since the LSU defense was embarrassed by Ole Miss and the talk began that the defense wasn’t good enough to win a championship...

In the last 4 games LSU is giving up (how that number would rank nationally)

270 yards per game (4th)

16.25 points per game (11th)

4.14 yards per play (2nd)

26.7% 3rd down conversion defense (2nd)

quote:
LSU's passing D, last 3 games:

A&M: 11-34 (32.7%), 97 yards, 0 TDs, 3 INTs, 2.9 ypa, 38.7 passer rating

UGA: 20-43 (46.5%), 225 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs, 5.2 ypa, 88.9 passer rating

Oklahoma: 16-34 (47.0%), 225 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT, 6.6 ypa, 96.7 rating

quote:
Total: Total: 47-111 (39.6%), 547 yards, 1 TD, 6 INTs, 4.9 yards per attempt, 73.2 passer rating

The number one passer rating defense in the country coming into today was Clemson's at 92.81.

LSU's passing defense is on a different level right now.

quote:
LSU's rushing D, last 3 games:

A&M: 26 att, 72 yards
UGA: 25 att, 61 yards
Oklahoma: 28 att, 97 yards

Total: 79 carries, 230 yards, 2.9 ypc, 76.7 ypg

Over season, would rank 3rd nationally in YPG and 5th in YPC

Considering the stats for the National Championship game on D, it was just a continuation of how they are playing now vs how they (WERE) playing via the Ole Miss game.

Replies: 17
| visibility 3,327
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic