Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bowden Stands By Call, Not Having Davis on Field
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1,639

Sep 11, 2006, 10:58 PM

Bowden defended the call and felt he had the best personnel in the game near the goal line in the first overtime.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol... how dare anyone question the playcalling...

Sep 11, 2006, 11:23 PM

you are not a real fan...

:)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Excuse me? I don't go down to your work and tell you how to flip the burger!"

Well, I guess I'm the exception to the rule then, because

Sep 11, 2006, 11:35 PM

I'm a real fan and I think it was a bad call. I would rather see JD or Reggie get 4 cracks at picking up 3 yards.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree

Sep 12, 2006, 12:15 AM

There comes a time in football, when you have to know that you can line up and knock the other team off the ball and get a couple of yards. We had four shots at it if needed and we took ourselves out of that position on first down with a five yard loss.

They really never stopped JD and I thought the smart play was Davis between the tackles four times if need be.

Plenty of football left. Learn as much as you can this week youngsters on 'D'. We'll need a great effort this week in Tally.

Go TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

check your meters guys... lol***

Sep 12, 2006, 1:06 AM

My meter is fine, but yours seems to be malfunctioning ****

Sep 13, 2006, 12:19 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...especially when BC knows it's coming!***

Sep 12, 2006, 8:08 AM [ in reply to Well, I guess I'm the exception to the rule then, because ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

Someone above really hates us right now.***

Sep 11, 2006, 11:23 PM

Nope...

Sep 11, 2006, 11:25 PM

just our defense.

Re: Nope...

Sep 12, 2006, 12:20 AM

As soon as they lined up in the formation I knew what they play was going to be. haha and apparently so did BC. I am sorry you can't run the same freaking play back to back like that. in the same position on the field, in the same direction. EVERYTHING the exact same except the man with the ball that is.

That play had no chance of success no matter if the O-Line had held their blocks. The entire defensive backfield immediately attacked that side of the line as soon as the ball was snapped. If it had been a designed QB boot to the left or a pass to the TE on the left the closest person to the ball would have been the fans in the stands at the back of the endzone.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bowden Stands By Call, Not Having Davis on Field

Sep 12, 2006, 5:56 AM

Run the ball up the middle 3 times and go home with a win, period.......

I totally agree. Is that you Danny?

Sep 12, 2006, 11:21 AM

Two dive plays up the middle, and if still not in, option to the corner.

Bowden, could you at least once admit that you made a dumb

Sep 12, 2006, 7:46 AM

call that essentially cost us the game? It is obvious to everyone. I don't mind making mistakes once in a while. But defending obvious mistakes and not learning from them is unforgivable.

(flame away)

Wait a minute, if the play would have worked then all of....

Sep 12, 2006, 8:57 AM

us on here would be saying how brilliant of a play call that was. After all, they were expecting it straight up the gut and we did not go there. The same guys saying we should have went straight up the middle with JD or RM 3 times would be fussing about it if we would have been stopped. I am with you guys as far as I think we should have ran it straight at them with stronger backs, but he gets paid to make the tough decisions, and we have the luxury of sitting back and discussing it after it is all over. I guess what I am saying is 1. If we would have ran it up the gutt 3 times and it did not work would you be on here saying good call coach, you made the right call? and 2. That is last week and this week we are going to Tally to beat the noles, so enough about that, and GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TIGERS

If we had scored, happy yes...correct call no.

Sep 12, 2006, 11:27 AM

Smart money is on two dives and option outsie on 3rd if needed. If BC was expecting dive up the middle, why was outside so well defended. No slam on Tommy, but that was a mistake just like I made in my business career. Admit it and learn. One of our more successful coaches blamed himself and he won big.

Uhh, they obviously weren't expecting it up the middle since

Sep 12, 2006, 1:50 PM [ in reply to Wait a minute, if the play would have worked then all of.... ]

they snuffed the sweep out so well. At least if we run it up the middle, we don't lose any yards. If we run it up the middle 3 times and don't get a TD and have to settle for 3, I'm saying smart call and I guess our O-line is not as good as everyone says it is.

They knew we weren't going up the middle with Spiller.

Sep 12, 2006, 3:30 PM

They defense was at the sidelines before Spiller was. Of course, they were expecting it. We ran the exact same play on 3rd down for a TD!!!

Bowden needs to man up and admit this mistake. This reminds me of the time Bowden refused to admit that his punt coverage was a joke even after we got blocked game after game after game. I'm tired of making the same type of mistakes over and over again every season...we will never improve that way.

No

Sep 12, 2006, 4:24 PM [ in reply to Wait a minute, if the play would have worked then all of.... ]

Had that play worked, I would have done cartwheels around my apartment because we won. But as soon as I came down from the postgame high, I would have said, "What in the hell was that play? Is he crazy?" Just because it had a chance to work doesn't mean it was a good play to call. Why not line up behind our all-world offensive line? Why not give it to our boy in overtime, Mr. Reggie Meriweather (you do remember the Miami game in '04)?

You can't flame the truth!***

Sep 12, 2006, 8:58 AM [ in reply to Bowden, could you at least once admit that you made a dumb ]

Re: Bowden Stands By Call, Not Having Davis on Field

Sep 12, 2006, 11:58 AM

Who is the special team coach. Why was Spence not calling the play on the 3 yard line?

My understanding is that Bowden lets Spence make most all

Sep 12, 2006, 12:02 PM

the calls. This was a big one so he probably had input.

Well it makes me feel a little better that it was from the 3

Sep 12, 2006, 12:00 PM

There is a big difference in the 2 and the 3 on 1st down. If we had lined up in the I-formation they would have been ready for that too. What if we get stuffed on first down for no gain or a loss of 1. Same applies for 2nd down. Then we still have between 3rd and 2-4 yards to go. What do we do then. It would then be obvious that we would want to try to go outside and they would snuff that play out too. I have seen teams get stopped on the goal line many times.

Furthermore, James Davis did have a great game rushing and I think he or Reggie should have been in there too, but it is a lot easier to rush up the middle when you are not on the 3. Formations become obvious. All that said, I put Reggie, with the least possible obvious formation, in there and go up the middle for atleast 1st and second.

Wow, Bowden must not be as smart as I thought if he can't

Sep 12, 2006, 1:15 PM

admit, at least now, that it was a bad call. Where is his argument? We lost 4 yards and did not get a touchdown. Exactly WHY do you think it was still the right call?! This just tells me that he is not willing to learn from their mistakes. Those that aren't willing to learn from their mistakes are doomed to repeat them.

Spence made the call !!

Sep 12, 2006, 5:23 PM

Either way people can say, "they were expecting it up the middle" or "We should have had JD in the game", Has any one thought to think that since Proctor is so mobile and that he had done the best at the QB position ive seen in long time, that we should have maybe let him run to the corner if anything pound it once then try Proctor, either way we lost point blank, our Tigers will I repeat will redeem themselves Saturday, watch !!!!!

I've thought about this and it was the right personel

Sep 13, 2006, 9:08 AM

for that play. But it was the wrong play call. Yes, Spiller probably should be in on a sweep or a speed play to the outside. But the goal line isn't a place to run that play. And you surely don't run it to the short side.

Man up Bowden and play football like its supposed to be played. Let your linemen put a hand in the dirt and just freakin blow someone off the ball. Quit being so blasted cute with the play calling.

Re: I've thought about this and it was the right personel

Sep 13, 2006, 5:49 PM

There is not doubt you run James or Reggie off tackle in that situation. That is one of many situations that cost us the game. Of course the play before it was a great call. We are never in OT if the kickoff coverage team does there job.
Still have a chance at a nice season. Even if we lose to FSU we can come back and finish 9-3 or 8-4.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1,639
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic