Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Breaking news. Justice RBG has died.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 62
| visibility 1

Breaking news. Justice RBG has died.

Sep 18, 2020, 7:41 PM

Sad

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Abolish Qualified Immunity

RIP Justice Ginsberg***

Sep 18, 2020, 7:42 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Breaking news. Justice RBG has died.

Sep 18, 2020, 7:43 PM

again?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From back in the day when

Sep 18, 2020, 7:48 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2020, 7:48 PM

I recall Mitch McConnell saying something about not confirming a new justice in an election year when a democrat POTUS was in office. Let’s see if he “changed his mind”

Sep 18, 2020, 7:49 PM

he wont miss this opportunity, lets just say his position has evolved

Sep 18, 2020, 7:56 PM

I think you are right.
Would be surprised if he didn’t

Sep 18, 2020, 7:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Breaking news. Justice RBG has died. ]

Did the Dems kill the filibuster yet? They may wait a little bit now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Sep 18, 2020, 7:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Breaking news. Justice RBG has died. ]

Sep 18, 2020, 8:05 PM

Of course it was that lol
Did he wink when he said it??

It may not matter.

Sep 18, 2020, 8:11 PM

Romney is essentially a Democrat.
Collins will vote no due to the timing.
Murkowski too.
So that’s 50-50 since the two “independents” are really Dems too.
Just one more flake and it’s over.

Trump could nominate a “moderate” lesbian Black woman and they’d still vote no.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Sep 18, 2020, 8:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Breaking news. Justice RBG has died. ]

His initial comment after scalia's death was...

Sep 18, 2020, 8:17 PM

"the American people should have a voice in the selection of the next Supreme Court justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president.”

and that was a full year before the election.

He's changed that to better reflect whatever argument makes better sense but the underlying sentiment is still as clear now as it was then.

Don’t care

Sep 18, 2020, 8:19 PM

lol***

Sep 18, 2020, 8:19 PM

Man, you guys really have no integrity

Sep 18, 2020, 8:25 PM [ in reply to Don’t care ]

I’d expect that of politicians, but not grown ### ‘men’ saying too bad so sad.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don’t care

Sep 18, 2020, 8:26 PM [ in reply to Don’t care ]

I think the GOP might discover this is a tar baby.

So punch away.

Re: His initial comment after scalia's death was...

Sep 18, 2020, 8:19 PM [ in reply to His initial comment after scalia's death was... ]

He knows this election will be rigged and not “reflect the will of the People.”

lol***

Sep 18, 2020, 8:20 PM

Sep 18, 2020, 8:26 PM [ in reply to His initial comment after scalia's death was... ]

They will trump was elected by the people and for the people. Now he would have placed 3 Supreme Court Justices.

3 million more votes and he might pass Hillary***

Sep 18, 2020, 8:40 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2020, 9:31 PM [ in reply to His initial comment after scalia's death was... ]

wartime decision

Sep 18, 2020, 8:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Breaking news. Justice RBG has died. ]

You mean, when one side has the power to do what they want and eff tradition, fairness, and consistency.

McConnell and Trump will pounce.

They may wish they hadn't. As many have noted, what goes around, comes around...maybe harder. My hope was we'd keep a 5-4 conservative majority with Roberts acting as a swing vote to act as some break on the Dems...personally, I prefer the Court stay a bit conservative because you don't want a liberal activist court; they tend to do good at the expense of the letter of the law. Judges are supposed to enforce the law, not interpret it.

On the other hand, stacking the court with nothing but far-right judges from the Federalists is only going to make it lopsided. Which in turn virtually guarantees if the Dems win a supermajority they'll instantly come in and pack it...and it also will set afire just a whole bunch of GOP Senators who are already fighting for their political lives.

This isn't what the country needed. At all.

Sep 18, 2020, 8:16 PM

You mean like the Dems did with Obamacare?

Judges are supposed to enforce the law, not interpret it.

No, that’s the Executive Branch.

Sep 18, 2020, 8:24 PM

You are correct. I phrased it badly.

Liberal activist judges tend to...shall we say, expand on the intent and often actual wording of the law. Conservative judges tend to be strict-constructionists: the law says this, therefore we will not exceed the letter as it is written.

As a rule I prefer the strict constructionists.

The problem is, when you let the Federalists name guys off their far-right wish list, you get actual partisans. Strangely, Kavanaugh and Gorsuch haven't been quite as bad as the Dems might have feared...but Alito and especially Thomas are partisans and have always been partisans, and another conservative justice and whatever balance the court might have had is gone.

Which means the Dems will move to pack it or alter it. And then we're back to liberal activism out of the court again.

So you’re saying what we already know

Sep 18, 2020, 8:32 PM

projection***

Sep 18, 2020, 8:36 PM

Re: projection***

Sep 18, 2020, 8:39 PM

Re: So you’re saying what we already know

Sep 18, 2020, 8:42 PM [ in reply to So you’re saying what we already know ]

You say this with a straight face after McConnell straight-up stole the seat Gorsuch is sitting in? Trump had a really good idea at the time: he almost nominated Merrick Garland again, the same guy McConnell refused to call a vote on.

You saw what the rage on that one was during the Kavanaugh hearing. You ain't seen nothing when Trump goes and stuffs in a third one...and just before the election.

Have you really thought this through? What am I asking...of course you haven't.

But it'll force a whole bunch of GOP Senators on the brink of getting voted out to make a decision they really don't want to have to make right now. If the Senate wasn't gone for the GOP before, it surely will be after this. For every action, as they say....

Rage away you phony independent

Sep 18, 2020, 8:47 PM

Re: Rage away you phony independent

Sep 18, 2020, 9:03 PM

Gawds you're a shortsighted idiot.

If the Dems win a supermajority - and they likely will - what would have put some brakes on them is the Supreme Court as it is currently situated...with a 5-4 Republican lean. The Dems could have lived with that and would have waited...hoping for their own chance to fill a seat.

When it goes to 6-3 they'll know it isn't going to happen...so they're going to pack it, and almost from Minute 1. Which means every brake on the Dems will then be gone.

Politics is a balancing act...where both sides are supposed to get some of what they want. What we're doing now isn't politics.

The next step after that will be to start adding states. Good luck putting the brakes on then.

Sep 18, 2020, 9:08 PM

Sep 18, 2020, 9:25 PM

You really are ready to line up next to olemike59.

Okay, have it your way. But don't say I didn't tell you so. I told you so. In words of one syllable.

Trump can still avoid all that...if he goes and nominates a moderate. It'd probably go a long way to securing him re-election, and it might save the Senate.

The whole point of the court is it's supposed to be as impartial as possible. Because everybody has to accept its decisions. When it loses the ability to be viewed as an impartial arbiter it becomes just another corrupted institution whose authority nobody respects...a situation America really needs to avoid.

Nobody "wins" by packing a court. People just stop respecting the law itself. The next stop after that is anarchy.

Sep 18, 2020, 9:31 PM

Please name something the dems want

Sep 18, 2020, 9:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Rage away you phony independent ]

and don’t have some of.

*I do not believe for one second that the dems will ever pump brakes, use restraint, not take full advantage of any situation. They’ve done that for decades. Pubs are the only ones who have tried to play nice in the past 15 years.

I say it’s time to fight and the dems have already reaped what they sow.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree to a point...

Sep 18, 2020, 9:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Rage away you phony independent ]

but RGB's passing puts the motivation factor in the election regardless of what happens.

So these people are going to be more motivated to vote if a selection is pushed through now than they would be if the selection is installed after the election?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree to a point...

Sep 18, 2020, 9:27 PM

that I agree with...

Sep 18, 2020, 9:30 PM

and I do not think nominating a "moderate" right now is going to show any good will. We are past that at this point in our history.

We have a clear disagreement over right and wrong in this country and what constitutes "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

Re: that I agree with...

Sep 18, 2020, 9:47 PM

We do not have anything like "clear" disagreement.

America is like a married couple having really unproductive screaming matches without even understanding what the actual issues are.

Those of us trying to stand in the middle are getting really effing frustrated, franc.

I'm not sure where the middle ground is...

Sep 18, 2020, 9:59 PM

we have gone completely insane.

Re: I'm not sure where the middle ground is...

Sep 18, 2020, 10:11 PM

You see it...but then you turn right around and deny Trump and his brand of incendiary divisive politics have absolutely anything to do with that.

The problem with crazy is it makes sane people crazy. And populist leaders feed on the crazy, amplify it, and use the chaos created.

There is a causality here...if you'd care to admit it.

The real problem is, IMHO, that the working class is facing a bleak future, and nobody has remotely proposed a solution. Manufacturing and farming jobs are evaporating...a trend that is only going to accelerate as automation, 3-D printing, and vertical farming tech matures...which is exactly what is driving the wealth gap and destroying the lower and middle classes. Ownership, increasingly, is everything in America. That creates instability...which populist leaders like Trump then feed upon.

America doesn't have a race problem, though it thinks it does. IMHO what America actually has is a vision-for-the-future problem, and a wealth-distribution problem...which is creating a massive class problem. The lower classes are going backwards and they know it...and the lower classes disproportionally includes blacks because they have so little generational wealth owing to their origins as slaves followed by decades of Jim Crow.

So it's actually a real simple question, but one without an easy answer: how is the working class going to make a living going forwards?

aren't those issues legislative issues?

Sep 18, 2020, 10:21 PM

I'm not sure what that has to do with the judicial branch.

When you talk about Trump and his "incendiary divisive politics" and how horrible it is for the country are you also deeply burdened and offended by the cancellation of free speech and protestors going into restaurants and harassing people while they are minding their own business.

I know, you will argue they aren't the same - but how do we fight back against the suppression of our rights?

I have a real difficult time believing justice has a middle ground. I'm not sure how anybody can affirm with a clear conscience that we all have the unalienable right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness but can't even get by the first word of "life." Hard to creatively define that no matter how hard we try.

Re: that I agree with...

Sep 18, 2020, 10:09 PM [ in reply to Re: that I agree with... ]

According to NPR, her last wish to her granddaughter was...

Sep 18, 2020, 7:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Breaking news. Justice RBG has died. ]

"My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed."

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/18/100306972/justice-ruth-bader-ginsburg-champion-of-gender-equality-dies-at-87?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=politics&utm_term=nprnews&utm_source=twitter.com

Re: According to NPR, her last wish to her granddaughter was...

Sep 18, 2020, 8:12 PM

Of course she said that.
Did she wink when she said it?

Re: According to NPR, her last wish to her granddaughter was...

Sep 18, 2020, 8:24 PM

Good luck with that one.

Sep 18, 2020, 7:50 PM

Good. Hopefully she is seeing the faces of all the millions of babies she killed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nope

Sep 18, 2020, 7:51 PM

she went the opposite direction

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2020, 7:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Breaking news. Justice RBG has died. ]

LIFE would make a better helmet sticker than BLM

Message was edited by: ClemsonRangers®

I remember reading that verse in the Bible***

Sep 18, 2020, 8:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Breaking news. Justice RBG has died. ]

Sep 18, 2020, 8:22 PM

May she rest in peace. It was sad they did not let her retire. This should be interesting going forward.

Sep 18, 2020, 9:52 PM

Hearings start Monday LOL!

She must have been on her death bed how many times and the liberal MSM wouldn't dare report it.

I look forward to an early November confirmation! Bawahahahahaha

Sep 18, 2020, 9:59 PM

Yeah, at least 4 GOP Senators - 3 of them whose heads are on potentially the block - have already come out and said "no way" to calling for a vote. One of them is Lindsey Graham.

I didn't think they'd want to touch this one with a fork...and it very much appears they don't. They know what it would mean for their re-election chances...and the mood of the country.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/ruth-bader-ginsburg-death-live-updates/h_73403b4eaf42724ec9db79154591d223

Sep 18, 2020, 10:18 PM

“the mood of the country” is all the rage on the left. Vote for us, or we’ll have our minions burn down your neighborhood.

Sep 18, 2020, 10:21 PM

Yeah, the rage is all on the left.

Sep 18, 2020, 10:27 PM

Do you really want to go picture for picture?

Sep 18, 2020, 10:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Breaking news. Justice RBG has died. ]

Sep 18, 2020, 10:43 PM

If they pack the court on the way out the door you can absolutely guarantee the Dems will do the same as a first order of business on about, oh...January 23rd or so.

And then we're off to the races with absolutely no stopper on the Dem agenda whatsoever, if they hold a supermajority.

If the GOP holds off they probably preserve their 5-4 majority, because it'd be extremely hard for the Dems to justify turning around and packing the court after the GOP just refused to do so.

If the GOP grabs for one last pick, it'll be the last majority the Republicans have on the court for the foreseeable future, and I doubt it lasts more than six weeks.

Is that really a good trade-off?

Sep 18, 2020, 10:53 PM

Sep 18, 2020, 10:28 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was trying to observe the lamp...

Sep 18, 2020, 10:29 PM

thanks a lot RBG

For some reason I feel like she may already be at -320F

Sep 18, 2020, 10:32 PM

Right next to Ted Williams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2020, 12:30 AM

Replies: 62
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic