Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CFP hypothetical question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

CFP hypothetical question

Jan 23, 2016, 8:52 AM

Something I never saw discussed on here, I apologize if I missed it earlier…..

I think the CFP Committee put the correct 4 teams in the playoff this year, although there was some argument in hindsight that maybe Stanford and Ohio State might have put up more of a fight than Oklahoma or MSU.

But the committee got somewhat of a free pass on that crazy 4th down play that Arkansas pulled off against Ole Miss, which ultimately led to an Arkansas win in overtime. If that freak play had not worked, Ole Miss – not Alabama – would’ve represented the SEC West in the SECCG.

I believe Ole Miss would’ve beaten UF the second time around to win the SECCG. But given that they were 18th in the initial playoff rankings, it would’ve been very difficult for the committee to justify moving them, with their 2 bad losses, ahead of teams like Oklahoma, MSU, Iowa, Ohio State, and maybe even Notre Dame and Stanford.

So a hypothetical question….. how would the CFP Committee have handled this scenario? 1) Find a way to justify moving Ole Miss into the top 4 by Week 14, meaning 2 SEC West teams in the playoff, or 2) Leave Ole Miss out of the playoff in favor of Bama, even though they beat Bama head-to-head, and were the SEC Champions?

Either way, there would’ve been a ton of controversy…. and I believe the Committee breathed a huge sigh of relief that it turned out the way it did.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CFP hypothetical question

Jan 23, 2016, 9:09 AM

I don't see how bama could get in the playoffs in that scenario. I know for sure that us and Oklahoma would have been in. Remember that everyone was talking about Oklahoma and how hot they were at the time. Heck, they were favored to win it all. So I think they still would have been in along with us obviously.

Now where it gets tricky is between MSU, bama, Stanford, and ole Miss. So in my opinion, I think ole Miss would get in ahead of Stanford just because they are in the sec. Kind of a no brained there.

So for the fourth spot, I think MSU would have gotten in ahead of bama and Stanford because they won their conference and had only one loss. They also had an impressive resume. I don't know if it would have played out this way, but that seems like the right teams to play in the playoffs.

Jan 23, 2016, 9:25 AM

Bama would have made it as 1 loss team. No doubt about it. That loss would have been even stronger had ole miss finished season as stated in post

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 23, 2016, 9:35 AM

Respectfully disagree. The committee made it clear that conference championships matter. They would be hard pressed to select Bama in that scenario. Even if they did, that would be far from a lock and definitely NOT "no doubt about it.". In that scenario, Ohio St would have the same argument.

No, OhSt didn't, they lost to MSU, who had only one loss

Jan 23, 2016, 9:58 AM

No way could you put OhSt in ahead of MSU. But Ole Miss would still have had TWO losses in OPs scenario. Personally, in his scenario, I think Bama would have still gotten in. They jumped to 2nd in the CFP as soon as they beat LSU...missing out on the SEC CG wouldn't have changed that. I do wish we had that scenario, just to see what the CFP would have done.

CFP said conference championships matter, but they didn't say it matters above ALL else.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Imo, Stanford would have been the pick...

Jan 23, 2016, 9:24 AM

I just don't see the committee selecting another sec team.
Go Tigers!!

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic