Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Big Picture on our USCjr Rivalry, Their 5 win and BCS games
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Big Picture on our USCjr Rivalry, Their 5 win and BCS games

Jan 5, 2014, 11:25 AM

To the recruits that live outside of the State that has little knowledge of the rivalry and its history the W-L record has virtually NO meaning!.....None whatsoever...It is merely bragging rights to the local natives...

What matters to the top recruits?.....For starters, I imagine Dabo stayed in Florida to take the Orange Bowl Trophy on a tour to show off the newest hardware and maybe have a nice photo-op....

What matters is top recruits seeing Clemson's beating another Top 10 team in Bowl for the second straight year. When Players see guys like Sammy Watkin's, CJ Spiller, Nuke Hopkins, Gaines Adams all being recent first round and in most cases top 10 NFL draftees...the Rivalry and W-L records mean ZERO....

When Clemson earns the right to start the College football year like we did with the SEC's might #5 UGA and we get to showcase out fans on GAMEDAY, Death Valley's traditional method of the Tigers entering the stadium and the Valley rocking The Rivalry and W-L record means ZERO...

Here is what has occurred in last 3 years of the Rivalry in our 3 losses:

1 ACC Title.......Matters
2: Orange Bowl Appearances: Matters
3. CFB Victory over Top 10 LSU with a fantastic TV game.....matters
4. Orange Bowl Victory over #7 Ohio State in highlight reel game...matters

So...again....the W-L record of our rivalry means ZERO to recruits because they are seeing everything that occurred after those loses.....

Even in the 1st Orange Bowl beating...it kept our name out there and allowed us to go 22-4 and pure redemption on the national stage....

The old ball sack can only brag about beating Clemson and 5th place rings..........Tell that to a 5-star recruit

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Well said!***

Jan 5, 2014, 11:28 AM

Totally agree with 90% of what you said; however,

Jan 5, 2014, 11:29 AM

at some point the losing to the coots has or will hurt our instate recruiting. I think it has zero impact on our out of state recruiting.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll take 90%.......But

Jan 5, 2014, 11:31 AM

The kids look at so much more than just the rivalry. Instate is instate....I'll give you that....but with some resistance...:)

The problem I have with what you're saying is that it makes

Jan 5, 2014, 11:32 AM

it sound like that game essentially does not matter at all whether we win or lose. To me, no game matters more. I'm just old school I guess, but to me if you've lost five in a row it's best not to spin it.

Like I said..It matters to us locals!..Not a kid from Miami..

Jan 5, 2014, 11:34 AM

They want to play football....

I don't want to beat South Carolina to help recruiting.

Jan 5, 2014, 12:16 PM

I JUST WANT TO ####### BEAT SOUTH CAROLINA

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

there is no good way to spin 5 losses in a row....

Jan 5, 2014, 12:11 PM [ in reply to The problem I have with what you're saying is that it makes ]

but if it makes you feel better

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

An Orange Bowl victory makes me feel great….

Jan 5, 2014, 1:55 PM

Feel really sorry for you, that some inbred swine coots can affect how you feel about Clemson.

Re: The problem I have with what you're saying is that it makes***

Jan 5, 2014, 1:54 PM [ in reply to The problem I have with what you're saying is that it makes ]

South Carolina baseball since 1975: 31 NCAA Tournament appearances including a streak of 14 straight / 12 Super Regional appearances/ 11 College World Series berths / 5 National Championship game appearances / National Champions in 2010 and 2011. The Gamecocks hold 3 NCAA records for postseason success: The most consecutive NCAA tournament wins (22) / The most consecutive wins in the College World Series (12) / The most consecutive home NCAA tournament wins (29).
Since 1992 The Gamecocks have competed in the SEC and have 4 SEC titles / 1 SEC tournament title / 7 SECE titles.

Re: The problem I have with what you're saying is that it makes***

Jan 5, 2014, 1:57 PM

The other problem is that it gives too much credit to recruiting. Recruits care about getting to the NFL. That's it. Nothing else. Both programs have proven they can get kids there.

South Carolina baseball since 1975: 31 NCAA Tournament appearances including a streak of 14 straight / 12 Super Regional appearances/ 11 College World Series berths / 5 National Championship game appearances / National Champions in 2010 and 2011. The Gamecocks hold 3 NCAA records for postseason success: The most consecutive NCAA tournament wins (22) / The most consecutive wins in the College World Series (12) / The most consecutive home NCAA tournament wins (29).
Since 1992 The Gamecocks have competed in the SEC and have 4 SEC titles / 1 SEC tournament title / 7 SECE titles.

Re: Big Picture on our USCjr Rivalry, Their 5 win and BCS games

Jan 5, 2014, 11:35 AM

Watch the transformation of Clemson's o-line coming up. We have recruited some big, mean, powerful, nasties. We will always throw the long ball, but starting this year we will pound teams with an inside/outside run game. The Coots pass rush will save them no longer.

Jan 5, 2014, 11:36 AM

To most recruits it probably doesn't matter.

But stop trying to make it meaningless. It matters. It matters to me. It mattered when we were winning that game all the time,and it matters when we lose it.

It's not the only thing that matters, not by a long shot. BCS wins, conference championships, wins over programs like Ohio State, UGA, LSU, FSU, VT, and Auburn the last 3 years...Those all matter and matter a lot. In many ways they matter as much or more.

But beating SC matters to Clemson, and it should. Trying to argue it doesn't matter is foolish. Just because we don't like it (or personally drives me nuts) doesn't mean we can just say it doesn't matter.

Let me try again...It matter to locals like us.....

Jan 5, 2014, 12:17 PM

But my topic is how the rivalry impacts recruits....Ok?....I did say it matter to people like you and me..ok?

If USCjr beat us AND we don't win the ACC, go to the OB twice, win some big bowl games Dabo wouldn't be coach.....

The key to continue success is recruiting and most players it simply doesn't matter....

the rivalry will sort itself out....but our ability to obtain great players is not impact by it on any significant level as long as we keep winning big...

Jan 5, 2014, 11:38 AM

Interesting theory, but I have a question.

If SC has never done any of those things (which they haven't) then how in the world did they get to a point in the first place to where they are now able to beat Clemson for five straight years and be the better team of the 2?

South Carolina as zero history and they have zero of the things you mention. Yet, somehow, they are going to finish this year not only beating Clemson for the fifth straight year, but also being ranked ahead of them for several years in a row.

Seems to me like Clemson's coaching staff must be pretty bad that they can do all of these things you mention which you say are the most important factors to gaining 5 star recruits, yet at the end of the day, that coaching staff has found a way each year to end up behind SC in both head to head matchup and rankings.

I don't know, but if recruiting is that much better at Clemson as you say it is, then you might want to think about getting some new coaches.

Because at the end of the day, winning is about one of two things. Coaching or Talent. According to you Clemson has had the better talent, so your coaching must be really lacking.

Coot Logic

Jan 5, 2014, 11:49 AM

The team that wins the Super Bowl doesn't concede the two or three teams that won a game against them that year is BETTER. If Auburn beats FSU is LSU better? Does Auburn have to hand over the trophy? Run along and go visit that empty trophy case and stare at yourself holding up five fingers in the mirror in the back of the EMPTY case.

Re: Coot Logic

Jan 5, 2014, 12:12 PM

No, one year doesn't make a team better. I certainly wouldn't say that Tennesse is better than SC, yet they beat us. No argument there.

But five straight years of beating Clemson AND the fact that SC has finished ranked higher in the polls in each of those seasons, absolutely tells me that SC is better.

Sorry, but no coot logic needed for that one.

SC is better than Clemson.

only thing is, you and the rest of that pathetic fanbase are

Jan 5, 2014, 12:18 PM

the only ones to think that. using a braves analogy, the marlins (during bad years), and the nats (during bad years), would often times beat us in multiple series, but in the end the braves were standing taller. see how easy that is. sometimes the lesser team wins multiple times. it's about certain match-up's, and y'all have gotten the better of us. for at least the last 2 years, i'll contend we were the better team till the day i die.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: only thing is, you and the rest of that pathetic fanbase are

Jan 5, 2014, 1:52 PM

obviously SC fans are not the only folks to think SC is the better program. In fact, all of college football outside pickens county thinks that ( see Palmer's clemson's big brother, South Carolina comment).

But the fact that SC has been ranked ahead of the Tigers at the end of the last several season proves that most folks think SC is better.

It will be interesting to see where the 2 teams end up ranked next week.

5 in a row is not an anomaly. 5 in a row is not an accident. 5 in a row is domination. 5 in a row is ownership.

if you are going to pin your feather on what Jesse

Jan 5, 2014, 2:37 PM

palmface Palmer says.... I'd consider changing my handle from "alpha male"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2014, 12:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Big Picture on our USCjr Rivalry, Their 5 win and BCS games ]

It's not always about recruiting...some teams just match up better against others. That USCjr team's strength was Clemson's weakness so it worked in y'all favor. Does it mean our recruits aren't better? NO...it just means y'all had a good gameplan and it worked better than ours. Look at y'all against UGA, UCF, Mizzo, and Tenn. Those games were match nightmares and y'all escaped 2-2 in them...just saying...Do you really think that Tenn was a better team?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2014, 12:35 PM

Lurking Tiger, No I don't think Tennessee was better but that is because they won one game (I think we had beaten them the previous 3 or 4).

BUT, yes absolutely, if this was the fifth year in a row that Tennessee had beaten us, I would think they were better. That, in my mind, would be a pretty ridiculous thing to try and argue. If I did try to argue it, I could certainly understand how dumb of an argument it would sound like to the Tennessee fans.

I don't think SC is better than Clemson because of a single win this season. I think SC is better than Clemson because of five straight.

And the rest of the nation thinks that as well.

Jan 5, 2014, 11:44 AM

I'm sick of this talking about the Coots from USUCK! Who cares??!! I'm sure they would love a conference title, 2 BCS berths, and an ORANGE BOWL CHAMPIONSHIP TROPHY!!! I remember when we would beat the chickens, and lose a bowl game and everyone would complain about winning the bowl game and never bragged about beating the chickens!!! People look to complain! I'm so happy where we are as a program!! We have an ACC title and an orange bowl championship!!!!! Wake up people, GO TIGERS!!!!

Jan 5, 2014, 11:50 AM

I agree but the little brother syndrome from down South will never allow the Coot talk to stop.

Jan 5, 2014, 12:10 PM

Those same recruits you speak of will be watching closely come Monday night.
I'm not so much worried about our USCjr Rivalry as I am recruiting against FSU.

Jan 5, 2014, 12:14 PM

i look at it this way, we have beaten
1-ohio state
2-georgia
3-lsu
4-fsu
5-auburn
pretty big names out there and that pulls some weight

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2014, 12:16 PM

and if FSU can take care of bidness it will prove that you dont have to be in the mighty ess eee cee to win it all, and that will pull some weight too

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is the BIG picture I am speaking of!***

Jan 5, 2014, 12:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Big Picture on our USCjr Rivalry, Their 5 win and BCS games ]

Completely agree!!

Jan 5, 2014, 12:57 PM

I agree completely. I come from what may be considered "old school" now and ever since, and witnessing Clemson hit the National Championship bar back in the 80's, the rivalry with the coots seemed small and almost a nuisance.

Think about other national rivalries that you AREN'T emotionally invested...for instance

Ok - OK State
Alabama - Auburn
Fla St. - Fla

Do you as an emotionally UN-invested consumer of their games really care which of them wins, save some possible year end Bowl advantage or national standing for us? Do you necessarily remember which of them won from year to year, or say 5 years back? Do you in general have less respect for any of these programs overall because of these W-L status to their rival 5 years ago?

That's right, NO you don't, because you know in your heart you are going to be in a dog-fight anytime Auburn or Alabama or OK St or OK or Fla St. or Fla comes a knocking.

That's the power of having a nationally respected and focused program. The coots only have the small scoped "we beat Clemson" view. It is their world, it's all they know and all they are likely to ever know. Oh that and because SEC...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Completely agree!!

Jan 5, 2014, 2:06 PM

You do realize, we beat 2 BCS bowl winners and 6 bowl winners overall this year. All you listen to is the Clemson stuff. How many bowl winners did you beat this year?

Jan 5, 2014, 2:27 PM

And what real hardware to you have to show for this amazing feat?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2014, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Completely agree!! ]

Not only hardware, but (relevant to topic) why is your recruiting program sucking such wind?

You can say what you want to justify it, but that game at

Jan 5, 2014, 1:19 PM

the end of November matters the most.

The other stuff is also huge, as it helps the national perspective and recruiting outside the state.

But that game is more important than any other and we haven't won it in five tries.

Re: You can say what you want to justify it, but that game at

Jan 5, 2014, 1:46 PM

There's never any "justification" to lose to the coot, except that living in an imperfect world, it happens.

However, setting that game up as being the most important plays into small minded coot logic. Also there has been MANY more than "5 tries". If it will make you feel better, Clemson won 4 in a row 97, 98, 99, 00 and four more in a row 02, 03, 04, 05, then 07 and 08 and is just as significant, if not more so than their little run lately. It's all history and it all counts so don't be so down.

Jan 5, 2014, 2:00 PM

Scar recruiting rank what this year ? Has not helped recruiting much at Scar. Scar has lived on a couple of good recruiting yrs and now they are gone.

The 5 yr blip on the Clemson's well dominated series is about to end.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2014, 2:00 PM

I believe you are correct in the BCS era but now the playoff scenario is upon us and every game counts. During the BCS era, all Clemson had to do was beat their ACC schedule, which they did, and win the majority of their OOC games to make the BCS bowl.

Like it or not the playoff scenario now puts Clemson in a tough spot because of SOS. Outside of Clemson and FSU the ACC is a joke.

Jan 5, 2014, 2:02 PM

You do understand we are ranked ahead of you NATIONALLY right?

Wouldn't that mean that people think we are better than you Nationally. I would think that matters.

Having said that, USC is on it's best run ever. Clemson had a good run in the 80's and your current run is 2nd only to that run. Both teams are relavent Nationally and it makes for a better rivalry.

I thought what Spurrier said after the bowl game was a little silly, but he did it to get the fans going. I think what Dabo did was for himself to feel relevant after Spurrier hurt his feelings. He has a good team and he really doesn't need to keep telling himself how good he is. He really has an inferiority complex.

It was similar to when he went off about how this is Clemson's offense not Chad Morris'. Maybe that inferiority complex or chip on his shoulder or whatever you want to call it, is what drives him and makes him successful, I don't know. But that is how I see it.

Jan 5, 2014, 2:18 PM

Coots as a whole have been living the inferiority complex the last 32 years. Spurrier is an offensive genius but a small small obnoxious little man. Has it ever occurred to you that Spurrier's constant need to denigrate the Clemson program is that he now OWNs that very inferiority complex. Dabo's just defending the program from the childlike Spurrier's spew.

Oh Dabo doesn't just feel relevant, he IS relevant.

Glad someone put it in true perspective

Jan 5, 2014, 2:13 PM

Over the last 5 years, the game has become something that I have come to hate. Having to listen to their moronic fan base boast about their dominance of us. When in reality they look all year to the "state championship game" and to thereafter carry the Alabama/SEC flag in the BCS. We are looking for more. The streak will end, who the knows when, but over the last 5 years it has meant merely nothing but trailer pride.

Nobody knows what recruits really think

Jan 5, 2014, 2:14 PM

I think most understand that just because Wake Forest is in a BCS game that doesn't mean Wake Forest is a top 10 team.

If any of you were actually reasonable enough to acknowledge the successes of both schools, I think you would realize there is not much difference between the two from
a national perspective. These types of arguments are simply generated by the fans of each school.

You lost all credibility with...

Jan 5, 2014, 2:17 PM

"1 ACC Title.......Matters" LOL!

Jan 5, 2014, 2:39 PM

Don't you think all them 5 star recruits watched the Fla St
game? I think it will have a ever lasting memory on their minds.

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic