Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bothers me when many in a Society see nothing wrong with 11 of 12 balls being under inflated..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

Bothers me when many in a Society see nothing wrong with 11 of 12 balls being under inflated..

Jan 22, 2015, 9:46 AM

And give this OR that reason why it's meaningless OR who cares OR whatever..and even laugh over it.

Rules are rules, and laws are laws.. and our Society (especially in USA) exists & functions peacefully upon having rules & laws.

Saying...we teach our Kids to live by the laws of the land OR by God's Laws..and as grown-ups we now say it's doesn't matter that one party (NE) can play the 1st half with 11 of 12 balls under inflated (which "might" aid in their throwing OR catching it easier or better).. while the other party (IC) should not complain that there's been a breach of the agreed upon Standard.

Our Kids see this lackness of standing up for the moral right and living within a framework of honesty & truth...and thus they might see it's OK to bend the rules in their favor..and as such Society drops another step in its morality & morals.

People have to say "enough"! 11 of 12 balls didn't Just deflate themselves for one team and not the other..no matter whether it can be proved that this helped one and hurt the other.

What say YOU?

GoTiGERS...beat em but do it with integrity!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's cheating PERIOD, but

Jan 22, 2015, 9:49 AM

if you watched that game, the underinflated balls had absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of that game.

The Colts got absolutely dominated on both lines of scrimmage

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: It's cheating PERIOD, but

Jan 22, 2015, 9:56 AM

But it's still cheating

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Indeed it is and I am not condoning it.

Jan 22, 2015, 10:07 AM

particularly by a team that is no stranger to on-the-field scandals (using illegal formations, illegaly videotaping opponents signals, the 82 snowplow incident, and now deflate-gate).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Bothers me when many in a Society see nothing wrong with 11 of 12 balls being under inflated..

Jan 22, 2015, 9:52 AM

I dont think that its the fact that people dont see a wrong in it...I really think people just dont care...me included...ESPN is either covering Urban Meyer, anything they find negative on Lebron, SEC, and the deflated football incident...You would think they would be covering the Tom Brady vs Seattle Secondary matchup being its the fckn SUPER BOWL is a little more than a week away...

Message was edited by: jsebe10®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Re: Just some more ESPN bull that does not amount to an iota***

Jan 22, 2015, 9:55 AM

Proof! Read poster's #1 & #2 remarks & see the "who cares" attitude.

Jan 22, 2015, 10:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Bothers me when many in a Society see nothing wrong with 11 of 12 balls being under inflated.. ]

1st poster after mine basically says Colts got blown out whether balls flat or or not. TRUE, but ball inflation rules or standards may have been violated that may have helped this blow-out..which is Wrong!

2nd poster basically saids there's more important news...which I concur..But something very bad has gone down and should be answered...imo.

GoTiGERS...be true to yourselves and beat em fair & square!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bothers me when many in a Society see nothing wrong with 11 of 12 balls being under inflated..

Jan 22, 2015, 9:53 AM

theisman, Doug Williams, etc. said they could not tell whether a ball was deflated or not. said that this is way overblown. I agree. balls are oiled, scuffed, etc. weekly for teams. it's really not a big deal - it's just the pats and they are always singled out due to their own rep. pats always screw up. after half, with inflated balls, pats out scored colts 28-0. there's a lot that goes on in nfl. pats just get noticed more than others. btw, not a pats fan. but, I get where you're coming from.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Mark Brunell picked out

Jan 22, 2015, 10:03 AM

an underinflated ball after just one throw yesterday - he could feel the difference in just a few seconds. Said QBs could grip and throw more accurately and farther. Also said it was easier to catch and easier for RBs to hold onto.

19 year QB vet. I put a lot of stock in what he says

Doesn't prove that the Pats did it on purpose but it does prove that it would create and advantage outside the rules.

NFL should control the balls and require both teams to play with the same "equipment". Then this never comes up.

Re: They should have let Old Gaylord throw his spitballs.

Jan 22, 2015, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Re: Bothers me when many in a Society see nothing wrong with 11 of 12 balls being under inflated.. ]

They never could prove it . He threw them before the ump could inspect them.

They should probably let a QB...

Jan 22, 2015, 10:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Bothers me when many in a Society see nothing wrong with 11 of 12 balls being under inflated.. ]

who has played in the last 25-30 years comment on the issue.

Jan 22, 2015, 9:53 AM

I agree with you and that the rules are the rules ... but I honestly don't think this is a rule issue. Air pressure will decrease due to cold weather conditions. So if they were inflated to 12.5 (the minimum level), any decrease will cause them to become non-compliant. Now whether or not the ball handlers knew that this would happen is a different story. Conspiracy? Who knows.

I'm guessing this occurs more often than not when games are played in cold weather conditions.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Trying to create an advantage

Jan 22, 2015, 9:55 AM

by breaking the rules is the point. Made no difference in the outcome of the game but NE has a history of stepping outside the boundaries.

If it is proven that NS did this then it was cheating, outside the rules, and they should pay the consequences.

If the speed limit is 55 MPH and I drive 60 MPH then I'm breaking the law and I pay consequences if I get caught. Simple.

Exactly...

Jan 22, 2015, 10:33 AM

the intent to cheat is there and they will be penalized accordingly. Considering just how any times the Pats have intended to cheat for their advantage...the league needs to come down hard on them.

Banned from the upcoming draft entirely, lose 5 roster spots next season, eliminate some off season workouts, etc. Fining is worthless in the NFL, especially fining the organiztion or someone like Belicheck or Brady.

Re: Exactly...

Jan 22, 2015, 2:06 PM

talk about an over reaction

Jan 22, 2015, 9:58 AM

Saw a small part of Belicheck's news conference on TV just now. $250K fine for Patriots, $500K fine for the coach, they lose one draft pick. There may be more but I'm at work and walked by a TV in the front and say this. It may still be on now.

Jan 22, 2015, 10:05 AM

Oh my dear god...are they really calling it "Deflategate" now?

GOOOOODDDDDDD I hate ESPN!! I need some chewing tobacco

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

i didn't know Society made a decision on it....I would

Jan 22, 2015, 10:04 AM

hardly rank talking head sportscasters as society but hey whatever floats your boat.

People who say deflating the balls, if it was done,

Jan 22, 2015, 10:07 AM

had no impact on the result of the game are missing the point IMHO. Purposely breaking the rules is not something that should be tolerated, period.
If I get falling down drunk and start out to drive home and then a deer jumps in front of me and causes me to crash, should the responding officers ignore the fact that I was driving drunk? It didn't cause the wreck. The deer did.
The deflated balls didn't cause the Colts to lose, so the cheating is okay?......NO!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2015, 10:08 AM

Couldn't agree more, LBB. Cheating is cheating - period, and the perpetrators should be punished even if it would not alter the outcome of the game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2015, 10:18 AM

They did it on suppose. That's why one ball was left normal. In case someone wanted to check one. Air pressure will not change in a ball from when the refs check the balls till halftime. They will lose draft picks and they should.

Jan 22, 2015, 10:50 AM

The Cain and Able lesson and the fundamentally flawed nature of people bothers me. Football pressure? Not so much.

Harley

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe the NFL should have given harsher penalties when NE

Jan 22, 2015, 11:03 AM

cheated in the past. I agree with LBB, it's not about the eventual outcome of the game, it's the intent to cheat and the fact that they broke the rules that matters. Hopefully, it will give the NFL incentive to have the officials check the footballs periodically throughout the game.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I understand where you're coming from, but think you're

Jan 22, 2015, 11:23 AM

making way too much of this. Cheating/pushing the envelope/trying to gain an advantage/bending the rules/whatever... has always been a part of sports. Pitchers scuffing a baseball or trying to put a little spit on it or hiding a little vaseline in their cap. Too much tar on the bat. Home field grounds crew watering down the dirt because the opposing team likes to steal. Raiders DB Lester Hayes taking a bath in Stickum. A cold weather team not providing heated benches on the opponent's sideline.

You could go on forever...

"When Marty Schottenheimer coached the Cleveland Browns in the late 1980s, he routinely sent a scout to watch the signals opposing teams used to relay messages from coaches to players. When the scout returned, Schottenheimer's staff would watch the game film and match the signals to the plays that followed."

"Will Wolford, an offensive lineman who played 13 years in the NFL, once bragged on a radio show that a police officer gave him Kevlar that he used to line the padded gloves he wore in games."

"I can remember when defensive linemen taped hockey pucks and ashtrays to their hands to use in a head slap," said Raymond Chester, a former tight end with the Colts and Raiders.

"When Herm Edwards started his career as a Philadelphia Eagles cornerback in 1977, coaches warned players to watch their playbooks during walk-through sessions in opposing stadiums. Things had a way of disappearing back in those days."

Things like this have been going on forever, and always will. Letting a little air out of ball is nothing. It's telling that the NFL players themselves aren't making a big deal about this... just the butthurt fans whose favorite team has a hard time beating the Patriots.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

you're all over the place with this. doctor the ball or bat

Jan 22, 2015, 11:26 AM

in baseball will get you thrown out.

many of those things that did happen, see lester are no longer "OK".

do i think tom brady should be thrown out? no, but let's not say it's ok to doctor the balls because there is a reason the rules are in place.

if it doesn't matter, then why "bend the rule"? well, because it does.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I know... but listening and reading the last couple

Jan 22, 2015, 11:44 AM

days, people are talking about this massive cheating scandal, like it's the worst thing ever. Oh, we need a huge investigation by the NFL, Belichick should be suspended, the win is "tainted", we need big fines and lost draft picks, and Tom Brady should hung by the neck until dead. OK, I made that last one up.

And now I'm sitting here reading about the demise of western civilization as we know it, a lawless society, no less. Why, surely we are all headed for ruin and damnation. LOL

I mean. Really?

i agree dsotm. it's probably a 10+ mph over the posted

Jan 22, 2015, 11:58 AM

speeding ticket... there are degrees.

i think most are passionate about the ideal that play on the field and nothing else should determine the outcome, which drives the zero tolerance thinking.

personally, i'd rather the passion fall on that side of things than on the side of "all's fair in love and war"; at least when we're talking about the competition involved in sporting events.

bobby jones calling a rules infraction on himself. that's great stuff and i'd hope the integrity of the game is greater than any individual or team, but again. i understand some things are not hanging offenses.

on the plus side, if it is the end of modern or western civilization, there are some things i will not miss.

;)

have a great one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. And there is such a simple fix. Just let the refs

Jan 22, 2015, 12:28 PM

control the balls. End of story. Why are the teams even allowed to have their own balls anyway? There should be one set of balls that both teams use, and only NFL officials ever touch them. They maintain them securely on the sidelines and rotate them in/out of the game as needed. You don't have different sets of balls in other sports that the teams control. Otherwise, pitchers would bring in their own special baseballs, etc.

Kind of like telling a lie. Everyone does it, so it's okay

Jan 22, 2015, 11:31 AM [ in reply to I understand where you're coming from, but think you're ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kind of like telling a lie. Everyone does it, so it's okay

Jan 22, 2015, 11:47 AM

Yeah, kinda like that. Or sorta like everybody reading this right now at work, and then getting paid for 40 hours. There's some people on this forum who spend more time posting on TigerNet than doing their job. The ones with thousands and thousands of posts.

LOL touché

Jan 22, 2015, 11:55 AM

40 hours? haha, come on dsotm. maybe when i was in hs.

Jan 22, 2015, 12:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Kind of like telling a lie. Everyone does it, so it's okay ]

i can't remember anyone from the strat-team sending me a scalding email for delivering a 2am regional market summation, loan facilitation request or national update over a weekend.

my office hours are 24/7. it's good to be king.

same here... have worked from home for years and enjoy

Jan 22, 2015, 1:11 PM

a "flexible schedule". Translated: I put in a lot more hours than anybody at the office. Wake up at 6, start a pot of coffee and have a smoke while the computer boots up, and I'm working 10 mins later... two hours before anybody gets in the office. And if I'm not careful, I'll still be working long after the office folks have shut down and headed home. But it is nice to be able to run a couple errands during the day and not worry about it...

Jan 22, 2015, 11:30 AM

sure agree!! and the millions that think it is a great idea to take from those that WORK what they WORKED for and give this to those that REFUSE TO WORK!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2015, 12:22 PM

I agree. I was listening to 105.5 this morning, and Dutch said that there was "an acceptable level of cheating in professional sports" that people just accept as being okay. That comment, to me, is ridiculous. Rules are there for a reason; if you intentionally break them, you cheated. End of discussion.

Jan 22, 2015, 12:30 PM

I think you are right. For many people, it is far easier to ignore, deny, or rationalize this type of behavior, than to do something about it. The same applies to much of the nonsense we see in politics.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

"If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'"***

Jan 22, 2015, 1:17 PM

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

I say lighten up....its a football game

Jan 22, 2015, 1:25 PM

Plus its a great lesson.

Life isn't fair so learn to deal with it.

We all still speed despite the risk of an accident or ticket

Jan 22, 2015, 1:35 PM

It seems like the payoff of getting to a super bowl is worth it if the punishment is only a $25,000 fine.

Jan 22, 2015, 1:53 PM

I guess I thought the league provided balls just to keep stuff like this to a minimum. Has no idea teams brought ball. Sounds like some equipment guy will take the fall for this

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2015, 2:00 PM

you are talking about the amount of air in a football..... Why should we care? that's the problem to many people care to much about a game!
By the way it has not been proven that NE deflated the balls. plus they were corrected in the 2nd half and that's when they scored the bulk of the points.

Jan 22, 2015, 4:43 PM

I agree with you. This is just a picture of base levels of thought in society today. In the minds of many, rules do not largely matter because truth is not absolute and rules/law is only applicable to someone if it is in their "felt" best interest.

Right is right and wrong is wrong. Rules are to be followed. And thankfully in this country there is a system (and yes I know that it is flawed) that allows people and groups the opportunity to alter legislation when necessary. The Patriots are obviously guilty of breaking the rules, we do however need to remember they should be punished under the rules of that same system.

Bothers me when you are able to write so much in the subject line

Jan 22, 2015, 4:57 PM

For Serius... How'd u do that?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bothers me when you are able to write so much in the subject line

Jan 22, 2015, 6:52 PM

>>> For Serius... How'd u do that?

He cheated.

just kidding... lightbulb is a good joe, got no beef with the man.

Jan 22, 2015, 7:08 PM

yes i am sure many down here found a ton of things wrong when people were being disenfranchised down here under the jim crow laws.

Get off your high horse, you only care if it is cheating when it goes against your own socio-political beliefs.

Jan 23, 2015, 11:13 AM

I'm with you... Personally I find the fact that the Pats cheated to be something easily addressable... Punish them. What disappoints me more is all the air time given to belittling the act. Every talking head I turned on yesterday took the opportunity to say how insignificant this was. To me this was just another example of the ethical fiber of the mainstream media or dare I say lack ther of. These idiots have a strong hold on the most powerful pulpit of the world and they use it daily to convince us that character and virtue hold little value in the world. We can hold the cheaters responsible but when do we start looking at the media for some accountability?

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic