Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Biggest problem in the Playoffs last yr was RT more than QB
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Biggest problem in the Playoffs last yr was RT more than QB

Aug 12, 2018, 10:55 PM

I thought Anchrum was an upgrade to Pollard at RT last year, but I'm sure even he'd admit that he was a disaster vs Bama during the playoffs. The tide noticed early that they could get pressure on Kelly from that right side and they kept going to that well all game long.

I'm sure everyone this year will try and follow the same blueprint. Against most teams we play, it won't matter but in the playoffs or against the better teams we need that RT position to be much improved this year for us to get where we want to go. To me Anchrum and G. Williams who finally gives us a consistent blocking presence at TE are two under the radar keys to truly unlocking our offense.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Biggest problem in the Playoffs last yr was RT more than QB

Aug 12, 2018, 11:09 PM

Agreed! Our O-line just struggled terribly in that game, the backs didn't help much either. Our offense was responsible for 14 of Bama's points with the pick 6 and the other turnover deep in our own end that they scored on with the next play. That game makes me sick to watch! I do believe those big guys up front took that game personally & we will see a much more physical Tiger O-line this year.
Go Tigers!!!

Aug 12, 2018, 11:25 PM

If Carmen as frosh at rt what Hyatt did as a frosh that would be very nice!

Aug 13, 2018, 5:28 AM

Shhhhhhhhh.........it's all KB's fault.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2018, 5:36 AM

I watched that game yesterday again objectively. You are correct about RT. That was pretty bad. That said, even when KB had time he was horrible. I couldn't believe how awful he was when rewatching it. He was cringe worthy bad.

Aug 13, 2018, 6:51 AM

People really undervalue what a good QB does to relieve pressure on the OL. Deshaun’s Texans didn’t have a very good OL. His first two games people were getting to him and blowing up plays. But he was always making the best of every play and burned defenses for their overcommitment enough that his next few games his pockets looked a lot cleaner. Similar situation with Cole Stoudt vs DW4. The OL wasn’t good that season. Wake Forrest got pressure on us and was disruptive. The OL looked a lot worse when Cole played than when DW4 did. If defense can send 8 every play because you’ll never burn them they will. Kelly is a great athlete and maybe even a good technical QB but his pocket presence is just abysmal. The excuse of needing 5 OL a TE and a RB to block 8 guys every dropback is just making excuses for Kelly’s biggest weakness.

Aug 13, 2018, 8:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Biggest problem in the Playoffs last yr was RT more than QB ]

It was a big mismatch downfield, Bama's DBs were exceptional last year and our WR corps was maybe the weakest its been in five years.

This year if we matchup that DB vs WR matchup will be a lot different. They lost a ton of DBs and our WRs will be bigger and more physical. It will be a huge difference, not just the line of scrimmage (which is always a key).

OL is a problem for most teams vs. Bama

Aug 13, 2018, 8:18 AM

You gotta figure it out.

They will make plays.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic