Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Best Way to buy a Phone these days
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Best Way to buy a Phone these days

Nov 23, 2017, 1:24 PM

Question if I may ask:

What is the best way to purchase a phone these days. My phone has pretty much had it after about 3 years. I figured maybe now is a good time to purchase a new phone.

I am not one who needs to keep changing out phones all the time and upgrading.

I liked it when you could go to Best Buy or even the carrier and get an Iphone for I think it was $199.00. You can't do that now days.

I am seeing if you buy a phone full price you get nothing in return but if you pay with installments then you get $300 gift cards, etc. Seems to me the person who can pay the full price up front would receive the discount.

What is the most cost effective way? I would prefer to just pay for the phone and just be done with it.

Thank you.

Happy Thanksgiving and Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Best Way to buy a Phone these days

Nov 23, 2017, 1:30 PM

If you pay by installments you'll probably end up paying a lot more for the phone, plus you're locked into a contract with a specific carrier. If you don't need anything fancy you can get a decent smartphone for less than $100 with no contract.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 23, 2017, 1:31 PM

I wouldnt buy new from the cell company. Buying new locks you into a contract, payment plans, etc etc.

I have had the same plan for almost 8 years. Whenever one of my phones starts to go, I hit up Amazon for a newer model.

I am on Verizon which uses SIM cards. So I buy a Verizon compatible smartphone thats usually a generation or so behind and just put my SIM card in the new phone and keep going.

I am currently using a refurbished Samsung Galaxy S5 which I bought from Amazon 2 years ago, cost about $200 and its in brand new condition.

we use straightalk

Nov 23, 2017, 1:39 PM

they have iphone 6 with 32GB for $200, then pay $45/ton, runs on verizon network, works well for my girls

one drawback is that the phone belongs to straightalk forever

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: we use straightalk

Nov 23, 2017, 1:43 PM

If you go to wal mart today at 6 and stand in line you can get that phone for 129

Nov 23, 2017, 2:30 PM

Well it’s up to you but I don’t do contracts anymore for phones. I use to but when my son started college I bought him the iPhone 7 outright. Paid more of course but for 50 a month everything is unlimited. Metro pc is really the way to go if you have the cash. It’s owned by T-Mobile. If you have a plan somewhere, even a cheap plan, you can even go there and get any phone they have up to 100.00 for free as long as your current line is active and keep your number too. They have a pretty decent phone or two at that cost.

But if you have the cash and can buy the iPhone outright , you’ll Pay for it over time and get unlimited everything. I like having control over what I do .

I just didn’t want my son to have any bill responsibilities while in college.

eBay. Buy used from a reputable seller.***

Nov 23, 2017, 3:33 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

One of the best providers is Consumer Cellular, which runs

Nov 23, 2017, 4:32 PM

on AT&T network. There is no contract, but you can buy and/or finance various phones through them. I usually by my own phones refurbished off Ebay. I have had a Galaxy S7 for about a year, which I got for about $350. I am paying $74 per month, tax and all, for 2 phones, unlimited talk & text, with 4 gigs of data.

Its a really good deal, better than Straight Talk, if you have more than one phone. Straight Talk is a flat $45 per phone, I think. Consumer Cellular is $40 for the first phone and $10 per each additional phone, for unlimited talk & text, even less if you need less.

They customer service is really good, also.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 23, 2017, 6:16 PM

T-Mobile has a deal if you are over 55 years of age. for 2 phones unlimited talk, text and data. for $60 per month, must be on auto pay. Best deal going by all providers. I did this and they even paid my son's phone off at Verizon which was almost $300 left on his pay-off.

I would say prepaid. Get a really nice phone

Nov 23, 2017, 6:20 PM

for free or almost free, and get very good monthly rates with unlimited data and no contract. Not sure why anyone wouldnt do this?

Re: I would say prepaid. Get a really nice phone

Nov 23, 2017, 6:34 PM

Amazon, ebay, gazelle, and glyde all have tons of "not the current model" phones for decent prices.

Then just pick a no-contract, pre-pay carrier. Most offer an unlimited plan under $50/month.

Yup. There you go.***

Nov 23, 2017, 6:43 PM

Nov 23, 2017, 6:42 PM

Not gonna lie, lots of false information above. Check this article out: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/unlocked-phones-vs-contract-phones-everything-you-need-to-know/

I have Verizon, there is no contract. But, I do pay installments for the phone. It does not cost more than if I’d paid the full amount up front. However, I can upgrade to a new phone every year, as long as I keep paying those payments. At the end of the day, you have to pay someone the full amount of the phone. There is no getting around that. You can always unlock your phone and switch carriers if you’d like. And like I say, Verizon is no contracts. I’d figure the others are the same way. But if I switch, I have to pay them the rest of the phone price... I have $300 left.

If you’re talking any kind of promotion deals, u just have to find them, and that will sway the decision.

So without reading all of that...

Nov 23, 2017, 7:15 PM

What is their answer?

Nov 23, 2017, 6:42 PM

Thank you for all of your responses.

Definitely not on the Clemson Football forum...***

Nov 23, 2017, 6:53 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic