Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Campus Update: Family of Tucker Hipps files lawsuit against Fraternity, Clemson, others
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Campus Update: Family of Tucker Hipps files lawsuit against Fraternity, Clemson, others

Mar 30, 2015, 6:52 PM

Family of Tucker Hipps files lawsuit against Fraternity, Clemson, others

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Campus Update: Family of Tucker Hipps files lawsuit against Fraternity, Clemson, others

Mar 31, 2015, 5:55 AM

Horrible loss for the family but suing everyone won't bring him back. Ridiculous.

Re: Campus Update: Family of Tucker Hipps files lawsuit against Fraternity, Clemson, others

Mar 31, 2015, 11:12 AM

Suing will not bring him back, but it might force some answers out of someone.

Thank you, nocoothere.

Mar 31, 2015, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Campus Update: Family of Tucker Hipps files lawsuit against Fraternity, Clemson, others ]

Suing MY university because your son made a decision and elected to join a fraternity? Look, sometimes accidents happen. My best friend died in a boating accident on Lake Hartwell when we were rising juniors at Clemson. None of this is going to bring him back. The kids that may know what happened will have to live with it for forever. Now the family wants to sue and profit from this? Not cool if you ask me.

Re: Thank you, nocoothere.

Mar 31, 2015, 12:18 PM

Another asinine post...some of you just don't get it..smfh again

If my son died, I'd want to know how/why and if it meant

Mar 31, 2015, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Thank you, nocoothere. ]

suing people to get answers, so be it...It's really a shame that it had to come to this

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed

Mar 31, 2015, 12:40 PM

Thanks for pointing out the obvious

Re: Thank you, nocoothere.

Apr 1, 2015, 11:10 AM [ in reply to Thank you, nocoothere. ]

Did you read anything about this story and what may have been the cause? I'd recommend doing so if you haven't read the details of the law suit. If I were the parents I'd absolutely want to get answers, and pushing this sort of suit will potentially get some.

You said you lost your friend when you were juniors, but you know exactly how. You have closure. If you didn't know the circumstances of your friend's death, you'd probably feel differently. Now imagine it was your son who died.

Not to make light of the situation, but you sound a lot like Principal Skinner in Treehouse of Horror VI:

"Children, I couldn't help monitoring your conversation. There's no mystery about Willy. Why, he simply disappeared. Now, let's have no more curiosity about this bizarre cover-up."

Do you think they are suing to resurect him?***

Mar 31, 2015, 12:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Campus Update: Family of Tucker Hipps files lawsuit against Fraternity, Clemson, others ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, but it may prevent a similar situation in the future

Mar 31, 2015, 5:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Campus Update: Family of Tucker Hipps files lawsuit against Fraternity, Clemson, others ]

What's so ridiculous about that? Based on what we've heard so far, the fraternity was, at a minimum, negligent. Whether the university should be held liable for anything has yet to be determined.
But, it's easy to sit back and criticize someone for suing when you're not, and have never been, in their shoes.

Aug 13, 2015, 7:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Campus Update: Family of Tucker Hipps files lawsuit against Fraternity, Clemson, others ]

Roll call time for all the ####### who thought the family should drop it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Mar 31, 2015, 12:01 PM

These parents deserve to know what happened to their son. I am sorry they feel they cannot get answers from those who may know without suing, but I cannot see how Clemson University is liable for the death of their son or for any misbehavior or even any coverup by individual students.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 31, 2015, 2:53 PM

I guess you missed the part where the frat asked to run pledges on the bridger via e-mail to the school and the school ignored so they assumed it was "ok" to do whatever it is they did. The frat is on school grounds and has a charter through Clemson and is governed by the Clemson IFC so I guessd it could be considered lack of "institutional control" to some extent. There were some insane amount of Hazing incidents the school knew about throughout the Greek system at the same time supposedly

Mar 31, 2015, 4:19 PM

At this point, accusations do not equate facts. An email was sent to "the school" and "the school" did not reply? Sounds like an accusation not a fact.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 31, 2015, 10:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Campus Update: Family of Tucker Hipps files lawsuit against Fraternity, Clemson, others ]

So the frat emails Clemson to ask if they can do something that is against Clemson's policies, and since they didn't receive a response, they assume it's ok and that Clemson is ok with it? What kind of logic is that?? How does not receiving a response equal approval? Makes no sense at all.

If Clemson is responsible because the frat is an organization within the university and all of that, then since Clemson is a public university, the state of South Carolina is also responsible, and since SC is part of the US, the federal government is also responsible. That doesn't make sense either. You can't prevent everybody from breaking rules/laws. If that was true there would literally be no crime. Clemson has policies against hazing. They can enforce those policies and punish anyone who violates them. That's all they can do.

Clemson University was named in the suit for one reason and one reason only...$$$, and that's the most certain fact in the whole case. The students nor the fraternity has millions of dollars, so what's the entity nearest to the case that does have millions of dollars? Clemson University.

Apr 1, 2015, 7:59 AM

I don't think you understand how torts work.

It's unlikely a penny will be paid by Clemson to the family.

However, the resultant black eye will cost enough, hopefully enough to enact and actually enforce some functional measures that will help prevent future like tragedies.

Apr 1, 2015, 9:49 AM

Thank you !

I hope this will bring the Hipps family the answers they are looking for ...

Two questions I want answered : What actually happened on the bridge ? What happened in the time between the incident and the police report? ?

God bless the Hipps family ...

Apr 1, 2015, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Campus Update: Family of Tucker Hipps files lawsuit against Fraternity, Clemson, others ]

You're saying people don't sue other people and businesses with lots of money that are marginally related to the case in hopes of getting a settlement? That doesn't happen? And since that doesn't happen, it also never happens that those cases are often settled out of court because it's so ridiculously expensive and time consuming to defend such cases and sometimes it's also the PC thing to do? Well I must be more senile than I thought because I could have sworn that I see that happening all the time.

Maybe I was a bit hasty in saying that including Clemson in the suit was all about money. It's possible this is one of the rare times that a lawsuit isn't about money. Maybe you're one of the few lawyers that do things for the right reason, but like the saying goes, 99% of lawyers give the rest of them a bad name. I'll stick with the odds and assume it's about money. And I'd say it's very likely Clemson will end up paying money to the family.

Mar 31, 2015, 11:46 PM

I am an alumni of Clemson and I was a member of a frat while at Clemson. Clemson has allowed this kind of behavior to continue. The hazing is WRONG!!! A student is dead because of it and the University has done a horrible job of finding out what happen. When you attend Clemson you sign a honor code. During the investigation, any student that did not tell the truth concerning what happened should be out. Any pledge or brother that has not be forth coming should be removed from the University.
I have two children, I do not know what I would have done if this had happened to one of them, but I believe that the University has been negligent in handling the hazing going on. I do not believe they have pushed with what is available to them to find the truth.
I feel so bad for this family, and anything that they do to maybe stop it happening to someone else, I am for.

Taking emotion out of the issue I know is difficult but ..

Apr 1, 2015, 12:43 AM

from what I have read (granted I am far from knowing all the facts in this case certainly).

Fraternity asks Clemson for permission for a run via email with no response.

Student dies during run from falling off a bridge during the run.

Was he hazed into leaping or falling from the bridge? We don't know.

Is Clemson responsible for every stupid decision by a group (frat or not) I don't know. Seems like Clemson has a pretty clear policy on hazing.

I disagree with hazing (was hazed out by a$$ while joining a frat at Clemson- no fun), I see no point in it.

I think that this country has a little bit of the "I will sue you for every bad decision I make" syndrome for sure but I will hold opinion until I know more.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think they want to know what happened if for nothing else

Aug 13, 2015, 8:38 PM

to get closure. Most of us feel that way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Taking emotion out of the issue I know is difficult but ..

Aug 13, 2015, 9:01 PM [ in reply to Taking emotion out of the issue I know is difficult but .. ]

> from what I have read (granted I am far from knowing
> all the facts in this case certainly).
>
> Fraternity asks Clemson for permission for a run via
> email with no response.
>
> Student dies during run from falling off a bridge
> during the run.
>
> Was he hazed into leaping or falling from the bridge?
> We don't know.
>
> Is Clemson responsible for every stupid decision by a
> group (frat or not) I don't know. Seems like Clemson
> has a pretty clear policy on hazing.
>
> I disagree with hazing (was hazed out by a$$ while
> joining a frat at Clemson- no fun), I see no point in
> it.
>
> I think that this country has a little bit of the "I
> will sue you for every bad decision I make" syndrome
> for sure but I will hold opinion until I know more.

First, it's impossible to "take emotion" out your child dying with no plausible explanation as to why. Secondly, you should look at the difference between criminal and civil procedure. In a criminal case you are not compelled to cooperate with the police. You don't have to answer squat if you choose not to. Sooo, after they get past "I didn't see anything and I don't know anything" the cops are stuck.

In a civil suit you can be subpoenaed by the plaintiff and you have to answer questions truthfully, under oath....otherwise it's perjury which you can go to jail for. You can claim 5th amendment protection against 'self-incrimination'....but that's risky if you've already told the cops didn't see anything and don't know anything.

The Civil suit is a way the family can find answers to the most important questions of their lives. I love Clemson, I went there, my dad and 2 brothers went there; but if my son died the way Tucker Hipps did and I couldn't get answers? I'd tear the place down brick by brick until I got answers. Some things are more important than loyalty to a freakin school.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this family lost a son and has every single right to sue

Aug 13, 2015, 7:57 PM

If they feel it's necessary. A jury will decide things and that's how it should be. I'm a Clemson fan but an American first and this is their right. So be it.

Look, I don't know the specifics in this case but in general

Aug 13, 2015, 10:01 PM

our society has become over-litigious and it's a huge detriment to so many things IMHO.

For example, I am a teacher and I was simply closing the door after the tardy bell rang and a late student in the hall yells to me..."close that and I'll sue you!". Really?

I simply told the kid that she could sue me and get my Prius if she felt so inclined (Prius isn't the hip choice of the student populous). No one wants or feels the need to be responsible for their own actions these days. It's sad.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can see how those things are similar

Aug 13, 2015, 11:42 PM

In one case, an 18 year old dies during fraternity hazing. In the other, a kid is being stupid. As a teacher, I wouldn't have even dignified the comment with a response.

If you think filing a lawsuit to try and find out how and why your kid mysteriously ended up floating face down in a lake after a supposed run is "over-litigious" then I'm not sure what meets your standards.

Re: I can see how those things are similar

Aug 13, 2015, 11:57 PM

If you reread my post you'd know that I wasn't specifically talking about this case. By all means, it may be a perfectly justified law suit.

I was just commenting on how nowadays our youth (who reflect our neo-culture) is leaning on the lawsuit as a means of zero accountability. It's a fixture now in our society and I'll repeat. It's sad.

If you're not talking about this case

Aug 14, 2015, 12:00 AM

Then why do you keep posting the same "I don't know what happened" but people sue too much, in a thread about a family suing a bunch of people, including Clemson, because their son mysteriously ended up in the lake (not the first Clemson student to be found dead in the lake under mysterious causes).

It sure seems like you're talking about this particular case. If you're not, I'm not sure why you're airing your general grievances about neo-culture in this particular thread.

I get what you are saying.....

Aug 14, 2015, 12:11 AM

maybe it's simply a case of many who are crying wolf. With a culture of "sue first and assume responsibility only if I have to" weakens legitimate legal actions of sincere cases in the eyes of many like me.

Re: I get what you are saying.....

Aug 14, 2015, 12:55 AM

If I were your lawyer, I'd advise you to stop talking. You're really not coming off well during this exchange, regardless of what your intentions are.

Aug 14, 2015, 9:01 AM

Whatever. I would advise you do the same because the further this exchange goes you are looking more and more like a very narrow-minded person (not saying that you are because I don't know you). We are all entitled to our opinions even if they differ from yours.

Aug 14, 2015, 4:44 PM

Maybe you didn't notice, but that was my first post in the exchange. Ultimately you keep on repeating that our society is overly-litigious, but this situation is clearly not an example of that...yet you keep repeating it and then play dumb when someone calls you out.

Amen. My first post in this, too. Pacific - you sound like a

Aug 15, 2015, 12:07 AM

typical, out of touch with the real world academia flake.

Those that can't do, teach.

Give it up. This is a case of a family with a child with his whole promising life ahead of him killed by a group of people chartered & allowed to exist by our University.

And it has been nothing but lies & deceit from the moment this fellow Tiger brother died.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Aug 14, 2015, 11:51 PM [ in reply to Re: I get what you are saying..... ]

> Whatever. I would advise you do the same because the
> further this exchange goes you are looking more and
> more like a very narrow-minded person (not saying
> that you are because I don't know you). We are all
> entitled to our opinions even if they differ from
> yours.

I'm suing you, your opinion scares me and makes it difficult to go outside by myself now. As a result I will experience a loss of income 'cause I can't go to work, loss of social prestige because I will become a recluse and not be popular anymore. Then there's also your acts by omission or commission are detrimental to my health because now all I can do is sit in front of the tv eating Little Debbie cakes which clogs my arteries and will inevitably lead to a heart attack. I figure 5 million sounds about right....that is unless you want to settle...

Plus you insulted my buddy Tmac so this litigation will likely turn into a class-action suit. You should settle before this action becomes a runaway train.

;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In reply to the "if I was a teacher comment"

Aug 14, 2015, 12:21 AM [ in reply to I can see how those things are similar ]

you're exactly right. There are many ways to deal with those types of comments and your suggestion is awesome and a good one.

It was, in my experience, the best way to deal with this particular student in this particular situation. There are many ways to skin a cat so to speak. You're never quite sure if what you are trying to do in each situation achieves the result you want but in this case it all worked out and diffused a belligerent student's attitude with a smile and chuckle. If you walked in the shoes of a teacher in public school for a day you would know exactly what I was talking about.

this lawsuit was filed months ago

Aug 13, 2015, 11:26 PM

It's an amended complaint due to to new information.

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic