Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Buckeye fans - Thad Matta?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,794

Buckeye fans - Thad Matta?

Dec 26, 2019, 1:01 PM

Just curious at lot of you are on our board. If we let go of our bkball coach, Brad Brownell. What is the latest on Thad Matta's health peoblems after he left there? Would he be a good candidate here if he is healthy again?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Buckeye fans - Thad Matta?

Dec 26, 2019, 1:34 PM

Great coach and still only 52 but you are correct - health issues restricted his ability to recruit and coach during his last years on the bench. I would opt for a younger coach from a lower Div. 1 school who has energy and can bring his aggressive assistants with him.

Dec 26, 2019, 1:41 PM

First, I believe he has taken some interviews, I think I remember Georgia being on school that was interested in him. Seems he may want to get back into it if the fit is right.

Second, the recruiting issues mentioned above stem a fair amount from the games being played in basketball recruiting - sneaker deals, pay outs, etc. It's pretty well understood that he didn't play those games. Further, on the Zach Smith podcast with Jeremy Birmingham (excellent football recruiting guru for Lettermen Row) they discussed how OSU's athletic department is a stickler for the recruiting rules. I would imagine this would carry over to the basketball realm as well.

Not to say things don't ever happen with OSU and recruits, but they indicated UGA and Auburn, I think, that do not stick to the rules (and generally the entire SEC).

Given what your former asst. basketball coach said about paying your players, I doubt Matta would fit in here.

Dec 26, 2019, 1:54 PM

Interesting opinions. Thanks. You got a great bkball team this year that can go very far. Good to see your school support bkball as well.

Dec 26, 2019, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Buckeye fans - Thad Matta? ]

First, I believe he has taken some interviews, I think I remember Georgia being on school that was interested in him. Seems he may want to get back into it if the fit is right.

Second, the recruiting issues mentioned above stem a fair amount from the games being played in basketball recruiting - sneaker deals, pay outs, etc. It's pretty well understood that he didn't play those games. Further, on the Zach Smith podcast with Jeremy Birmingham (excellent football recruiting guru for Lettermen Row) they discussed how OSU's athletic department is a stickler for the recruiting rules. I would imagine this would carry over to the basketball realm as well.

Not to say things don't ever happen with OSU and recruits, but they indicated UGA and Auburn, I think, that do not stick to the rules (and generally the entire SEC).

Given what your former asst. basketball coach said about paying your players, I doubt Matta would fit in here.

Coach Smith made a mistake for sure and was shown the door. We may be frustrated with Coach Brownell, but there is no indication that incident reflects on the recruiting rules adherence overall. If Clemson was recruiting like Auburn and LSU to get players we’d already be on probation after 10 seasons of the Brownell tenure.

Dec 26, 2019, 4:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Buckeye fans - Thad Matta? ]

Quote: "Given what your former asst. basketball coach said about paying your players, I doubt Matta would fit in here."

That was BS and you should know it. First, he was talking about football .... and second he was dead wrong!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sadly...

Dec 26, 2019, 2:17 PM

the university administration doesn't seem to have any real appetite for parting ways with Coach Brownell.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Sadly...

Dec 26, 2019, 2:33 PM

BigCUFan® said:

the university administration doesn't seem to have any real appetite for parting ways with Coach Brownell.

Then why have we let the buyout dwindle to $850-450k to let him go?

The buyout was restructured in April of 2017

Dec 26, 2019, 2:42 PM

which would now be $850,000 in 2019, $425,000 in 2020, and 25 percent of that in the final year.

Frankly, while it's better than it was, it's still too friggin' much for a coach that no other school in the nation is even remotely interested in hiring.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: The buyout was restructured in April of 2017

Dec 26, 2019, 4:12 PM

he'd get hired.

His parents live down here in suncity Hilton Head***

Dec 26, 2019, 2:51 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My issue with bball is you have to get someone who recruits

Dec 26, 2019, 4:12 PM

I thought Brownell's biggest questions was recruiting. And it is. He kept our teams in the middle tier for his tenure and never really have a team that was close to Purnell's talent level. You gotta recruit in the ACC. Somehow, some way.

...Thad Matta.....don't really know a ton about him. Columbus kinda recruits itself if you're from Ohio and the surrounding areas. Clemson recruits itself in football but for basketball you gotta have a guy that is a magnet for recruiting. Problem for us is those guys don't last very long here....they jump to the next opportunity. So maybe a Thad would be good for setting up a program. But doesn't strike me as a great recruiter.

Could be wrong though b/c i don't really know who is a great recruiter in b-ball. Ever since the one and done thing and travel leagues have occurred NCAA basketball has really been diluted and hard to get invested in. I will always pull for Clemson but can't say i get too excited about B-Ball much anymore.

Re: My issue with bball is you have to get someone who recruits

Dec 26, 2019, 4:27 PM

Thad was a heck of a recruiter when he was healthy. Obviously the Greg Oden/Mike Conley class was his best, but he got guys like DeAngelo Russell and Evan Turner out of state and the Jared Sullinger’s and Kosta Koufas’s in state. His classes were consistently tops in the Big 10. He was terrific and it’s a shame he still isn’t coaching. A career winner!

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,794
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic