Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Biggest issue with our D
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Biggest issue with our D

Sep 3, 2013, 9:02 AM

seems to be our lbs again. I thought our line did great but if the rb broke the line, there was no back up. They basically just ran free after the line hence the long runs. Saw the same issues last yr in the first 6 games. Not sure if it's scheme or players out of position.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Noticed the same thing. If the play isn't disrupted

Sep 3, 2013, 9:03 AM

at or behind the LOS, then they're going to get at least 5 yds.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Biggest issue with our D- Shuey

Sep 3, 2013, 9:06 AM

is the only sure tackler in the LB or secondary. With everyone else including Blanks it is a crap shoot when tackling

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

half the long runs

Sep 3, 2013, 9:10 AM

weren't b/c of missed tackles but just no one there behind the line. There were some missed tackles for sure but a lot of the longs runs were due to nobody just there to make a tackle.

Just shows you with Shuey, talent is not everything. Instincts are a large part of playing lb. He always seems to be around the ball. I suspect Bouleware will be the same type of player.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Overall, I was happy with the D against an offense like

Sep 3, 2013, 9:13 AM [ in reply to Re: Biggest issue with our D- Shuey ]

Georgia's but receivers wide open in the middle of the field seems to be a problem again this year. With the great receivers we've got, I don't recall ever seeing them that wide open.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go back and look how many of those were Christians

Sep 3, 2013, 9:37 AM

Fault....

That pass where Murray rolled out after play action, QC bit on the play action from his zone spot and opened up that home for Connoly (?) to cut back and get open.

He's awful.

the reason I hate Zone D.....***

Sep 3, 2013, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Overall, I was happy with the D against an offense like ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Who is Shuey? Don't you mean Suey? a la Musburger

Sep 3, 2013, 9:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Biggest issue with our D- Shuey ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

You guys missed something

Sep 3, 2013, 9:22 AM

Gurley's long TD run is on Shuey. He sidestepped a block instead of engaging the fullback and left a huge hole. Blanks had contain to the outside and Shuey jumped right in front of him.

On the long run by the fullback the D tackles were blown up. The linebackers went with with the tailback but there were no missed tackles on either play.

Re: Biggest issue with our D

Sep 3, 2013, 9:25 AM

I thought the LB's played better.

Stephone Anthony forced the fumble that led to one of our TD's.

Sep 3, 2013, 10:35 AM

Yes, but Anthony missed two huge tackles on the last TD drive of Georgia late in the game.

Sep 3, 2013, 9:26 AM

545 total offense against the D is scary but I am waiting a few games to judge

You may see UDA run up 500 yds Offense on USC next week then the D is not a big deal

That may easily be the best offense Tigers see all year

545 yds is scary it was just under what WVU put up in the Orange Bowl

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we tend to over run the play

Sep 3, 2013, 9:27 AM

and hence forth the cutback and then its 75yds later gurley scores.man to have a couple of studs like georgia has in the backfield would be great.

Not closing gaps due to over-pursue

Sep 3, 2013, 9:29 AM

Watch the first run and you will see it evident by number 11 on defense (I forgot the name but I think it it our safety )..

Part of the miss is that ga has good rb and they are capable of making sharp cuts on a dime without losing speed

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

To me Gurley and Marshall were the biggest issues

Sep 3, 2013, 9:30 AM

Probably will not see two backs that physical the rest of this year.

There were also some assignment issues with players being out of position but I think it will get better and better as through the next few games.

This years will not compare to last year other than to be better when it is all said and done.

Somebody gets it. There are NO perfect games in football.

Sep 3, 2013, 9:35 AM

Every player on the field will make mistakes, miss a tackle, be out of position at some time. GA has a wealth of talent returning on offense and we got a WIN!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My only concern is that we were loading the box

Sep 3, 2013, 9:40 AM

Every time, hence the open receivers...

What happens when we play FSU where We have to respect Winston's pass AND keep him from getting 5-10 yards with his feet on a broken play.

It's a legitimate concern, and it won't be easy.

Sep 3, 2013, 9:44 AM

Good teams find a way to win in spite of those things, however. We'll see.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

i don't think fsu has a gurley, or a marshall . those two

Sep 3, 2013, 10:19 AM [ in reply to My only concern is that we were loading the box ]

are what we were loading up to stop. we were going to make murray beat us with his arm - and he couldn't.

Message was edited by: sgt tiger®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FSU has some good RB's as well

Sep 3, 2013, 10:11 AM [ in reply to To me Gurley and Marshall were the biggest issues ]

And Jameis Winston looks like the real deal. Luckily we have some time to get ready for those guys.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2013, 9:38 AM

So we play the first game of the year against two highly touted RB's and one of the top quarterbacks in the country and we are surprised they got some yardage? I thought the defense did a great job all things considered. Would love to not see the big plays but that is to be expected when you have that much talent on the other side of the field.

Sep 3, 2013, 9:39 AM

So we play the first game of the year against two highly touted RB's and one of the top quarterbacks in the country and we are surprised they got some yardage? I thought the defense did a great job all things considered. Would love to not see the big plays but that is to be expected when you have that much talent on the other side of the field.

I think you have to give credit where credit is due....

Sep 3, 2013, 9:52 AM

and acknowledge that Gurley and Marshall are two extremely good RB's.

There were some assignment issues that can be addressed and corrected but at the end of the day I'm not sure any other team in the country has two RB's as good as Gurley and Marshall

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Gurley is head and shoulders better than Marshall

Sep 3, 2013, 9:56 AM

imo. Their running game wasn't the same when he was out. Dude is a beast.

Gurley is faster, but Marshall might be stronger.

Sep 3, 2013, 10:04 AM

Ask Reader, who got a free ride into the endzone from Marshal. I'm betting that has never happened to Reader before.

the big gurley run...33 overpersued...got caught...

Sep 3, 2013, 9:55 AM

It was just a play...sometimes you go Too fast...

One basic thing... And this is a bigger concern...like when Gurley scored after being hit 6-7 yards deep and kept coming: 2 of our guys had a shot at him....they went high...come on man...remember when you were in peewee....take his legs out...

Surely our 170-180 lb DB's coming up dont think they're gonna hit 220-230 lbs of pumping thighs from the waste up and do anything. This happened 3 or 4 times. You gotta know what's coming at you.

Sep 3, 2013, 9:56 AM

Seems like we got a lot of this cleaned up by the second quarter. Anthony had a few monster plays on Gurley and Sooey was solid most of the day.

Gurley will make all LBs look bad.

Sep 3, 2013, 9:59 AM

Thought the D as a whole played very well.

UGa has one of, if not, the best offenses in the country. We started slow, then made a lot of stops for most of the rest of the game.

Count me as happy w/ the D at this point.

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

It appeared that way.

Sep 3, 2013, 10:03 AM

The uga plan was based on murseboy's strengths. He has two fantastic moves. One is the handoff to girley the other is a timing pattern across the middle.

I can't really say Venables made the right choice by stopping the timing pass. I can concede that things would have been different had we had our LBs focused primarily on the run but I won't venture to suppose what the outcome would have been.

Thoughts?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic