Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Best Clemson QB
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Best Clemson QB

Jun 19, 2014, 4:15 PM

If you had to pick any one Clemson QB to win a game for the national championship who would you pick? Type of offense doesn't matter. Who's your guy? There's an interesting list to pick from and if I leave somebody off feel free to add your own.

Fuller, Homer, Rodney, Woody, Whitehurst, Tajh or someone else?

Personally I'd go with Rodney. Not the greatest arm but I think he'd be the leader that would be needed in a pressure packed situation.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Best Clemson QB

Jun 19, 2014, 4:18 PM

I have to give the nod to Woody. The man could run for 1000 yards and pass for 2000 more. In our offense, Woody would be freaking awesome IMO. But any on that list would be fine with me.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Any on that list?

Jun 19, 2014, 7:29 PM

With Homer...
you better hope the defense held the other team to 10 points, and that Clemson gets the ball on the other team's 40 yd line for the winning drive.

;)

Jun 19, 2014, 7:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Best Clemson QB ]

i'm thinking ron harper,since we ran two of his passes in
for touchdowns!!!

Best Clemson QB Tajh Boyd with a great line is THE BEST!

Jun 20, 2014, 2:48 AM

I loved all of our QB's !!!

My pick comes with the offensive line we had in 1988.

Tajh Boyd with a great line is unstoppable. He could run our pass at anytime and run over you. He could hand off to the RB and wear the defense down. He could set up the short pass to the TE and screen pass to the WR's and RB's.

The reason I chose Tajh is he had fun and could always put the long ball/BOMB on the money like no other QB we have ever had. He would be smiling and laughing all the way to the National Title. Could you imagine the last 3 years with a top notch line with protection against FSU and the Brown Eggs!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

I'm gonna go with IBWG

Jun 19, 2014, 4:22 PM

Very well could throw for over 500 yards in the annual TNet Pigskin game.

Maybe if the defense was first graders***

Jun 19, 2014, 4:24 PM

Welp, it is the annual TNet fb game so that's not a stretch***

Jun 19, 2014, 4:30 PM

Re: Maybe if the defense was first graders***

Jun 19, 2014, 4:37 PM [ in reply to Maybe if the defense was first graders*** ]

Dude, I totally could stiff arm a 1st grader and struggle for the 1st down when we needed it. Don't be hating. It's a gift, really.

True, especially if lil Bob plays secondary

Jun 19, 2014, 4:40 PM

But I bet he's scrappy for a lil fellar.
;)

Re: True, especially if lil Bob plays secondary

Jun 19, 2014, 5:11 PM

Bob would play RB. He'd just run through everyone's legs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm gonna go with Fuller

Jun 19, 2014, 4:29 PM [ in reply to I'm gonna go with IBWG ]

I played football and ran track against him HS, he was gutsy, tough and talented. His Spartanburg High team averaged 76 points a game and he was the leader of a very talented group of guys!

At Tiger Town he was as heady a QB as we have ever had. I am a Rodney fan, live in Lex and have mutual friends, less talent and a big heart, I loved what he turned into at Clemson!

Re: I'm gonna go with Fuller

Jun 19, 2014, 4:37 PM

Thanks for the kind words, but it was 78 points a game, not 76. I did what I could and thank God for all my abilities.

Jun 19, 2014, 4:29 PM

National Championship caliber??

Handle pressure??

Guide our Tigers on a last drive??

No barber!!>>>. Woodrow D

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Easy

Jun 19, 2014, 4:35 PM

Willy Korn or Will Proctor

Willy Koktor?***

Jun 19, 2014, 4:39 PM

Homer...oh wait he did that...Woody for sure...***

Jun 19, 2014, 4:48 PM

Jun 19, 2014, 5:09 PM

I'd have to say Steve Fuller but have seen some good ones including Tajh. Harvey White and Lowndes Shingler were really good too!

Harvey White was a little before my time, but my Dad

Jun 19, 2014, 5:16 PM

always said that White was the best Clemson QB he'd ever seen, at least until the 1980s.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

White/Shingler might be better than any "one" QB since.***

Jun 19, 2014, 9:52 PM

1. Fuller - did everything extremely well: Running, passing,

Jun 19, 2014, 5:14 PM

throwing on the run, making good decisions, leading, toughness.

2. Whitehurst - Great arm, tough as nails, great leader, best pure pro style QB we've ever had.

3. Tajh Boyd - Best arm ever. Lightning quick release. Huge heart. Great leader.

4. Woody Dantzler - by far the best running QB we ever had. Like a really good RB with a strong arm. Great leader, often turned nothing into a big gain.

5. Kyle Parker - Did not have the best "career" while at CU, but that is not the question. Parker was on his way to having an outstanding career, however, before he suffered what turned out to be a career altering injury, and of course, and before baseball came a'calling. Great arm and moved well with the ball pre-injury. Real competitor.

6. Homer/Rodney tie. Both were Clemson heroes who were great leaders and good athletes who ran their particular offenses beautifully. In my opinion, however, neither was as talented or as good as the ones I have ranked ahead of them, and the success both enjoyed was due in large part to being surrounded by great players. I know, Homer was QB on the NC team, but HE did not win the NC, he was on the great team that won it. I know we won a boatload of games with Rodney at QB, but HE did not win them, rather the great teams he was part of won them. I take nothing from what either of them achieved, but they would not be my top choices if I were going to The NC with a random team around them.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: 1. Fuller - did everything extremely well: Running, passing,

Jun 19, 2014, 5:30 PM

I don't disagree with you except that Homer had a lot to do with the NC win. He was on a great team with a great defense but he put the offense on his back that night. If you can find some of the old articles about that game, many refer to how beat up and dehydrated he was after that game. Your analysis is right on but Homer showed a lot of heart against a very physical Nebraska defense.

I don't disagree entirely, and he certainly had a lot to

Jun 19, 2014, 5:34 PM

do with that win. He just wouldn't be my choice overall.

- H. L. Mencken

Jun 19, 2014, 6:31 PM

Whitehurst. All these guys were good in their time but I would pick him. In my opinion he and Boyd have been two of the toughest players I have seen play the position at Clemson. Granted I'm 36 and didn't get to see some of the others QB. All these guys have had their time and place but in my short lifetime Whitehurst showed the most grit. I have never seen a guy get knocked out cold on the field and come back to his senses looking for a fight like he did against A&M in Death Valley. He was a gamer. I think he did more with less talent. The rob spence system set him back but he was a general. There were some good games and some less than stellar games but I blame the latter on the coaching and preparation we had at the time.

I will agree, I would pick Charlie

Jun 20, 2014, 12:24 AM

He wasnt the most athletic QB we've ever had but he was a game manager and made alot of great.throws at Clemson. He was very accurate and always looked for the open guy instead of eyeing one receiver every play. He also knew when to run the ball. He was no woody our Boyd but he took what the defense have him. I see Cole Stoudt being very similar to Charlie, but that's just my opinion

Re: I will agree, I would pick Charlie

Jun 20, 2014, 1:24 AM

Homer is the ONLY one to have proven he could win it all. To heck with stats all I want is a winner.

Re: Best Clemson QB- Kelly - no D could stop him

Jun 19, 2014, 6:38 PM

only his big mouth did. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rodney or Chris Morocco*******

Jun 19, 2014, 6:52 PM

Rodney

Jun 19, 2014, 7:32 PM

Problem with RW, he never could hit a moving target.
Receivers had to find a spot, get open and wait on the ball.

I'll never forget him against NC State

Jun 19, 2014, 8:12 PM

I think it was 1988 and we had NC aspirations. We were trailing (I think) 30-0 at the start of the 4th quarter and Rodney started passing the ball all over the place. He threw a then NCAA record 48 passes in the 2nd half. He was almost perfect. If it wasn't for a dropped ball by Tracy Johnson on 4th down we would have won that game.

Back to back Citrus Bowls throwing like that against

Jun 19, 2014, 9:44 PM

Penn State then managing the clock against Barry Switzer's Oklahoma while our insane D shut Jamil Hollaway down. Jesse Hatcher was a beast that game. One of the best Bowl games I have been to.

TAJH, TAJH, TAJH, TAJH...

Jun 19, 2014, 7:26 PM

and did I said TAJH!!??

Jun 19, 2014, 7:44 PM

With a real OL, Whitehurst, hands down. All he needed was just a little protection, which was much less than he ever got. I've never seen a QB take the abuse he did.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I still go with #4 Steve Fuller......you had to be there!***

Jun 19, 2014, 9:46 PM

Tajh Passer / Woody Runner / Rodney Game Mgr

Jun 19, 2014, 11:44 PM

But we have not seen our best yet ... stay tuned.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2014, 12:04 AM

Rodney Williams would be last on that list. He actually played on teams with enough talent to win a national championship and they still managed to find a way to lose 2 games a year. Fuller and Whitehurst would seem to be the most logical choices but Homer actually did it. Boyd has at least one ### game each year so he's out. Woody was fun to watch but he was pretty much the same guy for 4 years, great runner, so so arm. Just for giggles I'd probably go with Whitehurst.

Richard Moncrief

Jun 20, 2014, 2:26 AM

He was the greatest to run Kenny's wishbone attack!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic