Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brownell Pros and Cons: What grade would you give him/why?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,723

Brownell Pros and Cons: What grade would you give him/why?

Feb 19, 2019, 11:01 PM

Pros: Pretty good defensive mind. Made the tournament one time during his last eight seasons and had a nice little run.

Cons: Horrible offensive mind. Not a good player developer. Made the tournament one time during his last eight seasons. Loves excuses. Not a great motivator. Very bland and boring brand of basketball that doesn't attract recruits at a school already in the shadow of NC.

Grade at his time at Clemson? C-

What say you?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brownell Pros and Cons: What grade would you give him/why?

Feb 19, 2019, 11:04 PM

Solid D. He had a fluke year with Gabe Devoe and Grantham hitting shots. Which allowed for a larger margin of error to go unnoticed. At the end if the day this game is all about offense. A good offense can overcome a good defense more often than the opposite. Which you are seeing this year

Feb 19, 2019, 11:16 PM

Grantham was not a good player. He would choke or quit against good teams plus he didn’t play but a little ove half the season

Feb 19, 2019, 11:18 PM

I will say, Grantham was one of the few players that really did develop here. He was having a great season last year before he got hurt and has been solid in the G League.

Feb 19, 2019, 11:21 PM

Grantham was shooting 40 plus percent from behind the arc, over 65 percent from the field averaging 16 points a game before he got hurt. He was the WV player of the year in HS who took awhile to get it together, but he did when it counted. PERSONALLY we need more Blossomgame type players who can jump and shoot. Very athletic. U can teach those kind of guys to play defense

Feb 19, 2019, 11:27 PM

What did he do against unc ?

Yes, a horrible player - so bad that he's in the NBA now.

Feb 19, 2019, 11:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Brownell Pros and Cons: What grade would you give him/why? ]

You go to great lengths to complain and be negative, and don't even let facts get in your way!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Feb 19, 2019, 11:08 PM

F for this season. Never could teach Eli Thomas to play in control. Shelton Mitchell regressed. Sims regressed. Reed couldn’t handle pressure. None of the freshman were ever able to really contribute at any point in the season.

Career D.

Feb 19, 2019, 11:13 PM

Season: D -- we have so many players regress. No motivation to keep playing hard. Lack confidence to shoot well. Struggle defending 3.

Career here: C - most players don't develop. Lack of consistent offensive power. Rinse and repeat.

He gets an A+ in being a good guy.***

Feb 19, 2019, 11:11 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He gets an A+ in being a good guy.***

Feb 19, 2019, 11:18 PM

There's always one optimistic weazel ?????? well done Snow lol. Guys let's be honest the rest of the conference is recruiting at a high level 4 stars minimum at every position. We have been recruiting at a terrible low level. 3 star or bust. This year our freshmen have been busts. Brad is not a good evaluator of talent and I have always believed he flirts with going too much for defense first. So now you have guys he though knew defense but omg we forgot offense. This year has been such a disappointment and I'm not sure what will ever fix Clemson basketball. For guessing I'd say recruit a 7'4 guy for a change ??

Feb 19, 2019, 11:22 PM

Brownell compared to the entire history of Clemson basketball? A solid B-. We've never been the ACC doormat since he's been here (although we've lingered close at times). He wins just enough as compared to historical Clemson season win totals with the talent he's got.

As a recruiter, developer of talent, and personality? C-. Can't close out on a top-100 recruit here-or-there like previous coaches and when he does...doesn't have a consistent record of improving them. I've never heard one of our players say "I love playing for Coach Brownell. I'd put my body on the line for him." I don't know if his players love/respect him enough to buy in, and I think it hurts the team.

Solid guy and upholds all you'd hope for in a Clemson sports coach, but has consistently underperformed, underwhelmed, and runs a boring "offense" that is reliant on 3-point shooting.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

~Wigwedge~

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,723
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic