Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brianna just stood at the gold podium while National Anthem
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Brianna just stood at the gold podium while National Anthem

Aug 18, 2016, 8:50 PM

played along with silver and bronze from usa...very cool...go tigers baby

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brianna just stood at the gold podium while National Anthem

Aug 18, 2016, 9:25 PM

Yeah....and all 3 Americans failed to put their right hand over their heart. Disgrace!

hand over your heart is for the pledge not the anthem***

Aug 18, 2016, 9:27 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly...people are like sheep***

Aug 18, 2016, 9:29 PM

Re: hand over your heart is for the pledge not the anthem***

Aug 18, 2016, 9:30 PM [ in reply to hand over your heart is for the pledge not the anthem*** ]

You are correct.

Aug 18, 2016, 9:39 PM

Incorrect.

Care to quote source on this?***

Aug 19, 2016, 12:13 AM [ in reply to Re: hand over your heart is for the pledge not the anthem*** ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Technically you are right

Aug 20, 2016, 11:14 AM

This, however, seems to be the modernized acceptable behavior.

Modern custom does not require a hand over the heart, said Anne Garside, director of communication for the Maryland Historical Society, home of the original manuscript of The Star-Spangled Banner.

"I think the bottom line is that you show respect with your demeanor," she said. "Whether you put your hand over your heart, hold your hat at shoulder level or waist level, is really in this day and age irrelevant."

Aug 18, 2016, 9:41 PM [ in reply to hand over your heart is for the pledge not the anthem*** ]

Lol. Crickets

Aug 18, 2016, 9:44 PM [ in reply to hand over your heart is for the pledge not the anthem*** ]

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/36/301

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems suspect to dictate what civilians should do.

Aug 18, 2016, 9:49 PM

Military yes, but civilians no.

Re: Seems suspect to dictate what civilians should do.

Aug 18, 2016, 9:56 PM

Incorrect, read up.

I did read it, but if someone were to challenge the ...

Aug 18, 2016, 10:01 PM

... constitutionality of that code (I assume it isn't actually a law) I doubt it would stand.

Re: Seems suspect to dictate what civilians should do.

Aug 19, 2016, 10:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Seems suspect to dictate what civilians should do. ]

Dood get over ur self righteous bs. USA SWEPT!

Does it really matter if you salute or put your hand over your heart???

Aug 20, 2016, 12:26 PM [ in reply to Re: hand over your heart is for the pledge not the anthem*** ]

As long as you love this great country.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2016, 9:49 PM [ in reply to hand over your heart is for the pledge not the anthem*** ]

Not according to the us flag code. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Flag_Code

But I don't think that is a disgrace. I'm proud of her for representing USA so well!

Aug 18, 2016, 10:04 PM

It is a disgrace to not properly present yourself during the playing of your country's National Anthem. If you think otherwise, you're delusional.

Aug 19, 2016, 9:11 AM

Good lord

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

I would hope the U.S. Olympic Committee would inform all

Aug 18, 2016, 11:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Brianna just stood at the gold podium while National Anthem ]

athletes they should put their hand over their heart during the playing of the national anthem, unless they are military or a veteran, in which case they salute.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I would hope the U.S. Olympic Committee would inform all

Aug 20, 2016, 10:20 AM

Sean hannity said the same thing. he thought it was a disgrace, so I am going to repeat everything he said and pretend to be outraged.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is not a disgrace, and you're just looking for something

Aug 19, 2016, 6:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Brianna just stood at the gold podium while National Anthem ]

to be upset about. Is it an oversight? Sure. Disgraceful? Come on. There are so many other things in the world to be mad about. This isn't even worth paying attention to.

Agree completely. If you watched that

Aug 19, 2016, 7:29 AM

Podium presentation of THREE Americans receiving medals, with the gold going to a Clemson girl, and your reaction is outrage because of an etiquette breach, that is sad. I'm a man in my 40s and I didn't know you were supposed to put your hand over your heart.

Perhaps, NYB, you should just enjoy a great event, then maybe write a letter to the US Olympic committee and ask them to advise all athletes on the proper etiquette during the anthem.

null

Aug 19, 2016, 7:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Brianna just stood at the gold podium while National Anthem ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2016, 7:25 AM

^^ Opposite of disgrace ^^

Great picture!

Her right index finger was not holding the flag the correct way. ..disgrace.***

Aug 19, 2016, 7:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Brianna just stood at the gold podium while National Anthem ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

When you win a gold medal you can do it the way you want

Aug 19, 2016, 7:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Brianna just stood at the gold podium while National Anthem ]

I in no way feel disgraced

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Disgrace???

Aug 19, 2016, 10:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Brianna just stood at the gold podium while National Anthem ]

> Yeah....and all 3 Americans failed to put their right
> hand over their heart. Disgrace!

I'm not saying your a negative bonehead, but I would draw your attention to the fact that she's worked tirelessly for years in order to represent Clemson and the US in the Olympics.

She brings us home a Gold Medal. Great for her, great for Clemson and great for us. But you detract from all of that over mindless symbolism.

Well, you can take that self-righteous, negative, couch potato faux patriotism and stick it right up your olympic sized asspodium!

+1...***

Aug 20, 2016, 9:56 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2016, 8:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Brianna just stood at the gold podium while National Anthem ]

I am proud of the ladies because they did so well.

But this debate was interesting to me. I lived on military bases while my Dad was stationed in Germany. At 4:30 every night the national anthem was played while they lowered the flag. My Dad always expected me to stand there with my hands at my sides, no slouching, swaying, talking, or fidgeting. He never told me to put my hand over my heart.

When I got older and noticed folks doing it, I figured it was just a preference and not necessarily something that was required. To this day, I continue ue to do what my Dad taught me.....except now I like to sing the anthem too.

I will have to consider changing my ways if people consider it disrespectful.

Given the time, effort and sacrifice they've given...

Aug 20, 2016, 10:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Brianna just stood at the gold podium while National Anthem ]

... to represent our country, I think I'll cut them a little slack over how you think they should behave on the podium.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

absolutely nothing in tradition or custom that demands

Aug 20, 2016, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Brianna just stood at the gold podium while National Anthem ]

people put their hands over their hearts during the anthem.

United States Code, Title 36, Chap 10, §171

Aug 18, 2016, 9:48 PM

During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should render the military salute at the first note of the anthem and retain this position until the last note. When the flag is not displayed, those present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed there.

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Re: United States Code, Title 36, Chap 10, §171

Aug 18, 2016, 9:52 PM

Apparently we've only been doing this since World War Two so we didn't resemble Nazis when we did the original Bellamy Salute. Meh...I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. Things change, times change.

Change in Oct. 2008 also allows veterans

Aug 18, 2016, 9:58 PM [ in reply to United States Code, Title 36, Chap 10, §171 ]

to render the hand salute instead of placing the hand over the heart.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Change in Oct. 2008 also allows veterans

Aug 18, 2016, 10:15 PM

Hell, I am just happy they weren't all checking their phones and taking a selfie. Young people ain't us.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've never in my life seen anyone put their hand over their

Aug 20, 2016, 10:53 AM [ in reply to United States Code, Title 36, Chap 10, §171 ]

heart while singing the national anthem. I've also never been at a sporting event where people did not routinely cheer after the anthem, which is an absolute breach of protocol, and yet nobody stands around griping about it.

Brianna is a woman not a man, so women aren't addressed in..

Aug 20, 2016, 12:21 PM [ in reply to United States Code, Title 36, Chap 10, §171 ]

that code just men.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic