Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can 5’8” Senior Will Swinney be our next Renfrow?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Can 5’8” Senior Will Swinney be our next Renfrow?

Feb 22, 2020, 9:41 AM

Hunter had an uncanny ability to find the open seam, catch anything thrown at him and then his real talent to me was his ankle breaking cut left or right to elude the tackler..along with deceptive speed.

Will is scrappy, a go-getter and competitive.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can 5’8” Senior Will Swinney be our next Renfrow?

Feb 22, 2020, 9:42 AM

No

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can 5’8” Senior Will Swinney be our next Renfrew?

Feb 22, 2020, 9:45 AM

Doubtful - Renfrow was a generational player. Sweeney should just focus on becoming the best player he can be without trying to live up to the legend of Renfrow.

Re: HR talent

Feb 22, 2020, 4:22 PM

Is his hands. Rarely missed a catchable ball and often snagged the difficult one.
That and his Jedi mind control over the defender. Made them believe the deception and underestimate him. Dang go blocker too. Even made a game changing tackle. Great head for the game. Hope he returns as a coach.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tongue in cheek, I presume.***

Feb 22, 2020, 9:52 AM

nope, not will Bill***

Feb 22, 2020, 1:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2020, 9:54 AM

They'll never be another "Third and Renfrow"

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Feb 22, 2020, 9:56 AM

amari and the next 13 will be just fine in the slot this year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2020, 2:33 PM

Lol. Amari is nowhere close to being as good as Renfrow. He has a real problem getting open, something Renfrow did with ease. And if you’re saying Spector is going to be just as good as Renfrow, then you must have some inside knowledge. He hasn’t shown anything in a game yet since he redshirted last year.

Uh

Feb 22, 2020, 9:56 AM

no.

But, Amari Rodgers, with a year to get his leg stronger and gain more confidence in it will have a big year for us. Hopefully, with our TE(multiple?) and RB more involved in the passing game, and the emergence of a Frank Ladson and Joe Ngata, we should be able to spread people out a bit more and open up our offense for everyone.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Uh

Feb 22, 2020, 10:07 AM

no.

But, Amari Rodgers, with a year to get his leg stronger and gain more confidence in it will have a big year for us. Hopefully, with our TE(multiple?) and RB more involved in the passing game, and the emergence of a Frank Ladson and Joe Ngata, we should be able to spread people out a bit more and open up our offense for everyone.

Amari's not the same kind of receiver. What Renfrow was really good at was beating zone coverage - he's pretty much uncovereable in zone coverage (even at the NFL level) because he's so good at running his routes and finding that soft spot in the zone, and showing his numbers to the QB at the exact time the QB needs him.

Rogers is, to my eyes anyhow, a weak route-runner. He's an awesome broken-field runner, and maybe the most dangerous guy on the team with the ball in his hands and a little space to work with, but he really disappointed me last year as a slot...if you go back and watch the film, he's just sort of sluggishly wandering around out there seemingly waiting for the ball to find him. He's not nearly crisp enough into his breaks and unlike Renfrow, who looked like the first guy out to practice and was wide open on every play, he's just not open enough.

Brannon Spector is indeed wearing #13, but it remains to be seen if he can really excel at that slot position the way Curtis Baham, Tyler Grisham, Adam Humphries, and Renfrow all did. We didn't have one of those kind of guys last year and it did hurt us at times, especially in the final.

Agree. If one has to ask if a second year player can be

Feb 22, 2020, 11:06 AM

the next Renfro, he's already not. If its not Spector, there is not one on the team, and we will likely never have one.

There are just very few players who can be like that, continually improving and excelling no matter what happens around them, making other players better. Dex made everybody better. Renfro made everybody better. Watson made everybody better. Even very talented players need those players around them.

Maybe one thing that made Renfro so good is that, along with unreal skills, it didn't bother him that few of his plays were highlight plays. Maybe having players with one asset or the other is ofter not an issue, but finding players with both is hard.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2020, 10:16 AM [ in reply to Uh ]

I think Amari is going to be great next year and maybe even better than Renfrow ever was. He can do some things that Renfrow cant. On the other hand, Renfrow had the best hands. Anyway, thrilled to see Amari 100% all year next year. He is going to be awesome.

Feb 25, 2024, 4:27 PM

We'll see if the light goes on for Rogers as far as running his routes. He didn't really have the benefit of a camp or a lot of reps at the slot in years prior and it looked like he sort of threw up his hands later on in the year...I did hear he got called out for lack of effort at practice, which was distinctly not characteristic of him his first couple seasons.

I personally think he wasn't 100% because of his knee, frustrated the ball wasn't finding him the way he was used to, and the light just wasn't on for him as far as the intricacies of the new position. Working the slot is entirely different than playing the outside. If it starts to click for him, yeah, he's an entirely different bird than Renfrow or Humphries because he is so much more dangerous with the ball in his hands.

If it doesn't, he may need to switch back to the 2-man spot. Be curious to see what happens this year.

Feb 22, 2020, 10:43 AM [ in reply to Uh ]

There really was too much focus on just Higgins and Ross in the passing game this past year. Not sure if it was the play calling or Lawrence just having too much confidence in those two guys, but it was all too noticeable in the playoffs for sure. And when one of the two went out for injury our rest, the defenses in the playoffs knew they only had one receiver to key on. Hopefully we figure out a better way to make sure the ball is spread around all year next year. It does help with better receiving TEs and RBs.

Feb 22, 2020, 11:41 AM

Think that was one of our problems against LSU -TL was just looking for Higgins. That's not play calling. Plays are not called for one receiver. It is the qb's job to find whoever is open.

Feb 22, 2020, 1:21 PM

Agree, but it also seemed sometimes we had no safety dump off when the primary guy wasn't open, and everyone else was running long developing routes. Different play calling might give the QB easier alternatives when rushed.

Renfrow was doing it from the first practice as a freshman

Feb 22, 2020, 9:58 AM

So probably not, but Spector has potential. But none of them are Renfrow caliber. That was lightning in a bottle don’t expect that ever again.

Re: Renfrow was doing it from the first practice as a freshman

Feb 22, 2020, 10:17 AM

Maybe we should make a point of looking for another guy like that - maybe one of these guys that gets categorized as an athlete rather than at any particular position.

Renfrow was a great receiver, but he also put tremendous pressure on the defense and that made everyone around him better, too.

Re: Renfrow was doing it from the first practice as a freshman

Feb 22, 2020, 10:17 AM [ in reply to Renfrow was doing it from the first practice as a freshman ]

Renfrow is even doing it in the NFL too. Always proving the doubters wrong.

Renfrow lit up a 5 star defensive back as a freshman.

Feb 22, 2020, 10:54 AM

If he was a replacement for renfrow he’d have already declared himself by now

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2020, 10:57 AM

Little Will. He is a “ cutie.” Old Ora is pulling for him. Hope Spud is.

He’ll be our next Jeff Scott.***

Feb 22, 2020, 11:03 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2020, 11:09 AM

No...Spector!

Will is a scrappy, high football IQ, film junkie, student of the game..

Feb 22, 2020, 1:01 PM

...deceptively quick, heady, gritty, tough, lunch pail carrying, throwback kind of receiver.

But is not and will not be the next Renfrow.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You've got a better shot at being our next Bob Bradley***

Feb 22, 2020, 2:51 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not sure if Will is small enough.***

Feb 22, 2020, 2:53 PM

Feb 22, 2020, 3:13 PM

Renfro performed exceedingly well for 3 years; Not just Senior year. I would love for someone to step up and be “Renfro like”.

Nope. Renfrow was 100x better the first day he stepped onto the field for the Tigers

Feb 22, 2020, 3:23 PM

than Swinney is now after years in the program.

No***

Feb 22, 2020, 4:05 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No***

Feb 22, 2020, 8:50 PM

No on Will Sweeney being the next Renfrow. Lets be honest.... the fact Will Sweeney was even mentioned in the WR depth is quite comical. He is the holder and on the 3 deep for "3rd string punt returner" and WR b/c he is Dabo's son. It is funny we even have a 3 deep or the "or" we use on our two deep to put in another name. I do not have a problem with that... that is life. But don't tell me when he was a true freshman and got the holding job, there weren't 40 other guys on the team that would have done just as well, were more athletic and had 2-3 years under there belt on the team. Why isn't the 3rd string QB the holder.... at least it opens up fake field goal options.

If any other 3rd string punt returner muffed a punt in a game, do you think they would get another chance ?

Does Will bust his ### ? yes he does. Does he do the little things right ? yes he does. Same thing happened when Jeff Scott was a redshirt freshman and was the holder. But it worked out for Clemson.

But that is life... happens in the real world and it happens in college football. Sometimes you get the job b/c you are the best man for the job, sometimes you get it b/c you know the right person, and sometimes you get it b/c of your Dad. We are over our scholarship count.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2020, 9:24 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2020, 9:39 PM

I want to delete my previous post, but I will own up to it. Just checked the scholarship tab under football and the only coaches' son on scholarship is Ben Batson and Jake Venebles. Neither Sweeney kid is listed. And Will wasn't listed as the third team punt returner on the Natty Depth Chart. We only officially went two deep on the punt returners.

Again, I know he works his ### off and has the talent to be the holder and third team punt returner and maybe even third team WR, but my point was he never would have got a look if he wasn't Dabo's son, but to further discredit my original post, that is life.

Go Tigers !!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2020, 9:30 PM

I doubt we see another Renfrow, at least in MY lifetime. Renfrow was off the charts great.

ummm, no***

Feb 22, 2020, 9:49 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you need to get whatever # GF you are with

Feb 23, 2020, 6:29 AM

To wear less clothing in that RV and you won’t have time to come up with crazy posts like this

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic