Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Big Ten tried to recruit Georgia Tech?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 151

Big Ten tried to recruit Georgia Tech?

Apr 16, 2020, 9:22 PM

I missed that story line...

Ivan Maisel: The poaching of Maryland and Rutgers allowed the Big Ten to establish a beachhead on the East Coast, but what if Jim Delany had succeeded in his sales pitch to Georgia Tech and convinced the Yellow Jackets to leave the ACC? The Big Ten would have set anchor in Atlanta, the national capital of college football. The league would be able to recruit more in the biggest treasure chest of talent in the country. And Ohio State fans would have learned the pleasures of a chili dog at The Varsity

Ryan McGee: People forget this now, but in 2010 we were all asking ACC commissioner John Swofford questions about his league's chances of survival. At the time, the Big East seemed like it was in the power position. But it got caught napping and the ACC picked it apart. What if the Big East had gotten its act together, been the aggressor, and made the moves so many had expected?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29024595/college-football-alternate-realities-conference-realignment-ifs

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Big Ten tried to recruit Georgia Tech?

Apr 16, 2020, 10:15 PM

I noticed on a lot of future conference realignment proposal videos on you tube some of these Big Ten guys are wanting to give Maryland back to the ACC, Rutgers too. LOL.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Big Ten tried to recruit Georgia Tech?

Apr 16, 2020, 10:21 PM

Big East already had VT and Miami. Always thought they should have gone after Clemson, GT. FSU and NCState to help form a southern division. UNC and UVA may have ended up in the SEC.

I believe GaTech just got into AAU before that

Apr 16, 2020, 10:38 PM

That's a prerequisite, and they are pissed that Nebraska dropped out.

The poaching of Maryland !?!?!

Apr 17, 2020, 9:01 AM

At the time, Maryland's athletic department was on the verge of bankruptcy and hadn't contributed anything of significance to the league in decades. Not to mention the fact that their fans were among the most vile and repugnant in the league.

Poaching my @$$. Most people were glad to see them go.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Decades? I think they had a national title in basketball about 10 years before they left

Apr 17, 2020, 11:42 AM

So, maybe a decade.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OK...in fairness...

Apr 17, 2020, 4:16 PM

Maryland won a national championship in men's basketball in 2002.

They joined the Big10 in 2014.

They also won National Championships in men's soccer (2005 and 2008), wimminz hoops (2006), and a couple others in wimminz LAX and Field Hockey.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hmmm...

Apr 17, 2020, 11:58 AM

They got Rutgers(NYC Market)..
They got Maryland(DC/Baltimore Market)..

Georgia Tech(ATL Market)?....

Would have made sense...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Big East was in the power position in 2010?

Apr 17, 2020, 12:35 PM

After the ACC had already taken Miami, VT, and BC? I seem to recall them hanging on for dear life with West Virginia, Louisville, USF, etc. The ACC picked the carcass a little more adding Louisville and Cuse, but the Big East seemed to be in very bad shape already.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but i think this would've been more true about 10 years prior in the early 2000s. Does McGee have his timeline confused?

Atlanta - the national capital of college football

Apr 17, 2020, 1:19 PM

Yep - that's what I think of when I really miss football

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's the biggest city in the southeast and the SE is the

Apr 17, 2020, 2:09 PM

undisputed center of college football these days so i think it makes some sense. You could also say the capital of CFB is Birmingham, Alabama because it draws ludicrous TV ratings where like 60% of households are watching major CFB games.

The College Football Hall of Fame is in Atlanta***

Apr 17, 2020, 4:09 PM [ in reply to Atlanta - the national capital of college football ]

Replies: 11
| visibility 151
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic