Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Both the Big 12 and ACC are meeting to discuss expansion
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 4,909

Both the Big 12 and ACC are meeting to discuss expansion

Jun 23, 2012, 2:21 PM

this weekend according to crazy rumors.

Let's say the ACC invites Notre Dame and they accept to join as a partial beginning in 2013 with football joining in 2015, and uses that as incentive to keep Clemson and FSU in the fold.

At the same time, the Big 12 votes and extends an invitation to both Clemson and FSU.

What would we do, presented with those two options?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Both the Big 12 and ACC are meeting to discuss expansion

Jun 23, 2012, 2:26 PM

Stay.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2012, 2:30 PM

Whos the 16th team if we stay ?

To be decided at a later date.***

Jun 23, 2012, 2:32 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Penn State***

Jun 23, 2012, 2:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Both the Big 12 and ACC are meeting to discuss expansion ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Penn State***

Jun 23, 2012, 3:40 PM

I don't understand why people keep saying Penn St. Why the hell would they leave for less money, from a conference where they have natural rivals. Plus they have all of their research money as part of the Big 10. It is ridiculous to think that PSU is leaving

Don't forget, they have some serious negative press

Jun 23, 2012, 4:29 PM

right now.

Pitt Is One

Jun 24, 2012, 12:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Penn State*** ]

of PSU's natural rivals. That so, I doubt they would come to ACC.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd guess Navy just to please ND.***

Jun 23, 2012, 2:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Both the Big 12 and ACC are meeting to discuss expansion ]

They'd be my choice, if I had one, which I don't. They'd

Jun 23, 2012, 3:34 PM

complement the league well. Better than Rutgers or UConn.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes..my vote is Navy!..It's nice to dream****

Jun 23, 2012, 7:13 PM [ in reply to I'd guess Navy just to please ND.*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'd guess Navy just to please ND.***

Jun 24, 2012, 5:33 AM [ in reply to I'd guess Navy just to please ND.*** ]

i love the service academies,but only 1 option team a year,please. (we already play gt)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2012, 2:33 PM

Scenario 1 leaves Clemson with LESS money from the conference until/if a renegotiation of contract happens IF ND ever really joins as a football member. A lot of ifs. Remember adding another member requires splitting existing money with 1 more team resulting in less money. Why would Notre Dame ever agree to that to begin with?

Scenario 2 will gain Clemson 6-9 million within a year and entrance into a FOOTBALL first conference.

Easy choice

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Renegotiation would happen before any games were played.

Jun 23, 2012, 2:41 PM

ND would get no $$$ until a new contract was in place and they were playing the games they were contracted(FB,BB &BASEball).

Do you think Pit & Cuse are getting paid this year ? No not until they are IN the conference.

Re: Renegotiation would happen before any games were played.

Jun 23, 2012, 3:23 PM

Renegotiation depends on ND being locked into the NCAA contract for 3 more years and ESPN being willing to open up negotiation into the ACC contract....so would ESPN reneg. A contract that was just signed just bc we add ND Olympic sports?

Regardless, it's not a financial benefit for CU and FSU anytime soon. Doubt it would ever rise to the 22-26 mill a year the if XII can provide.

22-26 mill a year the if XII can provide?

Jun 23, 2012, 3:29 PM

I love how people pull numbers out of thin air just to back up their theories. H3ll they're only paying $20 mill this year using exit fee money from 4 teams that have flown the coup.

Jun 23, 2012, 2:35 PM

Might I add that the ONLY source of this supposed ACC meeting was a WVU message board. I am EXTREMELY skeptical.

Re: Is that York's source?***

Jun 23, 2012, 3:28 PM

Re: To be decided at a later date.***

Jun 23, 2012, 2:37 PM

Leave.

Jun 23, 2012, 2:39 PM

Hahaha b$g 10 is loaded why would they leave

Rumor aka Sources say...

Jun 23, 2012, 2:45 PM

Penn State is not happy with the B10 for a smorgasbord of reasons

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They'll be fighting lawsuits for the next 20 years.

Jun 23, 2012, 3:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Penn State*** ]

Don't need them around the ACC.

Jun 23, 2012, 3:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Penn State*** ]

Penn St is not leaving

Re: LEAVE!!!!***

Jun 23, 2012, 2:39 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2012, 2:40 PM

depends on how many Coots are arrested at five points!

Jun 23, 2012, 2:55 PM

If the ACC could add Notre Dame(full member after 2015 & Penn State, have North-South divisions, fire Swofford, and re-negotiate the TV contract I would be very much in favor of Clemson staying.

Swofford is going to be hailed as a genius and a savior

Jun 23, 2012, 3:00 PM

if he holds the ACC together through all of this and he will be the ACC commish as long as he wants to be; so go ahead and scratch that one off the list.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: I think you are right.***

Jun 23, 2012, 3:30 PM

Re: Stay***

Jun 23, 2012, 3:26 PM

Jun 23, 2012, 3:37 PM

i am sure that fsu and maybe clemson have given swoffie
not leaving orders to get nd and someone else to agree
to move to acc and there is certainly a set time not later
than maybe 7/1 ish. Of course if nd joins big12 then things move quickly.

It is about the $$$$

fsu clemson can not afford to stay unless ND joins !

should be a bonus for wining each division and champ
3 mil division 2 mil extra to champion.

NC gets $10 mil extra.

Rewarding Div and Conf champ is a good idea.

Jun 23, 2012, 4:36 PM

But unless it is done in all major sports, Tobacco Road will not agree.... can you see Duke agreeing to that for football only?

Re: Rewarding Div and Conf champ is a good idea.

Jun 23, 2012, 5:15 PM

Very true.

How much would ND add re: TV revenue for each ACC school?

Jun 23, 2012, 4:40 PM

They only get $15 million per year from NBC.

Considering when that deal was cut it's more like $25 Mil in

Jun 23, 2012, 4:50 PM

today's market, if not more.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, we are talking about $2 million/school bringing us up to

Jun 23, 2012, 4:53 PM

$19 million/school/annually. Let's realize THAT would not be a game changer.

It would be in the $25-30M range...

Jun 23, 2012, 6:06 PM

If ND were to join easily.

Pretty sure ND's deal with NBC is 1st tier rights only, and

Jun 23, 2012, 6:58 PM [ in reply to So, we are talking about $2 million/school bringing us up to ]

it's just for home or neutral site games. Their media value is significantly higher when 3/4 of their schedule is included, plus their OOC home games - the whole ND package. Add in the promotional interest of ND playing games for a division title and the value expands. That last point primarily is why ND, beyond access to the post-season series, is interested in joining a league.

The commissioners just submitted an agreement to...

Jun 23, 2012, 4:49 PM

the university oversight committee. Everyone has a conference meeting scheduled between last Wednesday and the UOC meeting next week to try and sell the proposal to the schools. If UOC approves a plan it's a done deal. If they make changes it goes back to the Commissioners.

The rumors are just opportunists selling web space.

Nobody is going to make a move until after the University Oversight Committee adopts a playoff format and they've had time to evaluate what is best for their individual schools.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The commissioners just submitted an agreement to...

Jun 23, 2012, 4:59 PM

Best bet for 16 would be Louisville. Solid in all 3. Way better than unconnected IMO

Re: The commissioners just submitted an agreement to...

Jun 23, 2012, 4:59 PM

Meant uconn

Jun 23, 2012, 5:07 PM

Anyone who thinks PSU would leave the B1G for the ACC is smoking crack. It's never gonna happen.

Look, I'd love them to be in the ACC. I've got several inlaws who went to PSU, but it's never going to happen. You might as well talk about UGA coming to the ACC while you are at it.

-ZA

Jun 23, 2012, 5:13 PM

I have no desire for penn st. Their football program will take ten years before recovering from this scandal. If not more

there is no way ND comes to the ACC....no way

Jun 23, 2012, 5:17 PM

and it satisfies Clemson and FSU. The only way you get ND to come is to offer them a deal that's different from the rest of the conference. If you wouldn't listen to Clemson/FSU on the bowl allocation money, the 9 game conf schedule, etc why are you going to allow ND special terms?

ND has a seat at the BCS table to dictate terms. They got the deal they wanted that didn't include conf champions. There is no need for them to join a conference now. They can use the ACC/Big12 for leverage with their tv deal with NBC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't see how ND brings a significantly better tv contract

Jun 23, 2012, 5:54 PM

in the first place, and if by some chance it does, I don't see how it benefits us for a few years at least as they will almost certainly join as a partial, non-football member until 2015. Plus, if they get any kind of unequal (bigger) share of anything, then that would only be more reason for us and FSU to leave.

- H. L. Mencken

They bring a better TV contract because they bring eyeballs

Jun 23, 2012, 6:01 PM

to the TV screen. They are polarizing...you either hate them or love them. Kinda like the Cowboys. People who hate the Cowboys watch them just to watch them lose.

Agree, as much as it would help solidify the ACC...

Jun 23, 2012, 6:12 PM [ in reply to there is no way ND comes to the ACC....no way ]

it just ain't gonna happen. Giving them the concession they want would destroy the conference.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stay!!!***

Jun 23, 2012, 5:31 PM

Replies: 46
| visibility 4,909
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic