Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Still think #3 ranked Tigers over-achieved a bit last year in CFP game with OHst..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Still think #3 ranked Tigers over-achieved a bit last year in CFP game with OHst..

Sep 13, 2020, 10:42 AM

since they got behind 16 points vs a very good & well-rounded team..

and if a couple of calls had gone the Bucks way they would have probably done Clemson in..

but they didn’t and Tigers sucked it up and played outstanding ball til the finish to win.

Yes, I think OHst had a special group there last year and with it being back maybe a bit stronger this year, I can see their lamenting over not playing this year.

A week or two from now may tell whether they do play or not this season.

To me it was one of the best Clemson performances and comebacks on a large national scene I’d witnessed in 62 years against a legit #2 team and am very proud of what they & coaches achieved that night.

Go TiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rumor coaches last year thought 2020 was our year. Any success in 2019 was gravy.***

Sep 13, 2020, 10:55 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Still think Tigers over-achieved a bit last year in CFP game with OHst..

Sep 13, 2020, 10:59 AM

Then how would you describe the Championship game?We actually had an early lead in that one.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 reasons Clemson lost in Natty vs LSU, imho.

Sep 13, 2020, 11:18 AM

1. Had a tough game against powerful & physical OHst (LSU not so much with OK).

2. LSU better team & played their A game. Only team to ever beat 8 teams ranked in Top 10.

And, our “early lead” vs LSU was due to punts that pinned them down within their 5-15 yard lines and Clemson D stopped them twice which gave our O ability to work from a short field, thus 14 fast points.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't forget

Sep 13, 2020, 2:01 PM

Elliott forgot that Etienne was on the team in the 2nd half. Honest mistake though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Still think Tigers over-achieved a bit last year in CFP game with OHst..

Sep 13, 2020, 3:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Still think Tigers over-achieved a bit last year in CFP game with OHst.. ]

I recently watched the replay of last year‘s championship game and the reality is we played a bad first half, not because of LSU, but just a lot of mental and unforced errors on our part. Unlike the Alabama game the year before we just did not play well and I think the hangover from the Ohio State game could’ve been part of that and Trevor certainly did not play well.

After re-watching that game I really felt like we blew a lot of opportunities and had we played a little bit better we could have easily been up by 7 to 10 Points at the end of the third-quarter! With a lead in the fourth quarter we could’ve kept the ball on the ground with ETN and kept LSU off the field and maybe held on to win!

Unfortunately, we did not have a lead going into the fourth quarter and our defense was exhausted and unfortunately LSU had a great fourth quarter! Give us a lead at the end of the third-quarter or had we had the DL from the year before and I think we win that ball game!

OSU’s problem was that they needed to play an entire 4 quarters to win.

Sep 13, 2020, 1:08 PM

1)They came in with a great plan but our coaches adjusted. Their coaches did not.

2)The calls didn’t go their way because the officials made the correct calls.

The only call that was iffy was the Justin Ross drop. Even if they get that call there was no guarantee of a Buckeye win because with them retaking the lead it changes our offensive game plan. Who is to say that Clemson does not get the ball back and drive it straight down the field for a TD to answer them? The hypothetical what ifs can go a lot of different ways. The bottom line is that they lost for the two reasons stated above.

But to your point Bill I am also of the opinion that we overachieved mainly because we did not have a championship caliber defensive line.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I really think OSU had a better team (roster wise) than us

Sep 13, 2020, 1:36 PM

last year. But our coaching staff is better and our big players made big plays when it mattered and theirs did not. They could've buried us in the 1st half, but they couldn't punch it in the EZ when they needed to.

Re: Big 10 and Pac 12 aren't that good this year...

Sep 13, 2020, 4:58 PM

They all dropped out of the top 25.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic