Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Better or Worse in 2020: Florida State
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Better or Worse in 2020: Florida State

Jun 18, 2020, 3:04 PM

2019 Record: 6-7 (4-4)

Quick facts hastily researched:
-FSU brings in a new coach Mike Norvell.
-They bring back 10 starters on Defense (a Defense that finished 90th in Total D in 2019).
-Starting QB James Blackman returns, but is essentially the only QB on the roster with any experience. He's tough, but isn't the most durable and plays behind a shaky OL. Blackman is also coming off a 4 INT performance in the Sun Bowl.
-FSU must also replace a great RB in Cam Akers, and find some answers at OL which has been abysmal.
-DT Marvin Wilson is an absolute monster, and will be an All American.

FSU opens with 2 big Non-Conference games away from home in the first 3 weeks - West Virginia (in Atlanta) and at Boise St- as well as games vs Clemson, Florida, Louisville, and Miami.

What say ye? Better or worse than 6-7 in 2020?

Sept. 5: vs. West Virginia Mountaineers (Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta)

Sept. 12: vs. Samford Bulldogs (Tallahassee, Fla.)

Sept. 19: at Boise State Broncos (Boise, Idaho)

Oct. 3: at NC State Wolfpack (Raleigh, N.C.)

Oct. 10: vs. Clemson Tigers (Tallahassee, Fla.)

Oct. 17: vs. Wake Forest Demon Deacons (Winston-Salem, N.C.)

Oct. 24: at Louisville Cardinals (Louisville, Ky.)

Oct. 31: vs. Pittsburgh Panthers (Tallahassee, Fla.)

Nov. 7: at Miami Hurricanes (Miami Gardens, Fla.)

Nov. 14: vs. Boston College Eagles (Tallahassee, Fla.)

Nov. 19: at Syracuse Orange (Syracuse, N.Y.)

Nov. 28: vs. Florida Gators (Tallahassee, Fla.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: Better or Worse in 2020: Florida State

Jun 18, 2020, 3:12 PM

I say they are 7-4, 5-3 going into rivalry game. If they win that, they win the bowl and go 9-4. If they lose (which they will), they finish 7-6.

And I hope I am right. I think the ACC needs them to at least show improvement.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if they simply play up to the talent they have...

Jun 18, 2020, 3:20 PM

they have to be better

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 18, 2020, 3:28 PM

Better, ceiling is 8-4 likely 7-5 - In the few Memphis games I watched Norvell is a good "planning" coach. Team seemed prepared, executed initially, but could struggle later in games.

The first game is going to be the most interesting, considering that I thought Neal Brown (WVU) would have been a bit more exciting but still, second year is the make-it year. I expect FSU to beat WVU.

W
W
L
W
L Brings a Library
L (If wins here, then 8-4)
W
W
W
W
L

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think they'll be better.

Jun 18, 2020, 3:44 PM

New coach, new attitude. Not a world beater but better. A few years down the road, who knows.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think they'll be better.

Jun 18, 2020, 6:14 PM

Mike Norvell is a good coach, and he is known to get the best out of what players he has!!! I do expect to see some improvement from FSU if we have a full season!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 18, 2020, 3:50 PM

Better. Norvell is a huge improvement over Taggart on game day. Taggart was pathetic beyond belief.

Plus, they lost some really tough ones last year. Could easily have beaten Boise, UVA, Az.St, Wake. A loss is a loss, but in trying to assess next year, I really think they were a bot better last year than 6-7 suggests.

Jun 18, 2020, 4:13 PM

Better and by a lot. Many games in the previous season were just down right awfully coached but still close games. 4 losses were by 1 score and a good coach which Norvell is would've made those games probable to win. FSU has talent although losing some top tier talent such as Akers as mentioned who I think was one of the best RBs in the country and didn't get enough credit doing what he did despite the worst OL in power 5. I think they have a ceiling of 10-3 and a floor of 7-6 as long as they play to their potential.

More talented than all but 2 maybe 3 opponents on their schedule I'm giving them the benefit here saying a ceiling of 10-3 but breaking in a new culture and having them ready I keep the floor around 7 wins but they get back on track with a winning season.

Jun 18, 2020, 4:20 PM

I think Blackman will be a steal for someone in the NFL. I think he could be a good NFL qb after a few years.

Jun 18, 2020, 4:21 PM

I'm probably in the minority but 5-7 is very possible. I think Norvell will take his lumps getting a freshmen starting repair at QB to plan for the future.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Jun 18, 2020, 4:30 PM

Doesn't Blackman have 2 more seasons?

Jun 18, 2020, 10:44 PM

I thought he was a senior because he started against us in 2017, but it looks like he played 4 games in 2018 and redshirted. I still think he's damaged goods at this point during to FSU's terrible oline.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Jun 20, 2020, 9:37 AM

We didnt have a spot for him, but if he could have gone to a Clemson or an Alabama, he would be really well known as a great player. I just hope he can survive his time at FSU. Its painful to watch the beatings he takes.

Jun 18, 2020, 4:26 PM

I calculated 6-6 but that is pure speculation. I like that we are at least talking football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of '87

Jun 18, 2020, 4:28 PM

6-6, if they play all 12 games. This season could have a HUGE asterisk after everyone's stats if things start to go sideways from the COVID. I could easily see games being cancelled because of disease. I say, if that happens, we just put up with what games can be played and not get all bent out of shape about how the season ends. Let's just be happy for whatever amount of football we can get. I would be SEVERELY disappointed though, if the season were cancelled out of 'an abundance of caution'.

2020: Florida State

Jun 18, 2020, 6:20 PM

Sept. 5: vs. West Virginia Mountaineers (Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta)----W

Sept. 12: vs. Samford Bulldogs (Tallahassee, Fla.)----------------------------W

Sept. 19: at Boise State Broncos (Boise, Idaho)-------------------------------L

Oct. 3: at NC State Wolfpack (Raleigh, N.C.)----------------------------------W

Oct. 10: vs. Clemson Tigers (Tallahassee, Fla.)-------------------------------L

Oct. 17: vs. Wake Forest Demon Deacons (Winston-Salem, N.C.)------------------W

Oct. 24: at Louisville Cardinals (Louisville, Ky.)----------------------------L

Oct. 31: vs. Pittsburgh Panthers (Tallahassee, Fla.)--------------------------W

Nov. 7: at Miami Hurricanes (Miami Gardens, Fla.)-----------------------------L

Nov. 14: vs. Boston College Eagles (Tallahassee, Fla.)------------------------W

Nov. 19: at Syracuse Orange (Syracuse, N.Y.)----------------------------------W

Nov. 28: vs. Florida Gators (Tallahassee, Fla.)-------------------------------L

7-5 (5-3)

"I love this place, I've got a spot already picked out where I want 'em to put me when I die - up there on that ole hill near the stadium. I want to be there so I can hear all them people cheering my Tigers on Saturdays; then I won't have to go Heaven; I'll already be there."- Frank Howard

Re: 2020: Florida State

Jun 18, 2020, 11:04 PM

I would see them at 6-6 can’t see them winning in Boise who will be improved over last year nor beating the gators. Being better the .500 in the ACC wil be difficult for them. Maybe but I don’t see any real improvement in theirr record

Re: 2020: Florida State

Jun 18, 2020, 11:04 PM [ in reply to 2020: Florida State ]

I would see them at 6-6 can’t see them winning in Boise who will be improved over last year nor beating the gators. Being better the .500 in the ACC wil be difficult for them. Maybe but I don’t see any real improvement in theirr record

Should be better.

Jun 18, 2020, 10:30 PM

Probably will be worse.

Jun 18, 2020, 11:10 PM

I see them winning between 8-10 games next season. Blackmon has a nice arm, especially on a deep ball, and the kid is tough if skinny as a fence post. There is talent, but what could derail them from the jump is team attitude. Didnt I see a week or so ago that one of the team stars basically called Norvell a liar about a team meeting?

Jun 19, 2020, 2:02 PM

I expect them to be better. They have good talented players, but the recent coaching has been horrible. Their new coach, if he can get the team to buy in and play as a team, they should win at least 7 games.

Jun 19, 2020, 3:57 PM

Obviously they will be better because the dysfunction from Taggart will be gone (or greatly reduced).

By no later than 2021, FSU will be the clear cut #2 team in the ACC after us.

Jun 19, 2020, 7:22 PM

Much better even if their record doesn’t totally reflect it. Norvell is a big upgrade at coach. The talent isn’t there like it has been in the past but the cupboard isn’t bare either.

Jun 20, 2020, 9:33 AM

I'm thinking FSU Book Guy will still need reading material during a game, but maybe a little lighter genre.

Jun 20, 2020, 4:05 PM

Better. But, that is a very low bar to clear.

I know you folks are extremely knowledgable fans. And, I know you understand FSU was bad last year. But, no matter how bad you think we were, we were worse.

We had better talent on the field than anybody we played except Clemson and Florida. We had worse coaching than anybody we played except......well, maybe when we practiced against the scout team coached by GA's the coaching was equal.

Has to be better .... Taggart is gone.***

Jun 20, 2020, 2:29 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic