Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Ten to Watch: Film study sets Jayron Kearse apart
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

New Story: Ten to Watch: Film study sets Jayron Kearse apart

Jul 8, 2014, 8:14 AM

Ten to Watch: Film study sets Jayron Kearse apart

If the Clemson defense is to be as good as expected in 2014, safety Jayron Kearse will have to play a big role. Kearse came on at the end of last season and finished fifth in the ACC despite starting just three games. What sets him apart from other players? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Ten to Watch: Film study sets Jayron Kearse apart

Jul 8, 2014, 8:25 AM

Very exciting to watch, and he got better every week, IMO. Granted, he was young and made a few mistakes, I'm sure, but he is a gifted athlete his height and speed make him a very dangerous threat to opponents. I predict many, many more great things from him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2014, 5:39 PM

This year DL will make Kearse look like a season all american. His opportunties will be greater and his assignments will seen alot simplier because of this year DL play. He should be prepared to take full advantage of what he will have in front of him. There won't be to many other, if not, no other safeties in D1 football blessed with this kind of talent up front. A Golden Opportunity To Shine.

Jul 8, 2014, 7:22 PM

I agree with the DL being a huge asset this year. I think all our secondary will have a much better opportunity to shine, and I can't wait to see Alexander. Our D should be scary good, and I like it. I just hope our OL improves as much as I think they will. If so, this year is headed for greatness.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With experience and more film, the mistakes will lessen

Jul 8, 2014, 7:26 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Ten to Watch: Film study sets Jayron Kearse apart ]

and the big plays will increase. Looking forward to watching this kid as he develops.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Jul 8, 2014, 8:40 AM

JK has been a game-changer for a while now. Yeh - he makes some rookie mistakes, but the man can change a game in an instant. He needs to be on the field a lot. He has a keen eye for the ball and seems to be in the right place at the right time.

Jul 8, 2014, 8:45 AM

He's an exciting player to watch and he's got the athletic framework of someone who could be an all-time great...but it's tough for me to read this article and not see any mention of the fact that he had a tendency to be way out of position. While he had a great interception against Ohio St, he let up two really, really bad touchdowns (one of which was called back) because he was wayyyy out of position.

Granted, he was only a freshman, so I'm optimistic on his ability to improve this, but it was still a part of his game last year and worth mentioning.

Jul 8, 2014, 8:49 AM

You're absolutely right about those mistakes, but I think those can be cured, and I like his attitude towards improvement. If he can solve those problems he can be one of our all time great secondary players, because his athletic ability is off the charts.

Jul 8, 2014, 9:03 AM

Agreed...there's no question that can be cured and I think having Mike Reed as the DB coach could be huge in this progress.

However the pessimistic side of me looks at last year and sees Travis Blanks, who looked great at times his freshman year, take a step back in his progress. Hopefully that was an anomaly and Reed's coaching can help get both Blanks & Kearse where they should be mentally, because they've both got what it takes physically.

Blanks was head scratching last year

Jul 8, 2014, 9:39 AM

I think it was because he was put in a new position and just got inside of his own head. Also it was mostly in run support where he struggled. Blanks didn't have too many busts in the passing game from what I can remember. But time and again he's run out of his own hole in the running game and give up big plays.

Re: Blanks was head scratching last year

Jul 8, 2014, 10:11 AM

Yea I don't know what it was...especially since he showed so much promise his first season in. Let's hope he gets it together this season.

Re: Blanks was head scratching last year

Jul 8, 2014, 5:46 PM

Blank was a 2nd safety his freshman year, not the free safety. He played well there.

Jul 8, 2014, 5:44 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Ten to Watch: Film study sets Jayron Kearse apart ]

Blank was a much better player at the strong safety position or 5th man Db.

He was boom or bust in a big way last year.

Jul 8, 2014, 9:25 AM

We need a lot more of the boom this season.

He could make an incredible game-changing type play on one series and completely blow an assignment to give up an 80yd TD on the next.

His potential was immediately evident as soon as he stepped out onto the field, but it's really up to him now to learn and to work on the mental aspect of the game.

That's true for most true freshmen playing in the secondary

Jul 8, 2014, 9:40 AM

You could see Kearse's eyes being caught in the backfield, he played a lot of LB so you can understand it to a point. That's easily corrected with proper coaching and film study. I think he'll be a stud soon enough. It's not a technique or talent issue, he's got those in spades.

Re: That's true for most true freshmen playing in the secondary

Jul 8, 2014, 5:55 PM

In high school, he could use his speed to make up for his mistakes. In college, the game is much faster across the broad. You could be standing right beside a receiver and hesitate a little and some college qb can drill the ball right pass you. Boyd did it to many of Dbs

Re: He was boom or bust in a big way last year.

Jul 8, 2014, 11:27 AM [ in reply to He was boom or bust in a big way last year. ]

I agree I hope to see more boom this year too. he played good except sometimes his eyes were in the backfield too much. he got beat a few times against Ohio State because he was too concerned whether Miller was going to take off and run (who can blame him), but he just needs to play more disciplined and rely on his teammates (Anthony, Steward) to keep an eye on those scrambling QB's. Overall I like his upside. His Height is great for Safety and He will intercept more passes over his time at Clemson.

Jul 8, 2014, 1:48 PM

Yes Sir!!! That maybe why Miller didn't run more than he did. I'm sure Miller knew that Kearse was just waiting on him to try and slip out so he could lower the boom on his already beat to h&ll battered body....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2014, 5:51 PM [ in reply to He was boom or bust in a big way last year. ]

College level play and speed is much differ than the high school level. And can be very decieving to a 1st year player. For instance, a 6'6 270pd lineman who can run a (4.4)forty or move just as quick if not faster than you. There an adjustment period at certain positions.

A 4.4 lineman?

Jul 8, 2014, 7:29 PM

Name one.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: A 4.4 lineman?

Jul 9, 2014, 7:11 AM

Agreed! Exageration, but I get his point at watching what may be coming, and it is much faster and more complicated than HS.

Jul 8, 2014, 7:31 PM [ in reply to Re: He was boom or bust in a big way last year. ]

How many of you guys played and started as a freshman in high school. On the varsity football team.? Probably not very many of you guys did. So when some of you say he was bad sometimes and good sometimes. This guy is going to be one helluva football player. Sure he made mistakes but this is D1 football and he will be a Beast. It takes a very good freshman player to be a starter on a good high school team but kearse started for a top 10 D1 program.

Prediction ...

Jul 8, 2014, 9:54 AM

Kearse will leave Clemson as one of the very best safeties we've ever had.

We threw him in the "deep end" last year out of necessity and he had some bad moments, but it was easy to see that inexperience was the cause of most of them.

He has a huge up-side.

We'll benefit from it this year and next.

But, enjoy it, because we may not see him here as a senior.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Prediction ...

Jul 8, 2014, 11:22 AM

Safety is usually not a high NFL pick.

Re: Prediction ...

Jul 8, 2014, 2:18 PM

I believe there were three first round safeties taken this year. DBs are in vogue right now.

Jul 8, 2014, 9:59 AM

Hope our d can carry us till the o gets clicking

Jul 8, 2014, 11:24 AM

I think the O will set new records... cause the D will get the other O off the field. If the D can get the other O off the field we will score lots of points!

Jul 8, 2014, 7:40 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Ten to Watch: Film study sets Jayron Kearse apart ]

I'll bet this O clicks.

Him watching the OB film

Jul 8, 2014, 5:53 PM

should provide things not to do

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic