Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Campus Update: Clemson trustees call for removal of Confederate flag
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Campus Update: Clemson trustees call for removal of Confederate flag

Jun 29, 2015, 4:04 PM

Clemson trustees call for removal of Confederate flag

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Campus Update: Clemson trustees call for removal of Confederate flag

Jun 29, 2015, 4:17 PM

I think the decision that the Board of Trustee's is a great show of support. They also voted for the same in 1999/2000. It's great to see the building support for the Flag to be moved off State House grounds and placed in a more suitable place, such as a museum. As a lifelong Charleston resident, it has been a sad time for the last few weeks, but Charleston is strong and we will continue forward. Thanks for all the support from Clemson University, as well as the students and faculty. GO TIGERS!!!

Jun 29, 2015, 4:51 PM

There are those who would say this is hypocritical considering the board's position with B.R. Tillman.

Jun 29, 2015, 5:33 PM

Exactly what I have been thinking. I am fine with the position but the president and the board have set themselves up to either change the name of Tillman or look like the biggest bunch of hypocrites in SC. Get ready for this topic to get large soon.

Jun 29, 2015, 11:13 PM

Nah different set of circumstances

Jun 29, 2015, 5:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Campus Update: Clemson trustees call for removal of Confederate flag ]

I don't see any folks like wimpy,who killed the people in
the Holy City,posting pics or riding around,with cardboard
cut outs,of Tillman.I don't see Tillman flags either.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2015, 11:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Campus Update: Clemson trustees call for removal of Confederate flag ]

Just you hypocritical coots

Oh, the humanity!

Jun 29, 2015, 4:58 PM

This will destroy recruiting!!

Lol***

Jun 29, 2015, 5:03 PM

Great move by the BOT. Makes me proud to be a Tiger.***

Jun 29, 2015, 5:01 PM

I was proud right up until I got to the last line. Why

Jun 29, 2015, 11:10 PM

they just have the guts to leave that off. What does it mean? A museum is fine, a different flagpole somewhere, not fine.

Wow, going out on a limb

Jun 29, 2015, 5:40 PM

only 99% of all politicians want the flag down.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Calhoun, Clemson and Tillman

Jun 29, 2015, 6:13 PM

The flag is the easy issue.....what will the BOT do when the protesters show up this Fall protesting and demanding that these names be removed? Do the protesters stop at Tillman? Maybe. But John C Calhoun is already under attack nationally and Clemson was a Confederate Soldier and son in law of Calhoun. Don't discount anything, better have a plan together.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Calhoun, Clemson and Tillman

Jun 29, 2015, 7:19 PM

Nobody cares about who fought for who or owned what where ...the flag is a polarizing fall-guy ...and this entire spectacle will finally die down afyer it is off of state houses , forts , parks and other public properties where it has no business in the first place .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jul 2, 2015, 7:51 AM

Didn't vote to change the name of Tilman Hall? Don't get the flag bold move?

Jun 29, 2015, 8:45 PM [ in reply to Calhoun, Clemson and Tillman ]

I hope not, but I think that is coming too. I agree they had better be proactive and plan ahead unless it's is their plan to let it happen. If you think it is just going to go away, you are fooling yourself. The removal of the flag will only spur it on.

Jun 29, 2015, 11:16 PM [ in reply to Calhoun, Clemson and Tillman ]

Plan A: march in Columbia and demand usuck change their building names

Thomas Sumter was known as the "Fighting Gamecock"........

Jun 29, 2015, 11:38 PM

and was a large plantation owner. They also have Wade Hampton Hall, so they have their issues, too. Even when the flag comes down, I'm afraid it will not stop. A Bill has already been introduced in the Minnesota that would remove/change the name of a lake.....it is currently named the John C. Calhoun lake. Also, there is a movement at Yale to change the name of one of their College's on their campus.....Calhoun College, named after John C Calhoun. This is why I believe the flag issue is the easy one to resolve.

Re: Thomas Sumter was known as the "Fighting Gamecock"........

Jun 30, 2015, 3:34 PM

what's the point in name changing everything? If you look at a name of a building and think its racists, you should probably get a life or job. slavery was a way of life for the entire world. it was in the US Constitution. how can you blame people for following the laws in place at the time. it doesn't mean the majority of people still have our even condone slavery now.

Tell them to kindly #### off?***

Jun 30, 2015, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Calhoun, Clemson and Tillman ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Jun 29, 2015, 9:11 PM

I think they need to worry about what happens on the campus and the campus only, keep their nose out of politics. Now every little Tom, ####,and Harry want to say they are against the history of a flag just to appease the PC crowd. Shut your mouths and let the citizens vote on it and what ever happens is the end of it.

Jun 29, 2015, 9:23 PM

If being compassionate and having love for your brothers in this human experience is being "PC" , i guess i got a new label .
Oh and by the way , the board of directors always has a say in matters such as these that affect the student population , whether it be from an educational standpoint or just about an old flag .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jun 29, 2015, 9:26 PM

The only folks that I would think would try to keep something like that agenda alive would be the folks who think that the confederate flag is not an offensive thing in the first place .
Its pretty polarizing to be sure . Which one are you ?

DB23

Sharpton was in....

Jun 29, 2015, 9:38 PM

New York Saturday protesting a street named after Robert E. Lee, so there is a precedent for this type of thing. All I'm saying is that the BOT and General Assembly better be prepared for anything. We have two big football games that should be slated for national TV....that is ripe pickings for an individual like Sharpton and the University has 3 potential names that he and his supporters may target. As I said before, don't discount anything.

Re: Sharpton was in....

Jun 29, 2015, 10:55 PM

Seems like a Sharpton thing. Protest the leader of the Confederate troops who didn't own slaves, but I'm sure he won't touch anything with Ulysses S. Grant's name on it even though he owned slaves throughout the war.

Jun 29, 2015, 11:09 PM

Well no ...nothing can be discounted .

DB23

Jun 30, 2015, 3:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Sharpton was in.... ]

come on now. you know a good liberal would never let facts get in the way of an agenda. I think the flag should come down, but only cause it was hijacked by the kkk and skinheads and made racists. the flag nor the war nor the south (as a whole) are at all racists.

Liberal Weenie?***

Jun 29, 2015, 9:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Campus Update: Clemson trustees call for removal of Confederate flag ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Liberal Weenie?***

Jun 29, 2015, 9:29 PM

I guess .

DB23

That's a good move.

Jun 29, 2015, 11:18 PM

It proves Clemson isn't racist.

We should not change anything on campus!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 30, 2015, 7:38 AM

• When is the last time you actually saw the Confederate flag flying at our state capital? I feel certain that most people in South Carolina have simply never even seen the flag (and most of the people in South Carolina - including our Clemson president and AD, and trustees - think that our state flag is adorned with a Palmetto tree and a crescent moon).

• Our state flag consists of a Palmetto tree and an upward facing gorget, not a crescent moon.

• It is so easy to get on the bandwagon and join the masses; taking down the Confederate flag is simply not going to solve any problems. All it will do is cause all of the ignorant racists to start flying the flag in their yards and on their cars; wearing hats and t-shirts.

• Now, you will really see the Confederate flag... what a waste of time and energy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

~• Other than THAT Jackie, how was the parade? •~

Jun 30, 2015, 3:42 PM

Egypt had slaves and every time I look at a pyramid I think of slavery. I want them all torn Down!! Africa still has slaves today and everytime I see the outline of Africa on a shirt or flag or necklace I think of slavery. I want them all gone!!! every time I look at a railroad track I think of all the Asain and Irish slaves that built them. I need them all gone!!

Jul 3, 2015, 5:37 PM

> Egypt had slaves and every time I look at a pyramid I
> think of slavery. I want them all torn Down!! Africa
> still has slaves today and everytime I see the
> outline of Africa on a shirt or flag or necklace I
> think of slavery. I want them all gone!!! every time
> I look at a railroad track I think of all the Asain
> and Irish slaves that built them. I need them all
> gone!!
Are you saying African-Americans should change the name of their race too????

American sounds fine to me.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic