Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Best way to fix terrible BCS bowls
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Best way to fix terrible BCS bowls

Dec 4, 2012, 11:57 AM

If a conference champion is not in the top 20 then that conference forfeits their automatic bid to a BCS game. The spot or spots left open by these conference champions will be filled by teams qualifying for at-large spots. Teams from the conference losing their automatic bid are still eligible to be chosen for at-large spots if they meet current requirements for a BCS at-large. This allows a team with 1 loss occurring in their conference championship to the unranked team to be chosen for a BCS game if the bowl chooses. Along with this rule, the rule about automatic bids for non-AQs should be changed to only give them a bid if they are in the top 10 of the final rankings and an AQ conference did not get its automatic bid. Non-AQ teams will still be eligible for at-large selection according to their ranking under the current rule.

This would take Wisconsin, Louisville and NIU out of automatic bids this season.

BCS would then be:
NC: Notre Dame vs Bama
Sugar: Florida vs Clemson/Oklahoma
Fiesta: Kansas State vs Oregon
Orange: Florida State vs TBD
Rose: Stanford vs Clemson/Oklahoma

The OB getting the last pick would have to get an exemption to fill its spot because there are no other teams eligible to be an at-large. Options would be taking a 3rd team from AQ conference(Georgia highest ranked) or taking the highest ranked team below 14 (NIU-I didn't rank these teams).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Better solution - eliminate auto bids all together***

Dec 4, 2012, 12:02 PM

Eliminate all conference tie ins to bowls

Dec 4, 2012, 12:08 PM

Or at most say that a bowl can only have 1 conference partner.

You can predict most bowl games by about the 3rd week of conference plan. Its boring watching the same conference matchup year after year.

Re: Eliminate all conference tie ins to bowls

Dec 4, 2012, 12:11 PM

I kind of agree with this. I mean how many times does a fan base want to go to the same bowl.

Again though...it is about TV sets and not fans in the seats.

Its boring on TV as well

Dec 4, 2012, 12:20 PM

I get to watch the same Big 10/SEC matchup 2 times on New Years Day every year.

The same ACC/Big East match up

The same ACC/SEC

The bowls used to bring together teams that wouldn't typically play each other. I remember playing Stanford, Oklahoma, Illinois, Penn St, WVU, Cal etc. Now none of those matchups are even possible (with the exception of the Sun Bowl with the Pac 12). I don't believe there is an SEC/PAC 12 possibility but I could be wrong.

To make this happen

Dec 4, 2012, 12:28 PM

there would have to be a set order that the bowls got to pick from. If there is no order to pick then the same teams that are good teams year in and year out will still be traveling to the same places in Florida every year for a bowl. The bowls will pick the good teams with fan bases that spend money and the other teams will be left in the cold, literally (Boise and New York come to mind)

Back then a bowl "bid" actually ment a "bid"

Dec 4, 2012, 12:33 PM

good teams were able to pick and choose where they wanted to go based on what the bowl offered them (financially, exposure, matchup).

Many of the bowls had 1 tie in and the other was choosen from the best team they could get. And previous years in the bowl was a consideration. If the same team went year after year, the fans quit following.

I like that idea

Dec 4, 2012, 12:36 PM

Fans go when they feel like they have accomplished something to get there. That's one of the reasons that half of the bowls have such terrible turnouts these days.

Many dont get watched on TV either***

Dec 4, 2012, 12:46 PM

I like the idea of no conference tie ins but certain

Dec 4, 2012, 12:22 PM [ in reply to Eliminate all conference tie ins to bowls ]

bowls are going to take their teams. Rose bowl isn't going to change. Sugar is always taking the SEC. At the same time, schools aren't going to want to bail on the bowls that have been treating them well to test the waters elsewhere. The fans want a different bowl atmosphere every year, but the bowls and schools like to know what they are getting.

1 tie in would be ok

Dec 4, 2012, 12:28 PM

but the conferences would drop their tie in in a skinny minute. The SEC was willing to walk away from the Sugar but nobody else ponied up for their "Champions" Bowl. The Big 12 did walk away from the Fiesta (and the orange).

The ACC's bowl coalition was with the Citrus and now the BCS is with the Orange.

The Rose backed away from their Big 10/Pac 10 matchup to get the championship game.

Re: Best way to fix terrible BCS bowls

Dec 4, 2012, 12:02 PM

your concept is good but the polls aren't very reliable. why were there a bunch of two loss teams in front of some when they only had one. if the equity issues were improved on the polls I'd agree

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2012, 12:05 PM

The real best way? 6 super conferences. Conference champs go. 2 at large teams go and everyone else goes to the normal BCS Bowls.

Not sure how exactly you would get the 2 at large teams. But NIU wouldn't be one of them. Quality wins/strength of schedule something more like the Basketball bracket. Youre only talk about what? 3 or 4 more games.

Dec 4, 2012, 12:05 PM

Why give Clemson/Oklahoma bids over UGA, LSU, Texas AM, and South Carolina?

If you are removing the automatics to have the best play, then why leave in the two per conference rule? A little bias there!

I mean it is a fact South Carolina deserves it more than Clemson. South Carolina beat Clemson at their place by double digits with their back up QB and 2nd/3rd string running back.

So I guess which SEC teams should go in front of South Carolina before we get to Clemson?

On that note....most people wouldn't have given Clemson a bid last year as they didn't deserve it. The score reflected that. The BCS isn't about having the best teams play. It is about trying to spread some money around to all the conferences. If you let only the best play in them, then all the money would be going to the SEC. I mean six of the top ten are in the SEC!

Dec 4, 2012, 12:10 PM

Wasting your time.

The best games are not rematches

Dec 4, 2012, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Best way to fix terrible BCS bowls ]

That is the reason that the 2 team rule stays. (See NC game TV ratings from last year for proof) I said the games needed to be made better, not that the best teams need to play in them. The majority of America doesn't want to see Fl/UGA, Oregon/Stanford, LSU/Bama/Texas A&M for the second time in a year. The 2 team per conference rule helps eliminate rematches reasonably.

On the Clemson note. Under my system WVU and not Clemson would have been the team not making it to the BCS last year (ranked outside top 20). Going into the game everyone thought they didn't belong (because they got in based on BCS tiebreaker to win the Big East they were in a 3 way tie for) and that Clemson did. Crazy things happen in bowl games and Clemson was outplayed.

Re: The best games are not rematches

Dec 4, 2012, 12:27 PM

i would rather have the teams that deserve it be there instead os who everyone wants to see. if we are just gonna go by who the viewers will watch we may as well take bama, michigan, usc, texas, ou, nd, fsu, and uf and let them take turns playing each other.

You need to accept two things

Dec 4, 2012, 12:34 PM

1st - It's all about getting people to watch. Spend money in the cities the bowls are held in and get people to watch on TV. People want to see something they haven't seen before.

2nd - You can whine about who deserves it all you want but you are 6th in line in the SEC. You wouldn't get chosen no matter what the format was. No bowl wants Scar over Bama, LSU, Florida, UGA or Texas A&M and that's why you keep going to Tampa.

Re: You need to accept two things

Dec 4, 2012, 8:05 PM

if you really look at your two points you might find the contradiction.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic