Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CU's Weakness Exposed?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

CU's Weakness Exposed?

Oct 18, 2015, 7:40 PM

We were awesome against the GT run game, which usually does not happen. But BC ran effectively against us and almost all of the runs were from the I formation. Lots of big holes.

I am concerned about FSU exploiting this. That's their bread and butter and we appeared not that great at defending it.

Caveat: I could not see game live on TV, so watched it late Sat night and used lot of FF, so maybe it was not as bad as it looked.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CU's Weakness Exposed?

Oct 18, 2015, 7:42 PM

I think last night was just an off night to some degree for the defense. DEs didn't play well I thought.

how about we just beat Miami for

Oct 18, 2015, 8:02 PM

Now!

Re: how about we just beat Miami for

Oct 18, 2015, 8:03 PM

Amen

Oct 18, 2015, 7:42 PM

Run defense is not a weakness of ours.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 18, 2015, 7:45 PM

replace the BC RB with Cook from FSU and we might all be wondering where our run defense went...

Oct 19, 2015, 6:41 AM

Replace Fsu's oline with BC's and you may have a point.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stop...you're ruining his Monday morning 'look at me' moment***

Oct 19, 2015, 9:39 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Haha.

Oct 19, 2015, 9:42 AM

After going back and watching the game on TV the one thing that did seem to work was the delayed handoff. It wasn't a draw, but just slower developing. It gave us just enough time to over run the play. It's a good lesson for our DLine to keep contain, but still not worried about anything there!!

Oct 18, 2015, 7:45 PM

"...so watched it late Sat night and used lot of FF..."

I've noticed that the RB's look a lot faster when I use FF. Maybe that's what you were seeing.

JK - but our run D is awesome. If we can stop Cook (or slow him down), then we will beat FSU. Our D is better than UL's.

He he. Got me on that one!

Oct 18, 2015, 7:47 PM

I also thought Gallman looked faster than usual... :)

Oct 18, 2015, 7:47 PM

We probably weren't selling out on the run defense on BC like we were with GT because with GT, we knew that they'd have to beat us on the ground and if we stop that, we win the game. We also had some busted coverage that might be somewhat attributable to that.

With BC, just a different type of defensive strategy. I wouldn't worry too much about it. BV will come up with a defensive game plan that's specific to what FSU has cookin, I guarantee. Our D is super strong- I don't think we will get beat because of one weakness getting exploited.

we had 2nd and 3rd string players in to get experience

Oct 18, 2015, 7:53 PM

not to pad our statistics like most teams do. Also, BC's points came off of turnovers that put the defense in bad situations. I was impressed with the progress that our backups are making

They just got a few first downs, and BC's blocking scheme is

Oct 18, 2015, 8:01 PM

different from FSU's.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I honestly don't think we were "up" for the BC game...

Oct 18, 2015, 8:04 PM

It was one of those games where you have nothing to gain but everything to lose. I'd imagine it's hard to play with an edge under those circumstances. When we needed to clamp down though, we did. As long as we stay healthy, I'm not worried about this team one bit.

Re: I honestly don't think we were "up" for the BC game...

Oct 18, 2015, 8:18 PM

and I agree that we looked flat during the first half last night

Oct 18, 2015, 8:09 PM

Our run defense is the one thing I'm not worried about. If you look at BC schematically these guys play over balanced lines (usually two TE sets) and have historically had huge, beastly offensive linemen. Most of the night on first and second down they would have 7 down linemen with one wide-out. They looked to be doing a down hill slant zone blocking scheme with their running back just running through whatever hole he could find. Most of the night we plugged those holes rather well. They only got 159 yards rushing on us with about 65+ of those yards coming against our backups in BC's late 4th quarter garbage time touchdown drive.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

fsu ran for 24 yards last year

Oct 18, 2015, 8:12 PM

Please stop

Re: fsu ran for 24 yards last year

Oct 19, 2015, 12:30 PM

and most of that was in the overtime.

Feel like the weakness has been LB pass coverage

Oct 18, 2015, 8:32 PM

Everything else has been pretty solid for the most part all year

Re: Feel like the weakness has been LB pass coverage

Oct 18, 2015, 8:53 PM

Yup, this is what's going to have Jimbo licking his chops...I'll guarantee you he's already taken a peek and realize that our run stuffing LBs are not great at covering backs in the passing game. Look for him to get the ball to Cook in the flats and behind the LBs in the middle.

Oct 18, 2015, 9:03 PM

Wonder if we could just put Kearse on Cook from a linebacker position? We have other safeties.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 18, 2015, 9:23 PM

Some people call that a dime package, me thinks.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. Korrin Wiggins is missed here...***

Oct 19, 2015, 9:25 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

O'Daniel can make it happen....***

Oct 19, 2015, 9:40 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 18, 2015, 9:16 PM

I think our weakness is covering the back out of the backfield

I was at the game and therefore didn't see this live

Oct 18, 2015, 9:34 PM

But their offensive linemen were full on tackling our defensive linemen. A lot of no calls there.

More than one clip too.

Oct 19, 2015, 6:44 AM

I wondered how many of our guys would have torn knees.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Every week opponents finds some problem somewhere with...

Oct 19, 2015, 6:47 AM

our team on both sides of the ball. Those problems never exist the following week and as we get better and better in those areas.

If you saw it I guarantee Dabo and our DC saw it. If you saw it you won't see it again and again. Maybe once but not consistently.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 19, 2015, 9:32 AM

Most of their yards came in the 4th quarter when the 2nd and 3rd team DTs and DEs were in. They were under 200 yards total offense halfway through the 4th quarter.

If you're saying our third string needed work vs. their 1st

Oct 19, 2015, 9:36 AM

...I'll agree.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reader will at the least be back by FSU... Will surely help.***

Oct 19, 2015, 9:38 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic