Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Crappy bowl games.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,812

Crappy bowl games.

Dec 22, 2019, 11:00 PM

It just hit me that we have an over abundance of crappy bowl games with crappy teams playing in them. The hilarious thing is that the Coots are too crappy to get into any of them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Crappy bowl games.

Dec 22, 2019, 11:09 PM

A lot of 6-6 and 7-5 teams playing in Bowls this year...the ACC alone has 6 teams combined that either finished the regular season at 6-6 or 7-5

Dec 23, 2019, 12:06 AM

Yeah. Just don’t watch’em. In my mind any football is better than no football.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2019, 7:29 AM

+1 cause I agree that anything that extends the CFB season is ok in my book. Lots of these games are pretty good to as the teams are usually evenly matched and you get to see matchups that you normally wouldn’t. +1 also to get you off that number ??

Dec 23, 2019, 12:51 PM

Ha! Thanks!

Bowl games were originally created for the players, as

Dec 23, 2019, 12:32 AM

Late as the early 1970’s they occurred after the final polls. The NCAA has never been involved or sanctioned the bowls, it wasn’t until recently that the NCAA even included the statistics from the games in official statistics. Even in the 1970’s most of the teams would spend more time at the beach or partying than practicing, it was a vacation for the players.

The bowl system is on life support today and will die a slow death.

Re: Bowl games were originally created for the players, as

Dec 23, 2019, 5:46 AM

That includes Clemson. I remember seeing the Tigers partying at the beach at Jacksonville after midnight and then sat and watched Syracuse and DM rip us to shreds the next day in a cold rain.

I like'em!

Dec 23, 2019, 7:24 AM [ in reply to Bowl games were originally created for the players, as ]

Not to disagree with you; but I see the value in them. Often 1 game can change the direction of a program and yearly that game is "a bowl game"!
As Clemson fans we have gotten spoiled with playoff bowl games "that matter"! But, I loved our game in 2014 against Oklahoma. That game gave the program new momentum and helped propel us to a 2015 National Title game appearance. A game we easily could have won BTW.

Some of the lower tier bowl games have their place among G5 teams who just getting to 10 wins is as good as it gets. I love to see the excitement in the fans and players who have put everything into trying to build something.

I get what you are saying. Rhettm is probably right about the slow death of bowl games; but I like them if for no other reason: "it's better than nothing"! Or better than watching water polo or table tennis on an obscure sports network!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I like'em!

Dec 23, 2019, 12:57 PM

The additional legal practices for the participants' underclassmen matter too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I like'em!

Dec 23, 2019, 1:08 PM

Good Point! The practices they are allowed are invaluable. Especially in the day and age of no two a days. Limited practice time. If you can throw in I believe it's 15 extra practices or something like that(don't quote me b/c not sure). It's a huge deal for the growth of your young players or older players who have never started.

Dec 23, 2019, 4:34 AM

The coots got an actual crap bowl!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty easy not to watch

Dec 23, 2019, 8:30 AM

But it’s a huge reward for a lot of these players especially at smaller schools that likely will never reach a conference championship game.

And if some of you think the bowl system is “dying a slow death” I have bad news for you. And spare me the players sitting out argument for why nobody watches bowls anymore (I promise you they do) because players that skip the bowl for the draft make up probably 1% of all players participating in bowl games.

Easy To Watch - w/Right Mindset!

Dec 23, 2019, 12:42 PM

But it’s a huge reward for a lot of these players especially at smaller schools that likely will never reach a conference championship game.

And if some of you think the bowl system is “dying a slow death” I have bad news for you. And spare me the players sitting out argument for why nobody watches bowls anymore (I promise you they do) because players that skip the bowl for the draft make up probably 1% of all players participating in bowl games.

True. The senior center who has zero chance of getting drafted or picking up a UDFA contract is playing in the bowl game. Same with the various other positions and any under class-men. You aren't seeing some of these teams at full strength - no. But, you are seeing the bulk of these teams. Heck, it wasn't sitting out, but Clemson played last years bowl game w/o 3 guys. 1 of which was "arguably" our most important defensive player! Still won. Other guys have to step up and often they do.

Again, it's better than watching curling(though I find myself strangely intrigued by curling and watch it often). Or table tennis tournaments or something. "It's football for a trophy"!

I keep the fact they playing for something in mind and am able to watch these games pretty easily. Or record them and watch later!

Crappy bowl games allow the ACC to have 10 bowl teams

Dec 23, 2019, 8:41 AM

Some folks seem to be very prideful if this. I guess a good.chamce for folks to get a good look at the Eastern Michigan and Temples of the world.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i don’t have an issue with them

Dec 23, 2019, 12:46 PM

They are there for the teams and people who want them and since they don’t mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, they are easy to ignore if you aren’t interested.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,812
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic