Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bottom line: we didn’t play well yesterday.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Bottom line: we didn’t play well yesterday.

Oct 25, 2020, 11:24 AM

My definition of playing well is based on our superior level of talent, coaching, and resources.

Of course we still won, by a lot.

Of course a lot of teams would love to play poorly and win by 26.

Yes, winning is hard and half of the teams lost yesterday.

But we aren’t those teams. We are Clemson. We are the #1 team in the land and arguably the best program in the country.

Let’s not go Tommy Bowden and start trying to make chicken salad from chicken crap.

It’s okay to point out that we didn’t play well based on our standard yesterday. That standard is one set by our head coach, Dabo Swinney. When fans correctly point out that we didn’t play to that standard, it doesn’t mean they are ungrateful or spoiled.

It’s okay to call a spade a spade. I’m confident our team will rebound and use this for good.

Go Tigers!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Bottom line: we didn’t play well yesterday.

Oct 25, 2020, 11:29 AM

I hated the CTB era because on this board it was always if this one lost if that one got upset etc we could back into something because there was never a guarantee we could man up and win games we should. We are past that as we won comfortably even not playing real great. But it is concerning to watch us mess around and let a team we can beat hang close. One day that will bite you if you do it enough

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How would you know Judge? You were sitting in an

Oct 25, 2020, 11:30 AM

Empty dome!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How would you know Judge? You were sitting in an

Oct 25, 2020, 11:33 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Oct 25, 2020, 11:39 AM

We had a pick 6 and a blocked punt (played poorly) and still won by 4 possessions. I’m so glad we’re thus good.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They have a big screen in the dome yesterday? Was it hot?

Oct 25, 2020, 11:42 AM

:)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Any honest discussion of yesterday's game must acknowledge

Oct 25, 2020, 11:46 AM

the fact that we did not play well, or at least did not play like the best team in the country, for most of the game yesterday. That's not whining or beotching, it's just honest, understandable frustration. Having said that, let's not go off the rails here, let's keep things in perspective. We played lazy and with a lack of intensity and still won by 4 TDs. The game was never in question. We showed some flaws and weaknesses, but we are still with loaded some of the most ridiculously talented players in the country, and we unquestionably have one of the best coaching staffs in the country. We are still right on track, nothing has changed. Whether it was 81 under Danny Ford, or 2016 or 2018 under Dabo, we have yet to win a National Championship in a year where we played every game flawlessly and steamrolled every opponnent. I see no reason this year should be any different.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I thought we played like a Championship team!***

Oct 25, 2020, 11:52 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A lot of teams did.***

Oct 25, 2020, 12:06 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Any honest discussion of yesterday's game must acknowledge

Oct 25, 2020, 12:53 PM [ in reply to Any honest discussion of yesterday's game must acknowledge ]

Since I was a football manager here is my two cents worth. We were 47 point favorites to a team that lost to Liberty. We are # 1 so every team is going to try to knock us off (ever play King of the Hill?) These 18-22 year olds listen to sports too and hear how good they are. Probably most of them felt like all we had to do is show up. Saw it a lot of times. Syracuse stacked the box to stop the run.You have 5 O-Linemen they can't block 6 or 7. Doubt many teams are gonna play us straight up. They took their chances on passing game - Like Frank Howard used to say there are 3 things that can happen when you pass and 2 of them are bad. Trevor was a little off yesterday plus we only have one really consistent home run threat -Rogers who is 5'10" not 6'4". Some of these other guys need to step up and learn to fight for the ball. Then the other teams will have to do something different which opens up the run game. I bet practice is intense this week.

Oct 25, 2020, 12:25 PM

We had a few 1st team key players out yesterday. We are young team. A lot of players got experience. Had a few 1st team key make unusual bad mistakes. pick six.

We were do a not so good game but we still won big!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2020, 12:29 PM

One of the characteristics of greatness is the ability to win without your best stuff. Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods come to mind. Nobody has their best stuff all the time-especially a bunch of 18-22 year olds so be grateful for the win. Many of us are old enough to remember when Clemson very well might have found a way to lose that game Saturday instead of winning by four touchdowns.

Oct 25, 2020, 12:31 PM

You hit almost everything "right on" except one.
You can no longer call a spade a spade. It is "politically incorrect".

I wouldn’t lop defense into that bucket

Oct 25, 2020, 12:33 PM

D was strong like bull except 2-3 plays

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2020, 12:39 PM

I agree. I do have concerns about the combination of mediocrity on the o line and no wr stepping up to help Amari. It seems that yesterday you should have been able to either go deep or run the ball.

top notch analysis.***

Oct 25, 2020, 1:55 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic