Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
COACH LEGGETT
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

COACH LEGGETT

Jun 5, 2015, 10:17 AM

YEP, I CAN TELL ALL HIS PLAYERS REALLY HATED HIM AND COULD NOT WAIT TO GET OUT. SOME OF YOU NEED A REAL REALITY CHECK.

Radakovich’s decision angers current, former, future Tigers
BASEBALL | 04. JUN, 2015 BY ROBERT MACRAE | 0 COMMENTS

Radakovich’s decision angers current, former, future Tigers
Clemson athletic director Dan Radakovich sent shock waves around college baseball nation, especially at Clemson when he decided Thursday to fire Hall of Fame coach Jack Leggett. Players rushed to social media to give their reaction to the decision.

The Clemson Insider.com also reached out to current, former and future players for their reactions as well.

TCI caught up with ACC Pitcher of the Year Matthew Crownover to get his thoughts on Leggett’s departure.

“I know he is the AD and has to make his decision, but I don’t see how you can fire Coach Leggett after all the success he has had here. I know we weren’t as successful as we wanted while I was here, but that had nothing to do with Coach Leggett.”

Crownover went on to say, “No baseball mind in the country would have fired Coach Leggett. He is a great man”.

TCI also caught up with former Clemson great Kyle Parker.

“It is tough for me to understand. I feel like the University and fan base as well as a lot of players owe Jack so much more for the time he had invested and what he built and established there. He deserves a lot of credit for where the program is right now,” Parker told TCI. “Coach Leggett was a pivotal person in my career. He had a big influence on me. I was young and didn’t know a lot when I arrived. He brought me in and helped me mature and turned me into a pretty good player.

“For him to be fired is hard for me to understand. I can understand the unhappiness. The team had high expectations. With that said I feel like Jack was owed something from us and some kind of respect.”

Parker arrived on campus early and played his first season at Clemson in what should have been his final semester of high school.

“Coach Leggett was a pivotal person in my career. He had a big influence on me. I was young and didn’t know a lot when I arrived. He brought me in and helped me mature and turned me into a pretty good player,” said Parker.

Parker’s dad, Carl, sent this message to Leggett which he shared with TCI: “Coach. Just read the news and wanted you to know how much I appreciated you! As a parent I couldn’t have asked for a better man or coach for my son to play for. As a coach, I don’t know that I have ever been around a coach that understands the process of building a successful program more than you.”

TCI also caught up with Clemson 2015 signee Jake Higginbotham who is expected to get drafted in the upcoming Major League Baseball draft. Higginbotham could be a weekend starter for the Tigers next season if he enrolls this summer instead of heading to play professional baseball.

“I’m disappointed for sure. Coach Leggett is a great coach, one of the best to ever do it, and more than that, a great person. I loved his energy and passion. I’m bummed that everything transpired this way. I think the world of Coach Leggett and I hope that every thing turns out okay for him,” said Higginbotham.

Will the firing of Leggett impact his decision on whether to enroll at Clemson or play professional baseball?

“No, it won’t impact my decision,” replied Higginbotham.

Social Media Reaction

The following former Clemson athletes spoke out with their support of coach Leggett on social media.

Matthew Crownover

Today Clemson let an icon go. We lost our Joe Torre. We lost the face of Clemson baseball. #7 is Clemson baseball

#7 is the reason I came to Clemson. He will always be my coach. He deserved better.

Dom Leone

Jack Leggett is Clemson Baseball. He will always be Clemson Baseball. Nobody has bled more, fought more, or dedicated more time to that. Program than he has. It’s sad that this day had to come. Of course today’s focus is all about winning. Nobody wanted to win more than 7. He Was and will continue to be a fierce competitor, yet is also an incredible teacher. A mentor for young men both on and off the field. I’ve.. Reached the highest stage of baseball and that is in part to Leggett and his staff’s guidance and teaching. I am grateful of the opportunity He gave to me as a young kid from CT trying to follow my dream and play big time baseball. Best wishes to 7 and his staff.

Matt Campbell

I sat in a room with D-Rad last year and backed the coaches not only as coaches, but the mentor role they take on for us, myself included…

and I stand by my decision. You fans calling for #7s head all year, you never played for him.You don’t know the impact he has.

I went to Clemson to play for Jack and Pep for a reason. 1 missed postseason in 22 years. That’s all I gotta say.

CJ Spiller

Just landed and one of alerts come to my phone that Clemson is not bringing coach Leggett back SMH.

Thanks coach for all you done for our university and making our program one of best in the country, your presence will def be missed

Jason Stolz

It seems impossible to picture Clemson Baseball without Coach Leggett at the forefront, sad day for

Pat Krall

Clemson baseball won’t be the same without you #7. It was a privilege to play for you and thank you for bringing me into the Clemson Family.

Weston Wilson

Thankful for the opportunity you gave me to play baseball for Clemson University. #7

Will Lamb

Words cant explain how much he did for me, but every year he turned 32 boys into men who wanted OMAHA! HOF in my book, coach! Thank you, sev

Jay Cox

Clemson lost a great man and leader today. I’m forever indebted and grateful to Coach Leggett for letting me play for the Tigers. Thanks Sev

Drew Wharton

Thanks for everything Coach Leggett. You’re the definition of first class and you impacted my life in many ways. I will miss you 7!

Daniel Gossett

#7 and Coach Pepicelli are not only two of the best coaches I’ve been around, but two of the best people. Proud I can call you my friends!

Rudy Cox

He’s in the Hall of Fame. Can’t ever take that from you Coach. Thanks for everything along the way 7. You will forever be a Clemson Tiger.

David Haselden

Hate to hear the news about Coach Leggett today… He deserved better for all he did for the program… Thank you, #7

Willy Korn

Some of my favorite moments at Clemson were getting to talk to Coach Leggett around Jervey – thanks for all the great memories coach!

Mike Freeman

It’s hard to imagine Clemson baseball without Jack Leggett at the helm. No one believed in Clemson or understood the program better than him. He knows how to develop athletes into ball players and boys into men. It won’t be the same going back to the house that Jack built without the architect running the show. I know his presence will be felt and his legacy glorified.

Andy Monin

I played for 38 & 7. Wish Clemson fans realized that legends are rare. Leggett is a legend! Its unreal.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: COACH LEGGETT

Jun 5, 2015, 10:21 AM

And there are even more comments than that listed online including Tiger Hall of Famer who simply stated he was very angry.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2015, 10:24 AM

with all that said i do believe it was jacks loyalty that did him in. even the best jack supporter knew some changes were needed and had to be made but obviously he did not want to do that. sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

a tci article? gimme a minute...

Jun 5, 2015, 10:28 AM

grabbing the trail mix.

[deroberts, don't you believe most of the people that attacked coach leggett's character never really met the man, they were simply repeating something they'd read or heard?]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: a tci article? gimme a minute...

Jun 5, 2015, 10:30 AM

no doubt about it. but like i said, changes needed to be made and he balked.

well, he didn't get caught looking at a third strike, but

Jun 5, 2015, 10:33 AM

things did need to improve.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2015, 10:47 AM

Lot of players they have not talked to! Time for him to go. He could have bowed out gracefully but he choose not to. Last year AD Rad told him what needed to be done. The program lost a lot of money this year...he did not deliver...losing some good players this year and recruiting does not look good for next year. Time to start a new program and get a new coach in now. I love Tiger baseball but the last four years have been so in consistent that it was painful to watch. Clemson University is bigger than any coach. Our program was very well respected and exciting to watch when Jack came on board. From the time Corbin and Sully left it started the downward spiral I wish Jack the best. But instead of stepping down gracefully and thanking Clemson for the opportunity he was given .....he gave the AD no choice. We were fine before he came and we will be fine in the years to come.

Jun 5, 2015, 10:52 AM

believe you'd better check that recruiting class thing. we've got a very good year on paper. everyone knows that the MLB draft can change your class tremendously. but with kids like randolph, miller, beer, higgnbothem (sp?), etc... there are some highly rated kids in this class. just got to hold on to them.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Draft

Jun 5, 2015, 10:58 AM

More than likely the high ranking will fall dramatically (Top 50 maybe) once at least two and likely three players never set foot on campus. It is easy to sign a class you will never get.

Jun 5, 2015, 11:07 AM [ in reply to Re: COACH LEGGETT ]

Watch for at least three to go pro

Jun 5, 2015, 11:12 AM

Could be four now. One of those prospects is the son of Todd Raleigh, who is also very loyal to Jack. Wouldn't surprise me if his kid also told Clemson to F off.

> Watch for at least three to go pro

Jun 5, 2015, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Re: COACH LEGGETT ]

do you think CU is the ONLY school in the country that will lose recruits to the draft/ its the age old question.. do you sign those kids who are likely to be drafted and figure you might get 1-2 of them in school.. or pass on them (and they wind up at another school and beat you) and take a next level kid? we all know its a crap shoot. prob not a school in the country who would not have singed kids like beer (who is not draft eligible), randolph, miller, higgenbothem and taken their chances with them.but you make contingency plans that all , maybe none of those kids actually come to school..

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very true.....but

Jun 5, 2015, 12:36 PM

Don't give a coordinator props for bringing in a Top 10 signing class that is almost guaranteed to be closer to #50 come time to go to school!

Jun 5, 2015, 3:13 PM [ in reply to Re: COACH LEGGETT ]

Could the lack of replacing quality assistant coaches not be directly linked to salaries. We have lost many good assistants, may some of them had stayed if we had put some better salaries in place for them. Baseball has ever made money, but it has brought attention and quality students to the University

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Jun 5, 2015, 11:09 AM

Jack was a good man no doubt about that and it would be terrible after 24 yrs if he didn't have lots of support from former players.
I'm sure if the truth be known more former players really don't care either way.
Also a hand full of coaches out there ,that have no interest in coming to Clemson are going to say things.
It will not be hard to find a good coach very willing and eager to get Clemson Baseball back to where it needs to be.

You could substitute names and have this be the Bobby

Jun 5, 2015, 2:01 PM

Bowden story. The firing in no way impunes the man's integrity, or what he has done for Clemson. The simple fact is, that for any variety of reasons, he was not willing or able to adapt to changing times and continue the success that he previously had. That, and that alone is what led to his dismissal. If you can read between the lines at all, even at the eleventh hour it sounds like he would have been given one more year if he had been willing to make staff changes which the Athletic Director saw as necessary. He chose not to do so, and the result from that point, when you tell your boss you are not going to follow his recommendations, should neither have been unexpected or unwarranted.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2015, 2:06 PM

Of course they loved him. Irrelevant. He needed to go. Way overdue.
It was the right call.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic