Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Spring Practice: Offensive Line Still Has Work To Do
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Apr 4, 2008, 11:23 PM

Unit's slow progress has kept Clemson from working on downfield passing game; Bowden hopes McClain can have an impact in the fall. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does this bother anyone else?

Apr 5, 2008, 8:11 AM

Or am I being too critical? We're having trouble as an Offensive unit, but we keep talking about the left tackle position. Is that the only line position that's causing the instability? I'm also getting concerned that we're announcing to the world that we'll be one deminisional ("can't throw downfield.") We saw what happened to our running game when we had problems the last two years.

I know it's early, but does anyone else see my concern?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

There are absolutely no excuses not to win 10 or more games

Apr 5, 2008, 8:23 AM

this year...He is already hedging..unreal.

I don't think he's "hedging". We knew that would be an area

Apr 5, 2008, 8:44 AM

of concern for this team.

2009_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did I miss something? Is it August already?

Apr 5, 2008, 9:18 AM

Has any coach of any team in any year been content during spring practice?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What's that have to do with OL concerns?

Apr 5, 2008, 9:23 AM

I, for one, don't think they're going away between now and August.

2009_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm already planning to be concerned all year!***

Apr 5, 2008, 11:22 AM

That's idiotic.***

Apr 5, 2008, 10:56 AM [ in reply to There are absolutely no excuses not to win 10 or more games ]

How about in 10 years? Is that idiotic?***

Apr 5, 2008, 4:10 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Re: Does this bother anyone else?

Apr 5, 2008, 10:17 AM [ in reply to Does this bother anyone else? ]

If last weekend's abbreviated scrimmage is any indication istability was coming from several OL positions ie.multiple sacks/pressures from different defensive linemen.

The concern is real for the OL but this eases it a bit for me...

-Clemson's DL is well above average (Sapp is a lot quicker than most DE Clemson will face)
-the OL should improve quite a bit by late August and the incoming Fr will at least provide some good depth, if not more
-it's possible there's a little exageration about the problems
-Alabama is well aware of Clemson's youth movement on OL and would be likely to test protection regardless of what Clemson's coaches say
-Spiller's supposedly vastly improved his blocking/protection and Clemson's best blocker,Chad Diehl will be playing not to mention the other TEs who will probably be better blockers

Well, the left tackle position is the most important spot on

Apr 5, 2008, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Does this bother anyone else? ]

the line, for a right handed QB anyway.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does this bother anyone else?

Apr 5, 2008, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Does this bother anyone else? ]

You better believe i am concerned... and yeah theres no reason why the Tiger Football program does not win atleast 10 games... I just hope that its not like any other season where we have a great D and great O just a bad O line or ST whatever the case may be.... we just seem to have one thing the last few years with our program that kills us in big games because the good teams and better coaches we face take advantage of our weakness... If we can be sound across the board and I hope we can I really think our Tigers will go far this season GO TIGERZZZZ

I'm curious..........

Apr 5, 2008, 11:16 AM

about a coupla things:

1) I agree 10 wins is the minimum goal, but why do you say there's no reason we shouldn't win 10 games?

2) You said, "we just seem to have one thing the last few years with our program that kills us in big games because the good teams and better coaches we face take advantage of our weakness"

I think we know what our key issue was in 2006, but what would you say was the one thing last year? How did "better coaches" beat us in 2006 and 2007?

The bubble screen might just work!!...oh wait...***

Apr 5, 2008, 10:20 AM

The screen will continue to be a big part of the offense,

Apr 5, 2008, 10:59 AM

because it has been a successful part of the offense.

Re: The screen will continue to be a big part of the offense,

Apr 5, 2008, 1:38 PM

Sure, when it doesn't result in loss yardage, a turnover or getting Jacoby Ford nearly killed its a great play.

Not smart.........

Apr 6, 2008, 1:11 PM

The screen is most definitely a positive yardage play for us. It very rarely loses yardage and has even resulted in long plays and TD's for us. There is not a single play known to mankind that works every single time, including lost yardage, turnovers, and players getting nailed. Incidentally, the play where Jacoby got nailed was not a called screen. It was a check down by Harper. In any case, trying to claim screens are bad based on a play or two is not thinking very smart considering it's a play that most often results in 5 or more yards, and sometimes TD's. I think the term we're looking for is 'sample size', i.e., you gotta look at the whole picture.

CTB era= OL problems. What's new? ****

Apr 5, 2008, 10:47 AM

Re: CTB era= OL problems. What's new? ****

Apr 5, 2008, 12:53 PM

I, for the life of me, do not understand the venomous hatred for Tommy Bowden. It?s really annoying? anyway?

The o-line was looking surprisingly good in goal line drills earlier on; then the d-line gets ripped a new one and starts tearing off sacks, pressures and tackles for losses

Relax guys? it?s just the swing of the pendulum. If our o-line was looking great, we?d be screaming about our d-line. Quite frankly, I?d like to take this as an indication that our d-line just might make everyone?s o-line look bad, ours obviously not withstanding

As far as what CTB says to the press? the guy gets hounded for any little nugget of info to feed us hungry fans? so he gave us something to chew on? and more importantly, a benchmark from which to measure improvement? not a plant from which to harvest excuses for a sub 10 win season?

This Tiger fan is 100% behind our coach, our team. GO TIGERS!!!

Venemous hatred or difference of opinion?

Apr 7, 2008, 11:43 AM

I didn't read anything on this thread that indicates "venemous hatred" for Bowden. I did read some critical opinions of Bowden. Bowden hasn't even sniffed an ACC title since arriving a decade ago. At Clemson Bowden is 4-22 against teams that finished in the AP Top 20. You may like Bowden for any number of good reasons, but surely you're open-minded enough to understand why others might offer critical opinions.

Personally, I think it's too early to read much into the O-line. We all knew that O-line and linebacker corps were going to be areas of rebuilding. The fact that Spiller reportedly ran all over the defense indicates that the O-line probably isn't that bad-- at least on one side.

You forgot special teams.***

Apr 5, 2008, 4:10 PM [ in reply to CTB era= OL problems. What's new? **** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Amazing how we are still the 22nd best program in America***

Apr 6, 2008, 1:06 PM

Apr 5, 2008, 10:41 PM [ in reply to CTB era= OL problems. What's new? **** ]

2005 didn't have many OL problems, and they sure as heck weren't "leftovers" from the West era...

Of course you think you could do a better job than Bowden, but there is a reason that he is out there leading the team and you are on an online message board complaining about it

^^ Probably cause his last name's not Bowden...

Apr 6, 2008, 6:10 PM

Undefeated at Tulane was exceptional and very attractive, this many years of "we should have... if it weren't for..." is very unexceptional and the 100% Tiger fans who ridicule someone who's sick of the same types of problems is self righteous arrogance.

However, it's not Tommy that's to blame for the OL. Isn't that why he appoints coordinators? The CEO takes the rap for what the VPs get from the managers for what they get from the employees. College football works exactly like the rest of the world. Find people who can teach and motivate others to be brilliant at the basics.

If we must point a finger, lets look at the 'VP' and 'Manager' of the OL: Brad Scott. 3 point vs. 2 point. Switching DL to OL, a relatively new offense brought in from Spence that Scott has to learn to be able to teach. Seems to me that he's not adapting to be able to get the kids to impliment. VK doesn't have to worry about how to teach the DL what to do because defensive schemes are reactionary. BS (lol, never reallized that) needs to proactively get his OL to work in time with a different scheme from when he ran things with the Chickens.

Might wanna find an OL VP who can handle what Spence wants to run. At least point the finger at the right person if you want to have something constructive to say...

Apr 6, 2008, 8:36 PM [ in reply to Re: CTB era= OL problems. What's new? **** ]

I don't know which West you are referring to (Tommy or Ron) but Ron West did a great job with the offensive line while he was there with what he had to work with. They might have been small but always played tough. His last year was 2003 Peach Bowl win over Tennessee and 63-17 over South Carolina.

Apr 7, 2008, 4:43 PM

I was referring to the "Tommy West" era...

my main point was to criticize the previous poster who seems to think that blaming Bowden for O-line issues is going to solve everything.

by the way, "having something constructive to say" is, by general observation, NOT a normal occurance on the tigernet.

I have no criticism for the team. Of course I had my complaints last year, but I do not in any way blame Bowden for certain shortcomings. He is doing a better job than I could.
"Missed opportunity" is what it all comes down to, and ***hopefully*** we won't be barking up that same tree in '08.

So if the offensive line is our weakness this year, and our

Apr 7, 2008, 5:13 PM

offense struggles as a result, let's not be so quick to blame Spence. As I type this, however, I know that he will be the first one to be thrown under the bus. Sigh...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic