Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brownell comparison
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Brownell comparison

Feb 3, 2018, 11:08 PM

In my opinion Brownell most similarly compares to frank beamer.

When Beamer came to VT they were anything but a football power. It took him roughly 8 years before he finally broke through and started achieving real success there. They stuck with him and it paid off in the long term.

Here’s to hoping the same thing is happening with Brownell and we are turning the corner as a basketball program.

As always, Go Tigers

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brownell comparison

Feb 3, 2018, 11:37 PM

It's all about getting the talent to come to your program, and the remaking of Littlejohn was a help for Brad, and hopefully the wins will help him even more in recruiting. If he places good in the ACC tournament, and can win a couple in the NCAA tournament, hopefully it will be enough to show program improvement this season and hopefully it will help Brad in recruiting even better talent for next season. That is what I'm hoping for Brad and his team, bc Brad Brownell has the right character to be a Clemson coach!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would compare him to Grobe at Wake

Feb 3, 2018, 11:39 PM

Grobe has solid teams every 3-4 years. He never had the caliber of players that could leave early this he always had experienced teams. I am hoping Brownell has now setup the program to be similar to the runs Wake football had every now and then with Grobe. Solid teams that were always a tough out.

While I would love to see Clemson basketball become a powerhouse, I just don’t think that is a reasonable expectation. With that said, I would like to see us be a solid program that has a NCAA run every 3-4 years. Based on the way team played last year I think most reasonable fans could see the team having success this year. If Brownell can keep sprinkling in solid transfers along with above average recruits, I do think he can have the success here that would make a majority of the fan base happy.

If the best we can do is...

Feb 4, 2018, 12:35 PM

make the field of 64 once every 3-4 years, that’s a fail. There’s no reason Clemson can’t be in the tournament 3 OUT OF 4. To do that we need a coach who can recruit (not just be opportunistic in catching some transfers to fill roles), and to truly develop players (what happened to Nnoko? Did he make it to the NBA? After his jr. year it looked like he would... then poof!).
This has been Brownell’s best season so far. Those of you ready to talk about “turning corners” remind me of Tommy Bowden supporters. Let’s see where we go from this season. Let’s see if he can really build a program.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I would compare him to Grobe at Wake

Feb 4, 2018, 2:07 PM [ in reply to I would compare him to Grobe at Wake ]

“While I would love to see Clemson basketball become a powerhouse, I just don’t think that is a reasonable expectation”

Wow.....

Our last coach exceeded your expectations.

Good comparison. I don't expect Clemson will ever be

Feb 4, 2018, 12:38 AM

a perennial powerhouse on the level of UNC, Dook, etc., at least not in my lifetime, but Clemson is certainly capable of being solidly on that next tier right away. Those who think Clemson must permanently settle for an occasional NCAA tourney run are overestimating the power of tradition and vastly underestimating the specialness of Clemson. It's all about how bad we want it, making the commitment, and selling it to recruits. We may have turned that corner already.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

He needs to recruit better though. Two of our guards are

Feb 4, 2018, 12:42 AM

transfers and our center. Can't count on that long-term.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He needs to recruit better though. Two of our guards are

Feb 4, 2018, 1:01 AM

Take it one season at a time and keep working at it every season!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2018, 7:35 AM [ in reply to He needs to recruit better though. Two of our guards are ]

Definitely needs to recruit better but that will come with more success. Right now we just need to get the best guys possible on the floor. Regardless of where they came from

Bingo. WHO cares if they sign with us originally or

Feb 4, 2018, 8:27 AM

transfer in? Rather have a transfer with experience than a freshman with none.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2018, 2:09 PM [ in reply to Re: He needs to recruit better though. Two of our guards are ]

Idk....

Dabo inherited a mediocre program and it didn’t take him 8 years to start recruiting better.

Feb 4, 2018, 2:15 PM

Lol no where to be found during a win but now he shows up to criticize.

I am shocked /s

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Feb 4, 2018, 2:57 PM

I’m not criticizing....just making a factual statement.

Sorry those bother you.

Feb 5, 2018, 10:04 AM

So was I. Fact you are never here when we win.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Feb 4, 2018, 3:34 PM [ in reply to Re: He needs to recruit better though. Two of our guards are ]

Dabo didn’t immediately go from interim coach to the National Championship Coach. It took time for him to build his class and staff

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Feb 4, 2018, 7:41 PM [ in reply to Re: He needs to recruit better though. Two of our guards are ]

You just can't compare BB to FB with a FB first school!!!

He is recruiting better. Our 2017 class was very good.

Feb 4, 2018, 10:45 AM [ in reply to He needs to recruit better though. Two of our guards are ]

We have some very talented guys in our 2018 class as well. If you look at the guys we’ve signed these last couple of classes, you’ll see that they chose us over some other very good programs. We are recruiting good basketball players, not just good athletes. Rarely in Clemson’s history does that happen.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Agreed. While Brownell hasn't set any records, you can

Feb 4, 2018, 12:37 PM

go back almost every year leading up to now and see our roster and depth improve along the way. With the new facilities and national buzz we're getting overall, plus some on-court success like we're having, that could turn another corner. His recruiting is producing now, and that bodes well.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

who do we have coming in next year and are they any good /

Feb 4, 2018, 12:47 PM [ in reply to He is recruiting better. Our 2017 class was very good. ]

just curious, seems like we are doing pretty well right now, i just cant remember the names and placement in rankings and stars, ,

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2018 from 247

Feb 4, 2018, 12:53 PM

https://247sports.com/college/clemson/Season/2018-Basketball/Commits/

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2018 from 247

Feb 4, 2018, 1:09 PM

We are gonna have to start getting at least 1 strong 4 star recruit in every recruiting class if we are going to keep up with sustaining a ranked team at some level every year. As Tiger fans we expect to be at least a top 25 team, or we are going to want somebody FIRED, it is in our nature. Success to a Tiger fan is being ranked in the top 25 in the country!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

Agreed - I think recruiting needs to improve - and it may.

Feb 4, 2018, 12:22 PM [ in reply to He needs to recruit better though. Two of our guards are ]

I know our 2017 class was a good one - for us - but still was still mid-pack at best in the ACC according to Rivals.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Facilities "jump start" recruiting in this day and age ...

Feb 4, 2018, 4:43 PM [ in reply to He needs to recruit better though. Two of our guards are ]

We have shown a level of seriousness the past couple of years that Clemson has never shown before.

The money spent on Littlejohn was largely devoted to things that recruits notice and coaches value.

It appears to be paying off.

The transfers we got who are the backbone of the team right now didn't have to come to Clemson ... they could have all gone to a lot of other places but they chose Clemson for some reason.

The up-tick in the caliber of high school recruit we're getting the past two years is also due to "something" that wasn't around the previous few years.

What is it? Did Brad Brownell suddenly become a master salesman on the recruiting trail?

Or did he take the renewed commitment of Clemson to spending money on the basketball program and use it to convince better players to join his program?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Facilities "jump start" recruiting in this day and age ...

Feb 4, 2018, 5:04 PM

I agree! The coach has to have support from the administration, facilities, fans etc. it seems to me that all of that had changed in recent years to help our basketball program. Now that we have the facilities and the administration is invested in basketball in seems to be paying off. We have a good group of young men playing this year and I see nothing wrong with getting really good players that transfer from juco

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

look what it did for UVA***

Feb 4, 2018, 7:45 PM [ in reply to Facilities "jump start" recruiting in this day and age ... ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2018, 12:39 AM

All good comparisons but I really think he can build something consistent. I base that on the expansion of the acc. With the expanded footprint and the tremendous success that fb our recruiting base should expand and no doubt kids want to play in the acc. It’s up to B.B. to take advantage.

Good post !

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2018, 4:02 AM

Excellent post. Coach BB has done well this year. Lets hope your comparison holds true.

I'll believe it when I see it.***

Feb 4, 2018, 7:39 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, come on, u can do better'n that

Feb 4, 2018, 8:21 AM

J. Wooden. Arrived at UCLA, I think, maybe '48?, not successful and started winning titles until late 50's.

Anybody, but the Teflon Don of CFB, Brad deserves better...

Feb 4, 2018, 10:39 AM

I understand the Beamer comparison based on what many people believe of FB, but Frank Beamer was about Frank Beamer - win at all cost, while at the expense of integrity and/or the betterment of the student-athlete.

Also, keeping Beamer after his 2-8-1 season was as likely about the financial ruin and NCAA probation Bill Dooley helped leave the AD/football program under, as showing FB some other worldly display of loyalty on VPI&SU's part. I'm not sure they had many options remaining at that point -- but there is little doubt it worked out for the better if winning was everything as he'd later begin his run of 10 win seasons.

VPI&SU had been left so in debt with limited support they openly discussed dropping to 1-AA, even murmurings of ending the program after Dooley steal away a thief in the night, then sued VPI for the cool million he'd helped negotiate for himself as soon to be AD and HC. He left Hoki Hi for Wake leaving in his wake Mike Slive and an NCAA investigation[s]. There's a nice series from a VPI writer on that time if any are interested - Season[s] of Discontent or some such.

From the WP, "Interim athletic director Raymond Smoot said he would discuss with the NCAA what actions the school had to take regarding Matthews' violations.

The basketball program, under recently resigned coach Charlie Moir, was found guilty of 13 violations, including charges that a booster helped a player's wife obtain financing for a car. The football program, under former coach Bill Dooley, had awarded too many scholarships for several years.

At one point, Virginia Tech had 114 players on scholarships -- 19 over the NCAA limit. During that time, even though the football and basketball teams enjoyed success on the field and the court, the athletic department ran up huge deficits, leaving it with a debt now reportedly approaching $4 million.

"These sanctions are harsh, in keeping with the serious nature of the violations," Smoot said yesterday in a statement. "I am heartened, however, by the fact that the NCAA recognized the good faith shown by Virginia Tech in initiating the investigation and reporting the results to the NCAA. These actions demonstrate that the university is committed to strict observance of the rules."

Smoot is the third man to sit in the athletic director's chair in the last 12 months. The first to do so was Dooley, who was told during last season that he would not be retained as both football coach and athletic director at the end of the football season. He quit, citing breach of contract, and sued Virginia Tech, eventually winning a $1 million out-of-court settlement."

As for Beamer Ball and his litany of purposeful missteps, here's a taste...

Again, I understand that it's some time ago and time can wash away stains, but Brad Brownell seems a far, far finer person than FB and deserves better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anybody, but the Teflon Don of CFB, Brad deserves better...

Feb 4, 2018, 1:28 PM

Frank Beamer took advantage of focusing on his special teams that helped his winning percentage a lot bc, he would win a lot of his games that were close going into the last couple of minutes of a game, or going into over time games. That is where the name Beamer ball came from. Frank coached special teams himself, and he won a lot of games with his special teams!!!

Hoki Hi had some nice sts, they also had Stinespring...

Feb 4, 2018, 2:17 PM

Haha, Stiney was loved by the Hoki faithful, loved I tell you.

;)

Still, Frankie Schemer couldn't hold a candle to what I've seen of theBrad & his guiding hand when it comes to all things off the court/field.

Have a good one aoatt52.

How dependent has this year's team been on transfers?

Feb 4, 2018, 2:03 PM

Is this the new Clemson/Brownell approach? And if yes, who do we have that is practicing with team this year and will be eligible next year 2019/20? Also, when is deadline for Clemson/Brownell signing more transfers to sit out next year and play in 2020/21 season?

With Zion receiving all the publicity for signing elsewhere, are there any freshman recruits who can compete for P.T. in 2019/20? Thanks for feedback ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our best players are transfers, with the exception of DeVoe.

Feb 4, 2018, 3:13 PM

Mitchell, Reed, and Thomas were all transfers. Donnal and Skara, both key reserves, were also.

I think it was a brilliant move by Brownell to get these guys. Some view it as a weakness of him that he had to go that route, but transfers in college basketball are really common. The advantage to this approach is that he can see how they did against college-level competition, and then decide if he still wants them.

For all of the criticism Brownell gets about recruiting, it is unfair not to count getting these transfers as part of his recruiting. These guys were wanted by plenty of other good programs via transfer, and they chose Clemson. Why some people here aren't willing to give Brownell credit for recruiting those guys is beyond me.

We don't have any transfers sitting out this year. I will be curious to see if we go after any this year. I'm sure if there is one who can fill a need, Brownell will take him. I believe we will have two scholarships open after this year (DeVoe and Donnal), assuming no one transfers out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

1 thing bout beamer

Feb 4, 2018, 3:23 PM

hokies were on probation when he took over and down a massive number of scholarships

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 1 thing bout beamer

Feb 4, 2018, 3:28 PM

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic