Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Our RB's are looking the part
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Our RB's are looking the part

Mar 20, 2015, 3:11 PM

We've had a fleet of nice-looking WR's for awhile now, but it's interesting to see how the RB position has finally emerged at Clemson as well.

We've got quite a group of guys who pass the eye test now. That definitely was not the case the last two years...and honestly, Morris never really had the style of back he preferred for his offense. What his offense is called, conceptually, is the "smashmouth spread"...it's really a pretty simple concept; you spread the ball around to field-stretchers on the perimeter, and when you chase the defense out of the box, you beat them to death with the inside zone. You need big, physical, one-cut backs who can also catch the ball out of the backfield to run this offense the way it was conceived.

Last year Gallman was the best - or at least the healthiest - of the bunch, and he was running at about 190 pounds. He was also a converted Wing T running back in high school and you could definitely see his Wing T instincts, particularly in the way he kept bouncing it east-west and trying to run laterally along the line - and often getting cut down for no gain, because his blocking was just not set up that way - but when he started reading his blocks and cutting north-south behind his pads he was much, much more effective down the stretch. Some RB's are like James Davis or Spiller, who come in game-ready from Minute 1; with Gallman I got the sense he was very much a project we haven't seen the ceiling of yet. Gallman looks like he's about 210+ now...and that's huge for us. It's likewise huge we have a healthy Tyshon Dye - who is your classic one-cut big back, and a guy who would not look out of place at Alabama, as well as a healthy Zac Brooks. Brooks, to me, is another guy who always flashed talent; I liked his speed and I loved his catching ability, I did not like his leg drive through the hole and like Gallman I thought he needed to bulk up. It looks like he has.

It's a nice-looking stable of backs, and there's plenty of talent there. No game-breakers (Feaster will change that instantly), but definitely the sort of guys you can line up and beat people down with, and they're guys who fit the system exceptionally well. Could be the most-effective group of backs in quite awhile, IMHO.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Our RB's are looking the part

Mar 20, 2015, 3:23 PM

I'd love to hear your opinion on Feaster and how he will fit into the depth chart. You think he will be too good to keep off the field, or do you think they will let the veteran RBs carry the load and let Feaster red-shirt? I've heard a lot of varing opinions.

Mar 21, 2015, 12:16 AM

> I'd love to hear your opinion on Feaster and how he
> will fit into the depth chart. You think he will be
> too good to keep off the field, or do you think they
> will let the veteran RBs carry the load and let
> Feaster red-shirt? I've heard a lot of varing
> opinions.

Feaster is the best RB Clemson will have signed since CJ Spiller. Honestly I think he may be a better pure RB than Spiller. He's within a hairsbreadth as fast, and while he doesn't have quite CJ's insane open-field moves he's close...dunno if he'll be the punt or kick returner that CJ was - you may remember nobody would kick to CJ, which got Clemson huge edges in "hidden" yardage since we started every possession no worse than our own 35 - but again, as a pure running back...Feaster is, IMHO, a little better. He's more north-south oriented, is a little bigger and more powerful, reads his blocks better and has more leg drive.

I think Feaster is our #1 from early on regardless of who's in front of him. He's that good. You just do not see talents like this come along very often. Gallman and whoever else wins the #2 (or #1) job this Spring and Fall will probably continue to see time because Clemson's a rotating team and Dabo's a fair-minded coach who doesn't forget his vets, but Feaster is the kind of guy you just plain ride.

'Course, all that's predicated on Feaster staying healthy. It's still close to 18 months before Clemson actually gets him on campus...a whole lot can happen.

Mar 21, 2015, 11:26 AM

I don't think Feaster is a day one starter but I do think that he at least splits the load with the other top back. Kid is a beast barring any Sr year or fall camp injuries.

I'm kinda thinking along the same lines...I'm pretty sure

Mar 21, 2015, 12:17 PM

he'll avoid a RS, but I don't think he'll start unless he's over our other guys in terms of knowing plays and knowing how to block. If you take a lot of our RBs and put them back in high school, they may have earned their 5 star by now. Gallman has put on some substantial weight, and Dye looks incredibly fast in the chute drill. You can't really think of the backs we have now as those same ol' 4 stars. These guys have had years in the system to learn and bulk up. I highly doubt they take an immediate back seat to an incoming freshman. Maybe later in the year he may start, but even then...not all five stars are battle ready. They exude talent, but still need some slight polishing. Look no further than the 5 star Bellamy....

Re: I'm kinda thinking along the same lines...I'm pretty sure

Mar 21, 2015, 3:36 PM

> he'll avoid a RS, but I don't think he'll start
> unless he's over our other guys in terms of knowing
> plays and knowing how to block. If you take a lot of
> our RBs and put them back in high school, they may
> have earned their 5 star by now. Gallman has put on
> some substantial weight, and Dye looks incredibly
> fast in the chute drill. You can't really think of
> the backs we have now as those same ol' 4 stars.
> These guys have had years in the system to learn and
> d bulk up. I highly doubt they take an immediate
> back seat to an incoming freshman. Maybe later in
> the year he may start, but even then...not all five
> stars are battle ready. They exude talent, but still
> need some slight polishing. Look no further than the
> 5 star Bellamy....

One thing a lot of folks don't make enough of is what the rating system is supposed to mean. A 4-star player is supposed to have NFL potential...unless services water it down, there are supposed to be right about as many 4-stars as there are NFL draft picks.

A 5-star - and there are about 30 every year - is supposed to be a first-round draft pick.

Thus far, according to that scale, none of our 4-stars have played like 4-stars. Yet. Dye and Choice were mid-tier 4-stars, Brooks was a low-end 4. Mostly owing to injury, none of them have performed to their alleged potential...again, yet.

Gallman's looked the best...and he wasn't a 4. He was a 3-star coming out of high school. He didn't have the kind of performance last year that would get him drafted but if he builds on what he did show - which was plenty of speed and insane determination - and continues to put on weight...yeah, he could have a 4-star, future-draft-pick type of career.

None of them are game-breakers, though, in that 5-star category. Feaster is, though. Why on Earth some services all calling him a high-end 4-star I have no idea. I've seen plenty of 5-star backs before; he is one. Feaster is better than Marcus Lattimore was, and Lattimore was legit.

It's hard to judge Dye and Choice because neither has been fully healthy for anything like a full season, though both ran well enough last year when they were healthy and actually got a heavy workload that it made you think those 4-star rankings they were carrying were probably appropriate. Thus far Brooks really hasn't convinced, though. Thus far he's has looked like what he was - sort of a tweener, a WR trying to convert to RB, and he's caught the ball well out of the backfield - he made a beautiful long TD catch against UGA in the opener in 2013 - but his leg drive and acceleration through the hole has not looked all that impressive. He hit the hole...and just sorta...stuck. We'll see if he's built up his lower body because that was really his problem, IMHO.

Just saying, we've got a really nice-looking stable with our current crew healthy, probably one of the top 10-15 RB stables in the country, certainly in the Top 20. That definitely wasn't the case once Davis/Spiller/Ellington finally moved along. With Feaster...it starts looking like what Alabama or Oregon have, IMHO, or what we had when those three were in Tigertown.

Not a consensus four star, but a four star according to ESPN

Mar 21, 2015, 11:53 PM

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/134664/wayne-gallman

But yes, I agree with your analysis ;)

Well said quozzel! Oh yes, Feaster IS that good.

Mar 22, 2015, 10:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Our RB's are looking the part ]

I also agree 100% with your assessment of our 2015 RBs. While we don't really have the "Spiller type" game breaker at RB for 2015, if we can get just 1/2 a push from the OL, its going to be a LONG day for every defense we face. Gallman is just gonna get better and better, and Dye is a "punch you in the teeth" type back. IMO, Brooks is that receiver out of the backfield. I also like Fuller and can't wait to see how he does. But like you said, when Tavien gets on campus, there are gonna be a lot of teams VERY familiar with be back of that kid's jersey. 'Cause that's all their gonna see.

*They're***

Mar 22, 2015, 10:03 PM

Mar 20, 2015, 3:23 PM

Choice was another one before he got injured. He seemed like he was an arm tackle away from breaking a few big ones last season. He was not as fast as I though he would be, but he, like gallman, seemed to get that first 7 yards in a hurry once a hole opened up. He also catches as well as the others. He should be fun to watch as well.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Choice came in beefy, but has he bulked a little?

Mar 21, 2015, 2:18 PM

I saw social media noise earlier in training that he might be over 220 now. True? If so, he could be the top back come 2016 if not this season.

That wouldn't keep Feaster from getting some field time in his freshman season, though.

Mar 21, 2015, 11:45 AM

Right now I see a bunch of good backs no one wows me. I miss having a stud rb, haven't had one since Ellington and he was hurt alot.

Mar 21, 2015, 10:33 AM

Gallman and Choice will play on Sundays if they stay healthy. We've yet to see what Dye aND Brooks really bring to the table.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2015, 10:23 PM

The spread has always had the run game at its heart. The spread is supposed to put the back in a position where he only has one man to beat. The run is the basis for both the "spread" and the "run and shoot."

CJ Fuller? 2nd string at best, or just too deep at RB now?***

Mar 22, 2015, 11:11 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CJ Fuller? 2nd string at best, or just too deep at RB now?***

Mar 23, 2015, 1:18 AM

I think CJ Fuller is going to surprise a lot of people. He's got good cuts, a low center of gravity and is built like a tank. He's going to run over a lot of people. I think Fuller is going to run like a ball of butcher knives.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CJ Fuller? 2nd string at best, or just too deep at RB now?***

Mar 23, 2015, 6:06 PM [ in reply to CJ Fuller? 2nd string at best, or just too deep at RB now?*** ]

Idk, but based SOLELY on film (which is relative, I know) I'd still say that C.J. Fuller is the best PURE running back we've got on our roster. I have zero knowledge of his understanding of the offense, or his blocking ability, but man that boy has vision, speed and some shiftiness to go along with that bowling ball of a thumper's body...I really wanted he and Jae'lon to split time...I'm actually much higher on Fuller than I am on choice, dye, or brooks...but hey, they're ALL TIGERS, so I love them all!

GO TIGERS!

I have to disagree on a few points.

Mar 23, 2015, 1:34 AM

Our running backs aren't making anyone shutter. Gallman put up great effort last season, but he needs to improve his hands, blocking, and reads.

Tyshon Dye has been injured, and his time is to shine is now. Choice is the same as Dye. Davidson can't hold onto the ball. And Zac Brooks was so awesome he could never unseat a 4.6/40 running Rod McDowell.

I knew missing out on Gurley three years ago would be huge.

As for Morris "never having his guy", that's a load a of junk. He had some guy named Andre Ellington, and a number of years to recruit. Truth is, no good running back wanted to run behind that average OL.

You'll forgive me if I disagree that the RB position has "emerged." When they start to own the fourth quarter, that's emerging. Your post is mainly about potential.

Re: I have to disagree on a few points.

Mar 23, 2015, 6:01 AM

Wayne had 0 fumbles on 161 rushes last year. Only 1 other RB in college football (forgot who, don't care to look it up) carried the ball that many times without fumbling, so I think his hands are pretty good.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In terms of receiving the football buddy. (Showed me good!)***

Mar 23, 2015, 5:37 PM

Thanks for your analysis and efforts. Whether one agrees or

Mar 23, 2015, 5:28 AM

not, posts like yours make contributions to the site worthwhile. +1

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thanks for the analysis - always good to see what others

Mar 23, 2015, 6:51 PM

are thinking - especially when they're thinking with their brains instead of their ego as most do on here.

Always thought it was an interesting point that Morris wanted a bit of a combo bruiser/slasher at RB. Certainly I understand the concept of wearing out the DL by running them to the boundary and then wearing them down by hitting them hard up the A-gap. Yet still, we've never really had that OL that could beat the DL by pushing them back or overwhelming them.

Rather we've had the type of OL that created holes by simply turning the DL one way or the other, often allowing some penetration by the DL first in order to get them to commit to one side or the other. It would seem to me then - and certainly I think the tape speaks to this - that the Ellington's and McDowell's were really the perfect RB-types for that type of Line play. They weren't Morris' perfect back - but the OL's he had weren't his type of lines either (he made this abundantly clear and often).

Some idiot on here was running down McDowell because he was a 4.6 40 guy - whatever. His top end speed may not have been elite, but he was certifiable quick as a cat for the first 10 yards with running vision as good as Ellington (something it appears both Gallman and even Spiller were less proficient at). Thus Hot-Rod hit for over 1000 yards in his one season yet while running behind an at best average line. Most of that seemed to be quick to the hole and through bursts that went for 8-10. It seemed he and Ellington hardly ever missed a hole, and both had great timing to get to and through it.

All that being said, I'm sure Morris would have loved JD - he had the size, heart, vision, and above-average 20 yard speed. To me, Dye seems most cut from that cloth, and because of it IMHO, the most likely to come to the fore as the season nears.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic