Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can I get a reminder on what the rules are about ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 998

Can I get a reminder on what the rules are about ...

Sep 21, 2016, 1:34 PM

Blocking below the waist?

I know it's only allowed in certain instances to prevent crack back blocks that could cause serious injury but I don't remember exactly what the rules are. Also if a GT player is on the ground and tries to "block" by grabbing at a defensive player's legs, is that allowed?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can I get a reminder on what the rules are about ...

Sep 21, 2016, 1:38 PM

Playing at home Georgia Tech can get away with pretty much anything!

if a defender is already engaged by a blocker, it is illegal

Sep 21, 2016, 1:58 PM

for another blocker to block the defender below the waist. You'll get plenty of illustrations tomorrow night

Re: if a defender is already engaged by a blocker, it is illegal

Sep 21, 2016, 2:33 PM

Short answer is, "yes, it is illegal for another player to block below the waist." However, (1) the game is at Grant Field, and (2) if (God forbid) Ron Cherry is the Referee, he will be looking only at Thomas Austin for a holding call.

Go Tigers! Give 'em the bidness!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: if a defender is already engaged by a blocker, it is illegal

Sep 21, 2016, 2:44 PM

It is not illegal to block bellow the waist. Cut block and chop blocks are two different things. It's in the ncaa rule book.

Sep 21, 2016, 2:42 PM

You can only block bellow the waist if it's you and the defender, that's what is called a cut block. The term chop block is used when a players is engaged with a defender above the waist and another player comes and cuts the defender below the waist, that is illegal. cut blocks must be done no further than 5 yards down field as well, or it becomes illegal.

Sep 21, 2016, 5:11 PM

None of you guys answered my question, so i looked it up. I wasn't referring to chop blocks.

The rule is that in general all blocks below the waist are illegal, but there are exceptions.

1) You can block below the waist in any direction if you're an offensive player lined up on the line within 7 yards of the ball (so all offensive linemen and tight ends lined up immediately next to OTs) or if you're in the backfield and lined up completely inside the tackle box

2) You can also block below the waist if you're an offensive player and you block north and south or towards the sideline on the side of the ball you lined up on. This means that you can NOT block below the waist in the direction of the opposite sideline if you're not one of the players identified in section 1 above.

Blocking below the waist is never allowed on a scrimmage kick or after a change of possession, kickoff, etc.

Replies: 6
| visibility 998
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic