Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brownell
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Brownell

Feb 8, 2017, 1:42 PM

I'll say it, just like I said it for years with Dabo before he became universally beloved and everyone jumped on the bandwagon. Brownell is a good coach. Is he a Dabo: No. But, I think he knows xs and os. We've been a bit snake-bit this year and he is responsible ultimately for some of that just like any head coach. However, I still think the program is improving. Let's face it....this is basketball at Clemson. It ain't football. The support is average at best. Our crowds this year have been very weak (last night was embarrassing for such a critical game). We are in the toughest league which happens to be having it's best collective year in league history. "If" we were in the SEC (as they say in football) we'd probably be about 7-3, or so, right now.

Anyway, I'm not saying he is the savoir, but I do think he is working on a slow continual improvement (in spite of our record!). I also think the program would be better served keeping him around another year or two anyway, unless we are prepared to invest serious money into a high level coach (such as Greg Marshall). Hell, Marshall probably wouldn't even consider Clemson.

Don't make a change just to make a change. My 2 cents.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You make some good points, and

Feb 8, 2017, 1:43 PM

I'll trust DRad and the Administration to do what is right and I'll continue to support the players & coaching staff.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Brownell

Feb 8, 2017, 1:47 PM

This would make sense if it was about 3 to 4 years that he had been there. I would understand your point completely. But at some point a program has to have some realistic expectations. Years ago we were all clamoring to win a tournament game and now its more of just making it. That is not what we should expect.

I will agree that the conference is pretty strong this year (hence why our rpi is lower than usual with our given record). But you got to finish games and last night was another example of not finishing.

With new facilities and other things there are not as many excuses anymore. It is really time for a change.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we just need bb 7-8 more years

Feb 8, 2017, 1:51 PM

to fully realize the dream of that coveted nit bid - its a great time to be a tiger

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Your definition of "improvement" and mine must be

Feb 8, 2017, 1:55 PM

very different.

We wouldn't be making a change just to make a change

Feb 8, 2017, 2:03 PM

we would be making a change because the team keeps losing. And last night wasn't due to a lack of effort by the players, Cuse hit a buzzer beater because the coaching staff screwed up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Brownell

Feb 8, 2017, 2:25 PM

Cannot recruit ready-to-play big men who will solidly contribute for each year of their participation.
Plays a horrible outside perimeter game with no effective inside game.
Without the recruitment of 3-4 solidly talented players each year we are doomed to failure in the ACC.
To count on a steady flow of transfer players each year is an admission that you cannot recruit.

I'm not buying what you're selling***

Feb 8, 2017, 2:28 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

There has been zero improvement.

Feb 8, 2017, 3:11 PM

Z-E-R-O. If anything, there has been an undeniable decline.

3 consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances prior to Brownell. One appearance his 1st year, then none for 6 straight years. No finishing ranked. No conference titles. Those are the things that count; everything else is way, way back in second place, and in those areas there has actually been a decline.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: There has been zero improvement.

Feb 8, 2017, 7:26 PM

It isn't even finishing ranked, he has never had us ranked in 7 years. We were ranked in each of Purnell's last 4 years and haven't cracked the top 25 since.

You just don't know squat about basketball

Feb 8, 2017, 3:29 PM

Brownell a good coach? You have to be joking. If you pay attention you'd notice his players regress year after year. Just look at Grantham, he was a stud as a freshman. Now he's a just a mess. Even Blossomgame is regressing. Coming back this year probably cost him a lot of money. Players notice these things and that's why nobody wants to play for him. Brownell would probably make a decent assistant coach, but he's way over his head as HC in the ACC.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You just don't know squat about basketball

Feb 8, 2017, 6:47 PM

My players probably agree with you.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic