Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CFP Playoff Change to 6 teams?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

CFP Playoff Change to 6 teams?

Dec 5, 2017, 8:55 AM

With the debate the last two years over the Big 10 champions being left out, and this year with two SEC teams in, I was thinking that this might be a good solution (not gonna happen, I know - but seems like it would help and would be a little better than an 8 team solution):

Have a play-in game for the semifinal games. #3 vs #6 and #4 vs #5 each play mid-December. Could be a home game for the 3 and 4 seeds. Gives us something to watch other than the Tidy Bowl game. With the Power 5, it's a given in a 4 team playoff that at least one is going to be left out every year. A play-in option could accommodate that and resolve a lot of problems. Top seeds get a bye until the semi-final games.

The Cotton Bowl with Ohio St and USC will be a great game, for example, but too bad it doesn't go anywhere after that.

On another note, I don't think I'll ever understand why a full playoff is totally fine for all the other college football divisions but not for the big boys. Academic schedules are pretty much the same, are they not?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

kinda like this...

Dec 5, 2017, 9:06 AM

https://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=22727707

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. .cept my 6 would be

Dec 5, 2017, 9:06 AM

Clemson
Oklahoma
UGA
OSU
USC
CFU

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

No, it would water down the field, think of Clemson playing

Dec 5, 2017, 9:11 AM

OSU again or Bama playing Wisconsin or ??

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CFP Playoff Change to 6 teams?

Dec 5, 2017, 9:12 AM

I’ve been saying this for years...6 team playoff
5 Power 5 conference champs with auto berth
And then the highest rated group of 5 conference champ!!!

Conference championship games become de facto playoff games and there will be at least 12 teams entering the conference championship weekend that have a shot to make the playoffs...maybe a few more depending on how the group of 5 teams are doing that year...also ensures that each regular season game means something as if you’d don’t win your division then you don’t have a shot...

Will the absolute best teams make it every year...NOPE...but that doesn’t happen in any other playoff system either...people who earn it consistently throughout the year make it in...not who we “think” should be the best teams!!!

You sold me***

Dec 5, 2017, 9:19 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Dec 5, 2017, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Re: CFP Playoff Change to 6 teams? ]

They actually need to go to 8......The Power 5 Conference Championship winners, the highest ranked team from lower 1-A conferences, and two at large. Then rank them 1-8. First game played at home of teams ranked 1-4.

Season should begin a week earlier so first payoff game played in late Nov, early Dec. Then use current system for final 4.

This yearwould be:

Clemson
Georgia
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Southern Cal
UCF
Alabama
Wisconsin

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2017, 9:12 AM

I’ve been saying this for years...6 team playoff
5 Power 5 conference champs with auto berth
And then the highest rated group of 5 conference champ!!!

Conference championship games become de facto playoff games and there will be at least 12 teams entering the conference championship weekend that have a shot to make the playoffs...maybe a few more depending on how the group of 5 teams are doing that year...also ensures that each regular season game means something as if you’d don’t win your division then you don’t have a shot...

Will the absolute best teams make it every year...NOPE...but that doesn’t happen in any other playoff system either...people who earn it consistently throughout the year make it in...not who we “think” should be the best teams!!!

If Bama would have been left out this year....

Dec 5, 2017, 9:14 AM

serious discussion would have been made to expand it to 6 or 8.

But since 2 SEC teams made it (I don't agree with that) it will be left at 4 teams in the CFP and no discussion

You are correct on all counts.

Dec 5, 2017, 9:18 AM

The sad reality is that money drives it all and until the knuckleheads in charge realize that there is more money to be made by making the cotton or other bowl games meaningful, nothing changes. The academic line is just a smoke screen.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The problem with 6

Dec 5, 2017, 10:06 AM

No matter how you slice it, it puts power in the hands of the committee to decide who gets the byes and who has to play. This is unnecessary and unacceptable. Let their influence be limited to picking and seeding, not handing out byes. Either go to 8 or stay with 4.

Dec 5, 2017, 10:11 AM

We had 2 teams that deserved to compete for a national championship last year and 3 this year. The only year there was an argument that more than 4 teams truly deserved to be in was year one when TCU was left out for OSU, which ended up being the right decision with OSU winning the championship.

4 teams works best for everyone. Smaller schools get the extra game revenue from having 12 games and the exclusivity of the championship makes the regular season the most meaningful in all of sports. There’s a reason the B1G commissioner publicly supported the system even after they got left out this year.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic