Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Braves fans.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Braves fans.

Aug 3, 2019, 11:58 AM

This team is entertaining and with the recent addition of bullpen help, seems like it will win some games in post season play.

After these past few years, this is great to see some real progress. IMO, in order to take the next step forward and actually have a good chance at winning another World Series championship, they’ll need to upgrade at least 2 starting pitchers (possibly another bat).

My question is, do they currently have elite starting pitchers in their farm system that will be ready to produce at the top level within a year or would they have to sign free agents and make trades?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Braves fans.

Aug 3, 2019, 12:02 PM

Held onto the top guys during trades

Starting pitching shouldn’t be an issue next few years barring injury of course. Gausman needs to go however

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 3, 2019, 2:12 PM

Lostlocal said:

Held onto the top guys during trades

Starting pitching shouldn’t be an issue next few years barring injury of course. Gausman needs to go however

Don't think Gausy needs to go...

Except... to the bullpen...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 3, 2019, 3:12 PM

Don’t really want him in the bullpen either. His starts have been awful first inning.

Do we want him to come in and give up 3 real quick in the 7th, 8th or 9th? His control is lacking and last thing you need a closer to do is miss a corner for a homer when the games on the line

Aug 3, 2019, 2:19 PM

This team is entertaining and with the recent addition of bullpen help, seems like it will win some games in post season play.

After these past few years, this is great to see some real progress. IMO, in order to take the next step forward and actually have a good chance at winning another World Series championship, they’ll need to upgrade at least 2 starting pitchers (possibly another bat).

My question is, do they currently have elite starting pitchers in their farm system that will be ready to produce at the top level within a year or would they have to sign free agents and make trades?

Kyle Wright hasn't shown me anything...(funny.. He was unhittable when we faced him and Vandy years ago)...

Bryse Wilson has shown flashes when called up this year.. Probably needs another year or two of "seasoning"....

I’m in agreement so Wright and was surprised

Aug 3, 2019, 5:15 PM

at how he looked, although I guess hitters at that level can make you look awfully foolish.

Aug 3, 2019, 2:34 PM

It’s very tricky to say the least. I feel confident in Soroka, Kuechel, and Teheran as a 1-2-3 and see Fried as a solid 4. I don’t foresee them wasting too much more time on Gausman and move him to the bullpen. I think Folty will get another look in the rotation soon as well...I’m shooting for the September call ups when we will see Anderson and Muller up at the big league club. I think they’ll get some looks in September either in the bullpen or as a starter and maybe one of them will do well enough to stick.

Unfortunately right now you can almost count a loss coming every 5th day if Gausman is still being ran out there.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Aug 3, 2019, 2:37 PM

Remember Kyle Wright? They have him and I think Atl has another (1) more Top 10 minor league player, that is a pitcher.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wright has been really bad when I’ve watched

Aug 3, 2019, 5:18 PM

him pitch as a pro. Hopefully he turns it on soon.

Aug 3, 2019, 5:37 PM

Agreed. They have some promising young arms but the closest they have to an ace is Julio and he may be a bit past prime. They have the lumber. If they could get a starting pitcher rotation that was similar to Smoltz, Maddux and Glavine again they'd be unstoppable.

Glavine used to hate

Aug 3, 2019, 6:01 PM

The first inning.

Braves had four hits yesterday...

Keuchel is an ace...

Soroka is getting there...but playoff experience will tell the tale.

Teheran is having a great season.

Aug 3, 2019, 7:08 PM

Even through the pitching "hay days", only Glavin was a Braves draft pick. Smoltz was acquired in a trade from Detroit for Doyle Alexander and Greg Maddox was a free agent signee. I sure hope they can find a great one in their organization and get another from a trade or free agency.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 3, 2019, 7:52 PM

As I'm sure you know, their farm system is still deep and talented with pitching and position players. IMO, trade for or go the free agent route for a pitcher(doubtful they'd sign a free agent). Braves are in position to compete for the pennant for YEARS to come(obviously). No problem with approach at all.
P.S., I've been a Dodger fanatic for over 50 years! ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 3, 2019, 8:49 PM

With the recent trades the Braves made to improve their bull pen, I'm waiting for the Dodger series that starts 8/16. That should give everyone time to settle in and then we can gauge where the Braves are.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For those that are saying Julio is close to an ace or is having a great year

Aug 4, 2019, 2:49 AM

You're clearly not knowledgeable about peripherals and sabermetric statistics. The dude is working black magic out there to keep his ERA where it is.

He's average or below average in the stats that isolate the pitcher's performance. He walks way too many batters, doesn't get enough ground balls, and somehow has kept the ball in the park this year.

Has he been a serviceable starter? Absolutely! He's a solid back of the rotation pitcher, but when postseason rolls around, and he's one of your top three, your rotation is weak.

I'm hoping Folty has gotten his issues ironed out in triple-A. That's the power arm the Braves need to be able to roll out there to begin a postseason series.

From the look of things, he's on the right track. He's only given up 1 HR in 10 starts in the minors, and he was giving up four baggers like a virgin on her prom night at the MLB level.

If he comes back and pitches well, I'll be a lot more bullish on the Braves making some noise in the postseason.

Results don't lie....

Aug 4, 2019, 3:03 AM

And Sabremetrics never take the field. Players do.

Ok, the results are he's 6-7, and he can't pitch past the 6th.

Aug 4, 2019, 1:57 PM

He has a fastball that sits in the high 80s and control issues.

Those are not the qualities of a top of the rotation starter.

Re: For those that are saying Julio is close to an ace or is having a great year

Aug 4, 2019, 2:46 PM [ in reply to For those that are saying Julio is close to an ace or is having a great year ]

Not a Julio T fan at all. Seen him fall to pieces by the 5th, too many times. Seems like forever (since the fall from the Glavine/Smoltz Era) the Braves have tried to put him out there as the Ace and I have been waiting on a real Ace ever since. Foltzy was on his way but has taken a step or 2 back. A lot of young arms over the past 2 years and I believe we have a couple of guys in the organization that will step up, between those guys and the 2 "starting" pitchers in the farm. But not JT!

Camargo needs to go. No room for a .223 hitter. And he just pissed

Aug 4, 2019, 3:18 PM

Off Ozzie Albies by taking an infield fly from him - not calling for it.

Can we send down Flowers as well? At least Camargo can catch a ball.***

Aug 4, 2019, 3:27 PM

Good thought. Albies hits game tieing HR in 9th!!!***

Aug 4, 2019, 4:55 PM

It was Acuna who went oppo jack***

Aug 4, 2019, 4:57 PM

Yes: It was Acuna who went oppo jack***

Aug 4, 2019, 5:00 PM

Albies got single and stole 2nd and third. YES! Just need a hit or long fly ball.

Yes: It was Acuna who went oppo jack***

Aug 4, 2019, 5:01 PM [ in reply to It was Acuna who went oppo jack*** ]

Albies got single and stole 2nd and third. YES! Just need a hit or long fly ball.

Re: Yes: It was Acuna who went oppo jack***

Aug 4, 2019, 6:13 PM

Actually those weren't steals - 2 base throwing error by pitcher trying to pick him off 1st

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic