Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Campus Update: Clemson trustees approve university budget, plan to demolish Clemson House
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Campus Update: Clemson trustees approve university budget, plan to demolish Clemson House

Jul 15, 2016, 4:07 PM

Clemson trustees approve university budget, plan to demolish Clemson House

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In light of this sad news, I'll repost a pic my grandfather

Jul 15, 2016, 5:00 PM
Bowman Field.jpg(160.1 K)

(Class of '48) recently dug up that he had taken.

He doesn't recall the year exactly but based on the style of cars I'd say sometime in the early 50s.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Campus Update: Clemson trustees approve university budget, plan to demolish Clemson House

Jul 15, 2016, 5:05 PM

I lived there my freshman year in 2002. I can understand it costing a lot to operate and the prohibitive amount to renovate... but it still sucks. Now I know how those Johnstone people felt when their dorms got demolished. :(

Former Johnstone resident here,

Jul 15, 2016, 5:24 PM

And I'd have gladly pressed the button to bring that thing down.

That said, E-section represent!

Re: Former Johnstone resident here,

Jul 15, 2016, 5:50 PM

I second that! Spent a summer in Johnstone. My fan blew hot air. I hope that's as close to hell as I ever get!

Re: Former Johnstone resident here,

Jul 15, 2016, 6:13 PM [ in reply to Former Johnstone resident here, ]

E 206 and E 210 were my home during my freshman and sophomore years. Both were adequate but certainly not optimum for study and making good grades. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;))

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

E-2 for 3.5 years! Great memories in the tin cans.

Jul 15, 2016, 11:48 PM [ in reply to Former Johnstone resident here, ]

Not many dorms can claim a cafeteria, canteen, bowling alley, and, can you believe it, a bar all within its complex.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Johnstone D was where it was at

Jul 16, 2016, 12:58 PM [ in reply to Former Johnstone resident here, ]

You E guys were posers

D4 from '89 to '91

Jul 17, 2016, 12:23 AM [ in reply to Former Johnstone resident here, ]

Two different rooms, don't remember the numbers. Prime viewing of the ladies walking to/from the shoeboxes.

My first girlfriend at Clemson lived in Clemson House, so I have fond memories of that place too.

'98-'02

Jul 17, 2016, 8:15 AM

Lived in Thornhill Village freshmen and sophomore years. Didn't have a meal plan as we had a kitchen. Went to Clemson House several days a week for breakfast. I think it cost around $5 and was really good. So much has changed on campus in the 18 years since I started.

I spent 3 semesters in Johnstone, I was glad to see it go.

Jul 15, 2016, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Campus Update: Clemson trustees approve university budget, plan to demolish Clemson House ]

Was more than glad when I got into Calhoun Courts starting in spring of my sophomore year.

Johnstone was temporary housing that was kept way too long. Though I believe Johnstone A is still standing behind Tillman. I was under the impression when the new buildings by the P Plant are completed Johnstone A and Harcombe will be removed.

Now the Clemson House is a bit more historical. Surprised this wasn't met with some resistance.

I lied in Johnstone for two years. I enjoyed my time

Jul 15, 2016, 5:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Campus Update: Clemson trustees approve university budget, plan to demolish Clemson House ]

there, but I was thrilled when I heard it was going to be demolished. Looking back, it is hard to believe Clemson University was dominated by that eyesore for as long as it was. I always thought Clemson had a beautiful campus, even when I attended, but I don't know how I gave a pass to Johnstone.

Johnstone was like a prison. Loud as hell and spartan

Jul 16, 2016, 1:08 PM

In its living quarters to say the least. Not too mention one big ### open shower room with no privacy. But ######, it toughened you up and these snot nosed brats now days should have to experience the hell that was Johnstone my freshman year when construction was going on outside my window daily. 7 AM sharp the crew came in and roared until dusk.

Re: Campus Update: Clemson trustees approve university budget, plan to demolish Clemson House

Jul 15, 2016, 10:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Campus Update: Clemson trustees approve university budget, plan to demolish Clemson House ]

I still shed a tear when I walk by there. Especially the backside. I lived in D, E & F

What are they going to build on that location?***

Jul 15, 2016, 5:36 PM

New Business College building may take up the space...

Jul 15, 2016, 6:19 PM

Last Fall, Clemson announced plans for a new building across from Bowman Field that may stretch up to the Clemson House property. The planned structure will be the new home of the College of Business and Behavioral Sciences.
It's also possible that the new dorms/apartments now under construction behind the Clemson House will take up some of Clemson House property as there are already new buildings going up very close to the old hotel.
Thanks for the memories, ye old Clemson House. "The Smartest Hotel in South Carolina" was the old slogan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Business College building may take up the space...

Jul 15, 2016, 7:42 PM

So what are they doing with Sirrine if business is moving here?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What are they going to build on that location?***

Jul 16, 2016, 7:19 AM [ in reply to What are they going to build on that location?*** ]

Clemson House 2.0

It will have a skeleton made of an amalgam of carbon fiber , concrete and chicken bones .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Hate to see a landmark go, but I understand why. My father

Jul 15, 2016, 5:58 PM

( Clemson class of 1936) was project manager for Daniel Construction Company (they built it). The slate walkway up to the house I grew up in was leftover material from the Clemson House as was the orange tile in my bathroom.

That must have been one flashy bathroom !***

Jul 15, 2016, 6:44 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hate to see a landmark go, but I understand why. My father

Jul 15, 2016, 11:58 PM [ in reply to Hate to see a landmark go, but I understand why. My father ]

Very cool!

Jul 15, 2016, 7:05 PM

Not the Clemson House! NO!!!!!!!!! One of my very first memories is mu dad (who was a student on the GI Bill) taking me to the Clemson House for ice cream. I was probably all of 3. That is like taking down Tillman. It is a landmark! No!!!!!!!!!!!

A billion dollar budget to educate 20,000 students = 50,000

Jul 15, 2016, 7:10 PM

per student. The new buildings sure are a lot different then the ones we studied in 30 years ago

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably costs more

Jul 18, 2016, 11:48 AM

to keep up the old dilapidated buildings that you studied in than to build the new ones.

One Good Thing About Johnstone....----

Jul 15, 2016, 8:45 PM

It was about 100 yds to the courtyard where the bowling alley was. Plus it was great to dash accross to the cafeteria upstairs at 10:50pm for 11'o'clock free dohnut night.

Or Chic fil A next door***

Jul 15, 2016, 9:17 PM

Jul 15, 2016, 9:56 PM

Let the Clemson House go. Things haven't been the same since they demolished the Prefabs on Williamson!??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In '81 I was a freshman in Johnstone, but would traipse

Jul 15, 2016, 10:10 PM

over to Clemson House to enjoy the cheap, but good, prime rib. Change happens.

null

Jul 16, 2016, 12:05 AM

I never understood why Clemson House was considered a landmark. I hope it's replaced with something good.

Jul 16, 2016, 12:53 AM

As written to President Clement:

Dear Mr Clement:

I really appreciate many of the progressions you have bestowed upon the great university of Clemson. From my perspective I see a lot of common sense decisions coming form the leadership at Clemson.

I hear that the Clemson House is coming down. It is personally a very sad day for me to hear that, as I lived at the Clemson House for two years - what a beautiful view for a young student to have. There is nothing like watching a Clemson sunset from the Clemson House. I do understand that business decisions have to be made to move forward with the university, as personally heart breaking as they may be (hopefully I will be able to get a piece of my old home).

In the same article I saw the language of "rebranding" the history of Clemson founders of our great University. If we really come down to it and would like to truly rebrand the University, we will have to rename the entire University, and get rid of Calhoun mansion. Of course, as many of our buildings and University have names that some may hold in their minds as disagreeable; we must understand that without the historical figures of Clemson University, there would be no Clemson University.

Let us remember the story of the old testament. King David sent his warrior Uriah to the front to be killed to take his wife Bathsheeba. That was wrong. But out of that came King Solomon. So while Governor Tillman, Vice President Calhoun, and even the confederate Thomas Green Clemson may have supported unsavory ideas, something beautiful came of their better selves. I sincerely hope that we are careful with our truthful history, both bad and good.

Go Tigers,

Philip E. Fuller

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2016, 8:00 AM

Dear Mr. Fuller,
You might get a better response if you spell President Clements' name correctly.

Best regards,
Tiger Nana

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Loved the Clemson House. Hate to hear this***

Jul 16, 2016, 2:32 PM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

oh no. used to have pleasant dining experiences there back in the day.***

Jul 16, 2016, 7:04 PM

My Dad saw Clemson House

Jul 16, 2016, 7:59 PM

Being built when he was attending CU. I was able to live there 2 years. Loved the dining hall. Many long hours on the BBall courts outside. Will miss it.

Jul 16, 2016, 9:32 PM

Stayed in Clemson House for one night with my family as a young man on our way home from Disney World. Met Frank Howard at breakfast in the dining room. Will never forget it.

Also had my haircut a hundred times there (ROTC). My Dad joined the faculty later, retire there too. When he moved away from there a few years back, we went up there for one last haircut, just for old times sake. ROTC ball(s) there. Ate there with a couple of my professors, and a couple of my Dad's professors as well. My Dad got a room there a couple times as well when my brother and I were in school, when he came up for awards banquets and such. It is, and will always be, a special place.

My hope is, they build something even better in it's place. Everyone in my family agrees - while we loved it when we were there, they keep improving on the whole place. There's something in these hills.

Jul 17, 2016, 10:59 AM

As a kid in Anderson, driving to the Clemson House for Sunday dinner was a big deal. I recall Anderson residents who had social functions there as well. As a student (1964-1971), eating in the grill on the ground floor was fairly common. Removing the Clemson House will be a huge visual change for sure.

And the tin cans! We rats knew no better, or sophomores,or most juniors. To escape the noise, I regularly studied in the library, old and then new. Yes, the gang showers were different from home, but hey, they were often just another place to socialize!! I was in E609 as a rat, then F432 as a sophomore.
That room faced west, so the sun was brutal. We used a window fan practically all year. The winter sunsets were a show. Yes, I miss seeing the tin cans, but they were used for decades, and were, in retrospect, just one of the things that endeared Clemson to many.

2-year resident on the 5th floor...

Jul 18, 2016, 9:46 AM

... I hereby pour a bottle of MD 2020 Orange Jubilee onto the plateau.

Next time, vote Jabba like you're supposed to.

So build a new, modern CHouse on top of it, in it's place!

Jul 18, 2016, 11:44 AM

That should be affordable. I lived there my sophomore year and loved it. My sister and I shared an end room, which had plenty of space and views. It was nice to have all the conveniences in one place: laundry, parking right out back (vs. the pit or where ever else far away), and a really good dining hall! Sad to see it go.

Its****

Jul 18, 2016, 11:44 AM

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic