Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Phil Steele's preseason Top 10
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Phil Steele's preseason Top 10

Jun 11, 2014, 10:12 AM

You can download his magazine on Iphone/Ipad and apparently someone did - I found this on a Bammer site.

His top 10 is below and you can go to his site to see the current countdown....he's currently at #19.

1. Free Crabs For U (FSU)
2. Alabama
3. Ohio St.
4. Oklahoma (He even starts the paragraph with "No, I'm not overreacting to their win over Alabama...")
5. UCLA (Kinda Ballsy pick here)
6. Oregon
7. Georgia (#1 surprise team)
8. Baylor
9. Auburn
10.South Carolina

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only four teams from the SEC? Preposterous!***

Jun 11, 2014, 10:15 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Phil Steele's preseason Top 10

Jun 11, 2014, 10:21 AM

Based on the current countdown and the fact there is no UNC yet, he obviously has UNC somewhere between 11 and 18. I assume that means he is predicting 4 losses to UGA, FSU, UNC and SC due to the #23 ranking.

Jun 11, 2014, 10:22 AM

I know this should not bother me but it does because when you are ranked higher losses don't hurt you as much...but ### is USuCk ranked 10th losing just as much if not more than we did...our D will be much better than theirs and the QB situation is a wash, for you coots that bring up well he beat yall in the Valley...yea that was a terrible D he faced and if it weren't for Shaw coming in and saving his #### last year yall would have two more losses...our special teams is better, and WR, I would say they may have a better RB than us but as a team I think we are deeper at RB...in any case why are we barely able to make the top 25 and they are sitting at 10 in most polls...makes no freakin sense.

Do rankings (especially by Phil Steele) matter when

Jun 11, 2014, 10:51 AM

we now have a selection committee?

Re: Do rankings (especially by Phil Steele) matter when

Jun 11, 2014, 10:59 AM

not saying his matter but this will be pretty close and yes I do think they matter, I think preseason ranking are stupid but they def matter...can hide losses and make big wins look like they mean the world...say USC loses to TAM first week, being ranked 10th and if its a decent game they may only drop to the 14-18 range, being ranked around 23rd like us prob puts them out and its harder to climb out of that hole is what im getting at

we win out, we are final 4. 100% of the time

Jun 11, 2014, 11:40 AM

We lose to UGA and win out, I also think that we are in 80% of the time.

We lose to Lville, gtech, UNC, or FSU, and win out (including the conference), we are in 70% of the time.

Any other single losses are 50-50 at best for making the top 4

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

63-17

If you look at his rankings over the years

Jun 11, 2014, 12:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Phil Steele's preseason Top 10 ]

it is a good thing he does not have us high. He gets more wrong than he does right, and the only reason he sells mags is because he has been doing it so long.

I am not sure he even pays attention anymore. I think he just puts random *^#@ together and prints it.

Jun 11, 2014, 10:22 AM

I really don't get the USuC love. They lose just as much as we do as far as their top playmakers, and I think we're in better position to reload with the talent we have.

Same with UGA who I would put in a similar situation as us besides their RB talent. We should have a better defense than them... especially our front 7.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Especially our front 7"...??? GA's weakness is their DBs...

Jun 11, 2014, 10:26 AM

We have a better D at all levels including LBs which is their strong point.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2014, 10:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Phil Steele's preseason Top 10 ]

I don't get why he calls UGA "#1 surprise team". What's so surprising about UGA being picked Top 10 since they start there every season?

That's simple. Their OL and Mike Davis.

Jun 11, 2014, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Phil Steele's preseason Top 10 ]

Many think their OL might be the best in the country this year.

Correct.

Jun 11, 2014, 11:46 AM

SC's weaknesses this year are DL, defensive secondary, and possibly QB. If SC gets even average (as in don't screw things up) QB play, SC will have one of the best offenses in the country.

How is UGA at #7 with no defensive backs?***

Jun 11, 2014, 11:32 AM

Those LBs are FAST.......Uh,huh....***

Jun 11, 2014, 11:38 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm curious, all the polls putting USuCk in the top 10,

Jun 11, 2014, 12:52 PM

anything you could write about Clemson justifying keeping us out of the top 15 would apply to USuCk as well: lose record-setting QB, top WR, lose most of D-line, including greatest player ever in history (obviously doesn't apply to us w/ Beasley back), and most of their DBs.

Their o-line is mostly intact and they have Davis back. That's it.

Definitely not saying Tigers deserve a high ranking, but the Coots sure as #### don't either IMO.

Agree..

Jun 11, 2014, 1:18 PM

People are saying Slurrier has his fun and gun offense back at usuc... But who is this "average, Shaw come save this game" QB going to be throwing to? Roland is the only that has been remotely above average so far and he is going to have to be #1 this year. Byrd is fast but coming off a knee surgery and Jones is below average. They barely have a WR that is over 5'11" that is good enough to play. Bottom line is Mike Davis and the OL are going to have to carry the team this year. And when you have a RB and OL carrying a team, most likely you are not one of the best in the country.

my thoughts on the coots

Jun 11, 2014, 1:48 PM [ in reply to I'm curious, all the polls putting USuCk in the top 10, ]

The higher they are the harder they will fall.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Re: CFB Live sd that SC returns more lettermen for the..

Jun 11, 2014, 2:01 PM [ in reply to I'm curious, all the polls putting USuCk in the top 10, ]

season than any other school in college football....off of the team which finished #4 in the final BCS rankings for last season.

Honestly......any of the traditional schools, like LSU, Alabama, Texas, UGA ND, etc, who did similar would be ranked in the Top 3 or 4, so just be glad that they dropped SC down that far......

Hades some schools who are coming off 8-5 seasons and fresh from a Gator Bowl loss to an average Nebraska team in UGA are back in their usual Top 10 preseason ranking.

Re: I'm curious, all the polls putting USuCk in the top 10,

Jun 11, 2014, 2:33 PM [ in reply to I'm curious, all the polls putting USuCk in the top 10, ]

Carolina didn't lose as much as Clemson on offense. Bryant and Watkins accounted for over 50% of Clemson's receiving yards. Bruce Ellington was't even 25% of Carolina's receiving yards. Connor Shaw was less than 25% of Carolina's rushing yards. Rodrick Mcdowel and Tahj Boyd were more than 50% of Clemson's rushing yards. Clemson also lost 2 O Lineman that impacted there success. So on offense Clemson lost a lot of production and protection. Carolina didn't lose nearly as much. Now on D line Carolina is in the same boat as Clemson's offense. Most of the production power is gone and it will be hard to replace the talent that left. Clemson's defense is like Carolinas offense where we lost good players but not main contributors that will be hard to replace. All in all both teams have a great chance next year to make it to the final 4. I hope we both come into the annual Carolina Clemson game undefeated so we both get the national exposure like the Iron bowl gets.

wow this guy should retire...hilarious***

Jun 11, 2014, 1:28 PM

No worries!!!

Jun 11, 2014, 3:10 PM

By the end of week one UGA will not be on that list, and USCjr. will be removed in week 12. Unseating FSU will be another animal altogether.

By the end of season we should be at least where UGA is, if not higher. If we were to some how pull out the game in Tally. We'll replace FSU in their spot. Which is a good place to be.

Go Tigers

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic