Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Belk "Unconditional Release"...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 2,794

Belk "Unconditional Release"...

May 16, 2018, 8:11 PM

...guys, I'm no expert on NCAA rules and such, but I think some of you are misinterpreting this. The fact that Clemson granted an unconditional release simply means Belk is free to enroll/transfer wherever he likes. Many times, players are granted a conditional release from their commitment where they aren't allowed to transfer to same conference schools, or same inter-conference division schools, or a school on this year's upcoming schedule. You see conditional releases all the time and they are the norm. That part is up to the individual school and coach as they decide whether or not to release the athlete from their commitment, and what if any stipulations they may impose to allow him to do so.

However, I do not believe that Clemson's "unconditional release" supercedes the NCAA transfer rules at all. He will still have to sit out a year if transferring to D1, or not if transferring to a lower division. Now, I may have this wrong, but I don't think so. It just means that WE did not put any conditions on where he may transfer. But the NCAA transfer rules still apply.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Unless NCAA grants family hardship waiver

May 16, 2018, 8:13 PM

And their might be other reasons. I wish our journalists would explain this

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Belk "Unconditional Release"...

May 16, 2018, 8:14 PM

I also thought this was the case, and would be interested to hear if that’s correct.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 16, 2018, 8:41 PM

It was my understanding that the transfer rules had recently been changed. I'm being lazy and not googling, but if I find that out for sure I will come back and confirm.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 16, 2018, 8:47 PM

Based on what I read, he will have to sit. He has to meet “ALL” conditions...and he doesn’t meet condition #1.

One-time transfer exception: If you transfer from a four-year school, you may be immediately eligible to compete at your new school if you meet ALL the following conditions:

- You are transferring to a Division II or III school, or you are transferring to a Division I school in any sport other than baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men’s ice hockey. If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.

- You are academically and athletically eligible at your previous four-year school.

- You receive a transfer-release agreement from your previous four-year school.

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This link may help...

May 16, 2018, 9:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Belk "Unconditional Release"... ]

...note the "transferring to play a sport OTHER than Division I baseball, basketball, FOOTBALL, or men’s ice hockey" stipulation. That rule is still in effect, but they are discussing changing the transfer rules currently and that has been in the news recently. May be what you're thinking about.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/5/9/17311748/ncaa-transfer-rules-change-guide-list-sit-out

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

I posted a link to the transfer guidelines

May 16, 2018, 8:56 PM

Fot the NCAA for 2017 to 2018 in an earlier thread as well as their FAQ:
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/get-facts-about-transfers

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017-18_Transfer_Guide_4_Year_20170721.pdf

I posted a link to the transfer guidelines

May 16, 2018, 8:57 PM

Fot the NCAA for 2017 to 2018 in an earlier thread as well as their FAQ:
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/get-facts-about-transfers

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017-18_Transfer_Guide_4_Year_20170721.pdf

He will play for South Carolina against us in 2019. There

May 16, 2018, 9:17 PM

are no other division 1 schools close to his family. If Clemson were to prevent him from playing for a team on our schedule, that would mean Clemson prevented him from playing D1 since his reason for transferring is to be near his mother. If not for the health issue, I'm sure he wouldn't be transferring. If no health issue and he wanted to transfer, Clemson would not have allowed him to go to a conference team or a team on our schedule.

It sucks because of the time Clemson invested in recruiting him, taking him instead of someone else, educating him for a semester, room and board, and preparing him. He looked fantastic in the Spring Game. It sucks, but there was really no way to avoid it because he is dealing with a family health issue. Family member's health vs football game = no contest.

It sucks and it seems these freak ways of losing highly ranked recruits happens to us more than others. One a couple of years ago quit playing football, was just tired of football, a top-1000 linebacker. All he missed was three conference titles, 3 playoff appearances, two national championship games and a national championship.

I imagine Belk had no other choice. USUCK is 1 hour and 1 minute from FT. Lawn, while Clemson is 2 hours and 35 minutes away from his hometown. That may not sound like a lot, but if you are talking multiple trips, maybe every week or every other day, it is significant.

If either of my parents were ill, I'd probably have to stay where I am to keep my career position and I'd make a long trip every weekend. If either were seriously ill and all I had to do to be closer was to transfer schools, I'd probably do it in a heartbeat. For all we know it might break Belk's heart that he is having to leave Clemson, but like I said, family health should and does win out over just about anything.

Replies: 8
| visibility 2,794
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic