Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Beer & Davidson Struggling?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,173

Beer & Davidson Struggling?

Mar 13, 2017, 1:48 AM

Both Davidson and Beer seem to be struggling these last few games, both of them went 1-9 in the series vs ND. Making for Davidson a 1-13 week, and for Beer a 2-14 week. Now both of them are under .250 BA, Davidson .246, Beer .229. Beer was hitting close to .400 this time last year. Wonder if anyone can shine a light onto why both are struggling so much? Davidson was hitting .333 last week before the Usuck series. Hes not even swinging at fastballs in favorable counts. Good thing is Rohlman and Pinder are just tearing it up! I would like to see a line up similiar to this in one of the week day games this week vs Yale.

1. Jolly DH .379
2. Rolhman LF .333
3. Beer RF .229
4. Pinder CF .389
5. Cox 1B .333
6. Williams C .286
7. Davidson SS .246
8. Byrd 2B .250
9. Cromwell 3B .182

Hope Beer can get his average back up right now he only has 1 double on the season, it seems like if he doesnt get a HR he doesnt get a hit.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Two different animals, in my opinion...

Mar 13, 2017, 2:48 AM

I think Beer is pressing just a little bit, however, he also is not getting a lot of easy pitches to hit. He is getting pitched around a ton and they are making it tough for him to barrel them up. That is how they'll pitch to him all season. Even though some of the guys are hitting really, really well, there aren't any other BIG bats in the order that teams are scared of that can insulate Seth in the line-up. Chris Williams or Weston Jackson heating up could help eventually as they have the pop... but even then, Beer is so well known that they still may not throw to him. He affects teams just by being in the line-up, even when he doesn't get a hit, and that is the sign of a really good hitter.

Logan is another story. Very, VERY talented kid but he is an honest to goodness true freshman. I often say he is the most frustrating player on the team to watch because you never know what you're getting from play to play. He makes some spectacular swings and defensive plays look easy and then the next second botches something routine. As I said, VERY talented though. I can definitely understand why Coach Lee is allowing him to go through his growing pains on the field because his upside is tremendous. I think as the season continues, he will settle in and "grow up", so to speak. Watch out for Davidson come early May and into Regionals.

As an aside, I like your proposed line-up. I would probably platoon Reed and Weston Jackson. I know Weston's average is low but I contend that it's deceptively low. He has hit a lot of balls nicely and had some real quality ABs that just haven't translated into hits yet. Heck, he was robbed of a HR on Saturday. Additionally, he's a good defender. I really believe that, as the season progresses and he stays in the line-up a bit, some of his loud outs will translate to hits and his average will rise.

^^^^^Good call^^^^^

Mar 13, 2017, 6:14 AM

Beer has been getting pitched as hard as any college player. All he sees is junk!! When he does connect, its a game changer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Re: Beer & Davidson Struggling?

Mar 13, 2017, 6:29 AM

Beer has the highest OBP on the team. His 20 walks and 4 HBP are all pluses. Obviously being pitched around. I saw him hit to left field more often last year. With the shift they put on him, if he can go left his average will move up markedly. Since he isnt seeing strikes, I would not agree he is struggling. But it has to be frustrating for a guy who likes to hit like him.

To your point

Mar 13, 2017, 8:25 AM

When Beer came to bat with the bases loaded against Michigan State, their pitcher worked him to a 3-2 count then could not bring himself to walk in a run. He gave him his best fast ball instead.

I haven't heard a confirmed report that that ball has landed yet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Beer's On Base Percentage for Beer is outstanding!

Mar 13, 2017, 9:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Beer & Davidson Struggling? ]

Last year at this time, the other teams were pitching to him because they didn't know his capabilities. And he also had Okie to protect him.

This year, nobody is giving him much to hit ... especially with men on base. The few times they've pitched to him, he's made them pay (SCAR for example).

It will only get worse unless the guys in the #1 and #2 spots begin to get on base frequently and the guy hitting behind Beer get a little more potent at the plate.

Re: Beer's On Base Percentage for Beer is outstanding!

Mar 13, 2017, 9:03 AM

He has had plenty of runners on base and except maybe the Coots, he has been pitched to.
They have walked him a bunch yeah but he has had pitches to hit.
The fact is beer is slumping but he will be just fine.

Clemson GOATs tend to get off to slow starts. See DW4

Mar 13, 2017, 6:50 AM

I think Beer will be fine.

Logan looks great to me as a true Freshman.

Mar 13, 2017, 7:22 AM

Do think he needs to stop batting as a righty.

Beer is obviously having a mental slump. Hopefully he comes out of soon and gets back to being the GOAT.

Mar 13, 2017, 7:31 AM

if it is all the same to you i would rather let coach lee make out the lineup card since he is, i dont know, the coach. geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 13, 2017, 7:46 AM

OP possibly doesn't understand the dichotomy of the game of baseball (or team sports). Possibly.

Bottom line: Beer is fine.

That said, I wish guys like Pinder, Jolly, Cox, Beer, and Williams would work with the other guys and tell them their secret to getting contact on the ball.

fwiw: I don't see Greene's name on the lineup list.

Mar 13, 2017, 8:59 AM

Looks like he understands baseball fine to me.
He is just stating facts.

Sounds like baseball to me?

Mar 13, 2017, 8:27 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 13, 2017, 8:56 AM

The UVA series will tell where we stand in the ACC.
Louisville, FSU, UNC,GT and NCST are going to be tough teams to beat.
Our pitching has looked good but has not really face a strong hitting team yet.
This team is a lot better than the last 4-5 years Jack had the team so I trust Lee will use what he has the best way possible.

He hasn't been getting a lot of pitches either. He gets

Mar 13, 2017, 9:07 AM

walked when we have men on base. Also he is still hitting the long ball when teams are forced to pitch to him.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,173
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic