Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CV Related Attendance Question(s) - Sorry if already asked..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,897

CV Related Attendance Question(s) - Sorry if already asked..

May 22, 2020, 9:58 AM

Hey guys - sorry in advance, if this has already been beat to death. This time of year, I'm usually wrapped up in College Baseball and fishing the lowcountry waterways, so I'm usually in hibernation from this board.. But - I did give it a look and didn't see much.. Anyway -

I've been hearing talk that other schools are mentioning limiting attendance to 1/4 capacity, or capping it at 20k total. And those are "at best" numbers - some articles I've read have mentioned playing for an empty house.

Let's say, for discussion sake, that Clemson announces that they'll limit seating to 20k seats for this season - how would you all feel about that? The woman and I were talking last night about it and her dad called at the same time, so we had a talk. Between she/I and my FIL, we split a donation in the five figure range, which allows us 8 seats and 2 parking spots. I get that it's a "donation", but it's not tax exempt and it's not so much a donation, as it's required to hold seats that my FIL has kept for 40 years. Let's say Clemson tells us that instead of 8 tix, we get 2.. A family that typically gets 4 - well now they get 1? Or - would it be that instead of tickets to 7 home games, now we get 8 tickets to 1 game? With our luck, we'd get to sweat it out in September watching Akron..

Anyway - I understand this isn't Clemson's fault and I don't want to get into the political side of all this BS.. But, I'm bored at work on a Friday and this has become the elephant in the room. I feel like decisions have already been made or are in the works - just wondering how this will be handled and how my fellow Tnetters would take being told that they're trimming 75% of the allowed tickets..?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CV Related Attendance Question(s) - Sorry if already asked..

May 22, 2020, 10:21 AM

I am on year 38 with IPTAY and football season tickets. I am a middle level donor. I want the team to get to play and am expecting to be offered tickets to one or two games. For me it is not acceptable to not be offered a ticket to any game. I do not care which game(s) I attend.

May 22, 2020, 10:29 AM

Interesting question. One of my good friends is a huge donor. Parks 3 cars by the front door and has at least 8 seats in the air conditioning. I'll have to ask him what's up with this.

May 22, 2020, 10:36 AM

I would be surprised if box seats are impacted.

I am a 40 year middle tier IPTAY donor...,.

May 22, 2020, 10:37 AM

...... I just want to tailgate!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2020, 10:45 AM

Here is kinda the collection of statments floating around the internet, but keep in mind they are subject to change:

The only offical Covid Program I have seen is Washington State which gave its donors 3 options for the 2020 football season if they were altered by Covid.
1. Ticket holders have the option to donate their 2020 football season tickets and parking payments to the school as a gift.
2. They can credit their football season tickets, parking payments and contributions to o the 2021 football season and a promise that WSU’s ticket prices for the 2021 season will be the same as those in 2020.
3. A complete refund.
That seems about as fair a system as you can ask for given the circumstances.

Multiple AD's have given their stances on which fans would be prioritized. Ohio State said they will likely just use their existing point system, but also favor the families of the athletes and coaches. Others have come out in support of the students as an open air stadium would be less dangerous than the dormitories they are placing them in. If you are a family of four in one household you would not be split up as there would be no additional danger in all of you coming vs just 2, but if its a multi family group it would be split up.

Some programs are currently looking into programs as to how to order food from your seats and planning a staggered dismissal so everyone's not leaving at the same time. The largest hurdle they are facing is actually the public bathrooms and how to keep them sanitized when dealing with that much volume.

Largely it will be dependent on what each governor determines for the state and the University will just do what they can. Clemson and FSU might have 50% attendance at games where as Syracuse might not even play.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2020, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the well written reply. I have a good friend that is a D1 baseball coach (not at Clemson) and he and I were talking the other night over beers. He said that the SEC has proposed some plan (and I forget what it was called) where they are basically all in or all out. One team cannot refuse to play - if they do, they would be held financially liable to the point it wouldn't be possible. That was for 2021 Baseball, but I can see other conferences doing the same thing in regards to football. Now, whether fans are in the stands, that's up to the schools I guess. But - per him, if the ACC is in, the Syracuse is playing. They may be playing in front of empty stands, but they'll be forced to play - and that's only fair, should they want to split the revenues, and it would also unfairly penalize other teams that had to miss a game (If Clemson were to go 11-0 with 1 forfeit, but Bama is 12-0..)

And as far as other schools, I've heard info starting to trickle out about Michigan, and also heard something from an Auburn alum I work with, that they are starting to release some details as well. Who knows how accurate they are, but from what I understand, both are talking about having 25% capacity or so..

Anyway - just curious of your thoughts. Sounds like we are all on the same page.

May 22, 2020, 11:25 AM

excellent response above.

Suspect this is still totally fluid. ADs will be financially strapped, will look for any way to make a buck while not alienating donors.

One possibility might be to keep the "donation" and refund the ticket price.

My Stadium Club donation at LSU is much bigger than ticket price but I am committed, can't let them get away for future seasons and the AD knows that.

OBTW your AD Dan Rad was at LSU, everybody here in BR thinks he is tops.

May 22, 2020, 12:46 PM

The responses thus far shed light on several proposals and also indicate there are no easy answers. Not everyone is going to be happy with the final answers. Minute details re restrooms, food, etc , cloud the issue even further. Will they check our temperatures before allowing us to enter the gates? There are so many factors involved it's going to be a real challenge for those seeking solutions.

I have a personal interest that most of you do not have. I will celebrate No. 99 during the 2020 season. If Clemson has an option to delay my ticket request until next year, I may not even be around or my physical condition could prevent me from attending the games. Being selfish, I want to see the Tigers playing this season, but I'll accept the decisions of those charged with that responsibility.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2020, 1:07 PM

Very nice Joe! And #99? And contributing to forums online - incredible! I would love to know your secret to the fountain of youth!

May 23, 2020, 10:23 AM

I would not be surprised if not all students were allowed to attend. They are already there.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,897
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic