Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Boston College
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Boston College

Aug 5, 2016, 7:53 PM

Just bought my tickets for the Clemson Louisville game!! Next I'll be getting my ticket for the Clemson BC game. For those of you who have been to a Clemson BC game in chestnut hill, how'd you like it? Not just the game but the stadium and the night life and the things to do in Boston?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Boston College

Aug 5, 2016, 7:58 PM

No place like Boston. You will love it

Aug 5, 2016, 9:50 PM

went to grad school there.only city i'd ever consider living in permanently.you always hear about college towns like our beloved CU.boston is a college city.nothing else to be said.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Great ....but

Aug 5, 2016, 8:14 PM

I spent four wonderful days there and my only hiccup was transportation
"FROM" the stadium. A cab "to" the stadium was a non event. Just to get cab "out" took
an hour plus and three times the money. They have trains and other options. Enjoy!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great ....but

Aug 5, 2016, 9:14 PM

MTA is the very best. Unless your name is Charlie!

Aug 5, 2016, 9:52 PM

one of the trio's best.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Aug 6, 2016, 12:48 AM [ in reply to Great ....but ]

Take the T or just get an Uber....it's not illegal in Massachusetts, and it's extremely convenient.

Aug 5, 2016, 9:13 PM

Stay in Prudential Center area. Pricey but 4star. Take 30 minute subway ride to BC stadium. Lots of Clemson fans onboard. Food at stadium very tasty and good variety. Fans very friendly. Put a red bandana in your back pocket to honor the 911 hero, Welles Crowther, that was a BC grad. Wonderful young man who died while saving many people on 911. BC fans appreciate it. Take Duck Boat tour for sure. Take the bus historical tour if you're a history buff. Facinating to see where so many famous historical events happened. Drive or take bus to Plymouth and see the other important rock, the Mayflower replica and the Pilgrim and Indian villages. Amazing.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 5, 2016, 9:17 PM

Good advice. I personally like the Cambridge area but downtown is super. You will never see it all on the first trip so plan to return. If the Sox are in town Fenway is a must. Nothing like that

Aug 5, 2016, 9:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Boston College ]

Bought my tix for BC game couple of months ago...really excited about trip to Boston. Planning to stay down on harbor so we will be close to Aquarium...any great hotel suggestions for that area? And we are planning to do a whale watching tour...anybody done that and have comments?

Aug 5, 2016, 9:55 PM

legal seafood!

null

Aug 5, 2016, 9:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Boston College ]

don't forget the constitution(old ironsides).lots closer than plymouth.

null

Aug 5, 2016, 11:31 PM

Sad to say,.and not 100% sure, but my uncle is a board member of the foundation for Ironsides, and he mentioned they were putting her up in drydock for a couple of years for a massive overhaul. I agree though. My grandfather was the Master ships carpenter for a few decades on her, and she is my all time favorite warship. Lot of fond memories and something any history buff woukd truly enjoy.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 7, 2016, 10:20 PM

to my immediate right is a revel model of our favorite ship.have built it countless times over the years.doing it this time for my 4 yr. old grandson.never tire of putting it together.

null

Aug 6, 2016, 1:36 AM

As a local, here's my advice:

If it's your first time, you should be able to fill up on the good "touristy" stuff, and then use later trips to really dig into some of the "deeper" aspects of the city. A forewarning: Boston is called "America's Walking City" for good reason. It's very compact, and part of the experience there is walking between numerous great places for long amounts of time. Everything is close to one another, so there isn't a lot of lull, but you're going to end up walking a lot. Just be prepared.

I'd highly recommend the Freedom Trail. Yes, it's cliché, but it's very good and you'll see tons of very cool historical locations. This will bring you through the North End: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO STRAY FROM THE TRAIL. Boston's North End is arguably the best urban neighborhood in the United States. Other cities like NYC have good Little Italy's, but none can match the old-world charm of Boston's. It's characterized by 1 lane streets where side walks & roads become one (https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3652144,-71.0554817,3a,75y,159.09h,94.91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWGAbHjujhgbGZysCdq2Mrg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656). If you visit Boston, the North End is a must-see.

Of course, visit Boston Common, Beacon Hill & Boston Public Gardens. They're all gorgeous and must-sees.

If you're looking for a good, popular place to eat, the North End never disappoints. It's very expensive, but you're going to likely find some random hole-in-the-wall restaurant which serves delicious Italian food. Bite the bullet, spend the money, and enjoy. If not the North End, go to Union Oyster House down by Faneuil Hall and dig in on some raw oysters. The food is good, but the history is better. Before it was home to America's oldest restaurant, the building housed the Massachusetts Spy, a revolutionist newspaper. Later on it would become a favorite of Daniel Webster and the Kennedys. It's very touristy, but it's kind of cool to sit in the preferred restaurant of America's most royal/cursed family. Heck, a French king even hid out above the restaurant in the 1800s after being exiled! It's a cool place.

If you're a real foodie though, go onto Thrillist.com and find the hottest new places opening up in the city. Generally, they aren't in downtown, but in the South End (one of America's first predominantly gay neighborhoods--though it's very mixed now), Cambridge or Somerville. If you're feeling even more daring, or with someone familiar with the area, go get some authentic Brasilian food. While Boston's image in popular culture is predominantly Irish & Italian, it quietly has the largest foreign Lusophone (Portuguese speaking) population in the world. There is a significant historic & immigrant population of Portuguese, Brasilians, Cape Verdeans, Azoreans, and even Angolans. Not interested in those cultures? That's fine. But at least have the food, because it's incredible. There should be many options you can find with a Google search, but my personal advice is to take the Orange Line to Sullivan Square and walk West on Broadway until you get to Gauchão Brazilian Cuisine. It's pay-by-the-pound Brazilian barbecue. Get the picanha ("pee-kahn-ya"), linguiça ("lin-gwee-sa") and maminha ("mah-mee-nya"). You're welcome.

On gameday, if you want to watch games before/after our game, go to Tavern in the Square in Allston. If you're taking the T, it's at the Harvard St stop on the B-Train of the Green Line (look at the subway map before you go; the lines are colored, but then also lettered on the Green Line). It's got very good food and a million TVs. There are multiple Tavern in the Square locations throughout the city, but this is the closest one to Alumni Stadium.

FOR ALL BEER LOVERS, DO NOT GO TO SAM ADAMS OR HARPOON. Go to Trillium Brewery in Fort Point. They're making the best beer in the nation right now. There's no fancy tour, just beer. If you like beer, go there and buy a growler or some bombers. Everything they have is insanely good, but the Fort Point Pale Ale is their flagship, and it's amazing.

Best of luck!

Aug 6, 2016, 5:39 AM

Thank you!! Great insight and I'm fired up to go!

Aug 6, 2016, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Boston College ]

This is excellent advice. Thanks for sharing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+1 on The Union Oyster House ... and walking Freedom Trail***

Aug 6, 2016, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Boston College ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes do not go to................

Aug 7, 2016, 1:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Boston College ]

Sam or Harpoon! So much better beer in Boston. Lord Hobo, Sunset Tap & Grill, Deep Ellum,The Publick House etc. etc.

Oh and Bloody Mary's with Guinness at Durty Nelly's at 0800!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best road trip in The ACC. Enjoy it! ******

Aug 6, 2016, 2:06 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Best road trip in The ACC. Enjoy it! ******

Aug 7, 2016, 11:06 AM

True and Lville a close second. Go Tigers

Re: Best road trip in The ACC. Enjoy it! ******

Aug 7, 2016, 11:34 PM

well I'm going to the Louisville game at home this year as well as the BC game so should be a lot of fun!

Aug 6, 2016, 2:39 PM

The stadium is about 2 miles away from the nearest bar / train back to Boston FYI. For whatever reason, people think these two locations are close (Boston and Chesnut Hill), but they aren't. It's about 35min drive with traffic and 50min via rail, keep that in mind before / after the game. Tailgating is nonexistent outside of the fraternity quad (which you'll have to walk through with your Clemson gear on to enter the stadium, always fun).

Your best best is to hang out around the Cleveland Circle area before / after the game. You'll inevitably end up at Cityside, (everyone does).

As far as nightlife is concerned in Newton / Chestnut Hill, post-game is a zoo. The bars are a menagerie of drunken BC idiots with their heads down after an inevitable defeat. I will say that they were all very complimentary on the way out of the stadium the last 2 games I've attended there but at the college bars after the game, it can go left if you stick around late (and we beat them by more than 2 touchdowns).

Boston, on the other hand, is an entirely different city and vibe. Great food, tons of nightlife options, etc. Just don't think of Boston and Chestnut Hill / Newton as one and the same - they are most certainly not.

Have fun!

Boston is a tremendous city. I've stayed in downtown at

Aug 7, 2016, 11:23 AM

the Marriott[Wharf, Copley(sp?)] & outside the city in Framingham, just ~20 mile drive west on I90. I did not use the commuter trains in Boston, but have in many of the other major cities so I imagine it's as convenient & accessible.

If you enjoy trains, I took the Acela out of DC shortly after 9/11, it was an easy way to travel that ~95[NE] corridor, if you're thinking of not flying.

Game or no game, it's a great place to visit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic