Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why I am so frustrated
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Why I am so frustrated

Dec 1, 2013, 1:06 PM

Could someone please explain to me how our team has gotten progressively better over the past 5 years and yet our performance against the coots gets progressively worse?

This game matters more than any other on our schedule. And how you play the game matters. I could stomach another loss to these A$$ CLOWNS if we played a decent game, but we played awful yet again in this game. This South Carolina team is not the same caliber on defense as it was the prior 3 years. When it's happened 5 years in a row, it's not a fluke. It's a pattern.

So how do we fix this???

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can only surmise that the team doesn't care.

Dec 1, 2013, 1:11 PM

The sideline was deadpan the entire game. It's either fear or apathy or some combination.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They've gotten better faster and have a more experienced HC***

Dec 1, 2013, 1:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

SC is not better on defense this year.

Dec 1, 2013, 1:17 PM

And only 1 of our 6 turnovers last night was caused by them.

Re: Because last year's SC defense was ELITE, despite many

Dec 1, 2013, 1:49 PM

who were proclaiming that the 2012 version wasn't as good as the 2011 verson and would be easy pickings.

Even with SCs supposed "collapse" on defense, it is still in the 15 to 23 range of college defenses. They compete on every snap and usually make teams earn every score.

This was the youngest SC has been on defense in nearly 6 years and yet still held Clemson to 17 pts.

Re: Which one did they cause?

Dec 1, 2013, 1:53 PM [ in reply to SC is not better on defense this year. ]

This kind of post surely was made by a coot trying to make it appear our posters are silly.

Silly me, I thought the three interceptions were caught by a coot but I guess we caught the ball and handed it to them. Oh and the two fumbles were stripped by some ghost of Ray Tanner. Go back to your own board.

If you honestly believe the 6 turnovers were the result

Dec 1, 2013, 3:11 PM

of good defense, you are an absolute idiot. Stop making excuses for poor performance. I count Tajh's fumble as the 1 turnover caused by Carolina, and that's being generous. The others aren't even close.

1) A poorly lobbed pass by Sammy on a trick play we didn't have any need of running considering how well we were moving the ball on the first drive.
2) A muffed punt because Martavis Bryant stupidly ran into Humphries on the punt return. Utterly inexcusable.
3) A fumble on a punt return by Humphries because he did not secure the ball well upon catching the ball (not to mention he should have taken a fair catch with all that traffic)
4) A poorly thrown ball by Tajh right to the defense (any D1 player would have made that pick)
5) Same as #4

Criticizing poor performance does not make me a coot. I'm being realistic. I'm sick and tired of some on here who act like if you attempt to point out areas where we need to improve in order to become a more successful program, you are a coot and not a true fan. We have had pretty good teams 4 out of the last 5 years, yet have played awful in each game against Carolina. Last night was by far the worst performance during the course of the streak, because we didn't make them earn it at all. We handed them the game, plain and simple. This is the most important game of the season. The mentality MUST change.

I like Dabo. He has helped the program take great strides. But at a certain point, you have to be able to at least occasionally defeat your arch rival in the most important game you play every season. Not only has he lost 5 in a row, but he hasn't mentally put the team in a position to win, and last night is the most obvious example of that. If we lose next year to these clowns in Death Valley, DABO HAS GOT TO GO.

Re: Why I am so frustrated

Dec 1, 2013, 1:13 PM

Contrast what we have done over five years with what Auburn has done since last year. How about What Meyer has done over two years? But, hey, we beat Georgia!

Good point

Dec 1, 2013, 1:21 PM

At a certain point, you have to realistic about where the program is. Both Ohio State and Auburn (with a tremendous amount of luck) fixed their problems immediately. How much longer will it take us?

Re: Good point

Dec 1, 2013, 1:24 PM

I'm beginning to worry that Dabo isn't capable.

Dec 1, 2013, 1:29 PM

Me too :(

Dec 1, 2013, 1:30 PM [ in reply to Good point ]

Just guessing - around 20 years

Dec 1, 2013, 1:22 PM

They are getting the benifit of the sec the acc has gone soft

Dec 1, 2013, 1:29 PM

....it seems that there is a contrast of philosophies between us and the SEC...we use the Zig Zigler/Paul Harvey approach with positive mental attitude at other motivational tools where they use the Vince Lombardi approach of toughening their guys up...and Dabo played for Gene Stallings which I would have hoped some of that toughness his Alabama teams had would have been engrained in him....

You won't like it, but there isn't a ### thing that could

Dec 1, 2013, 1:25 PM

have or should have been done differently from a coaching standpoint last night. Our gameplan was good and as long as we held on to the ball, it worked.

It makes everybody feel better if there is a boogeyman, somebody to blame; that makes the solution seem simple - get rid of the boogeyman. Unfortunately, it isn't always that simple, and having panties in a wad doesn't make it so.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: You won't like it, but there isn't a ### thing that could

Dec 1, 2013, 1:28 PM

That's probably what Dabo is saying this morning.

I'm sure, even more than any of us, it doesn't make him

Dec 1, 2013, 1:33 PM

feel one bit better, but he's certainly smart enough, unlike many of us, to realize it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: You won't like it, but there isn't a ### thing that could

Dec 1, 2013, 1:33 PM [ in reply to You won't like it, but there isn't a ### thing that could ]

not from a gameday preparation standpoint, but if you think the fact that South Carolina has outscored Clemson 62-0, yes, 62-0 off turnovers is just bad luck, well, I don't know what to say.

Preventing and creating turnovers is absolutely about coaching. It's something that has to do with coaches and players in practice. It's a focus.

Notice when Watkins went for the trick play pass, USC's safety was back and in position to play the deep ball. When Pharoh Cooper went for the pass, both of Clemson's safeties had already bitten hard on the run and NOBODY was back to stop Brandon WIlds. Notice earlier in the game when a designed double pass to bruce ellington was called that instead of putting the ball up lke Watkins did, he tucked it for a short gain.

That's coaching. That's drilling your players in the fundamentals of assignment football and taking care of the ball.

62-0 on points off turnovers isn't a coincidence.

Like I said, a lot of people won't like it.

Dec 1, 2013, 1:49 PM

We do coach those things. We do ball security drills. We work on coverages and recognition almost year-round.

As for the previous 4 years, I do think there were coaching mistakes, and in most of those games, we did get out coached. Not so last night. Our players failed to execute. They were motivated. They played extremely hard. They weren't scared. They just effed up.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Like I said, a lot of people won't like it.

Dec 1, 2013, 1:59 PM

you can simply coach those things, sleepwalking through drills, or you can coach them well, having your players being focused and taking the lessons into the game.

Players failing to execute ***IS*** coaching. Preparing your players throughout the week in practice so that they execute on saturday is THE MOST FUNDAMENTAL, MOST IMPORTANT aspect of coaching. People think coaching is about play calling and gameplanning. That's actually a relatively small part of coaching. The biggest part of coaching is having your players ready to play so they execute. Well coached teams' players execute. Poorly coached teams say 'well the plays seemed right, the players have to execute."

They're the players you recruited, they're the players you trained 6 days out of the week, they're the plays you called on saturday.

If we rule out luck, and 62-0 in terns of points off turnovers isn't luck, then it's either:

1) Poor recruiting - ie not recruiting players who are good enough mentally to be coachable
2) poor 'through the week' coaching, ie addressing fundamentals in practice effectively.
3) poor 'gameday' coaching ie calling an unnecessary trick play on the opening drive

If it's not luck, and again, 62-0 points off turnover margin in the 5 games isn't luck, then the only thing left is the staff, in one way or the other.

Either they're not recruiting players who can succeed in this sort of atmosphere or they're not coaching them to succeed in this atmosphere. It is absolutely that simple.

Sure it's that simple - if you rule out luck.

Dec 1, 2013, 3:08 PM

At the end of the day, it always comes back to the head coach. He is ultimately accountable for his record; as it must be. That doesn't always mean he is totally directly responsible for it. He can't be.

I think you massively overestimate the effect coaching has on fumbles, and underestimate (or totally discount) the role of luck. I doubt there is anything that is stressed more to our players, or any single thing that is drilled more. There is no way for you and I to know, but to surmise that it is due to a lack of proper preparation is little more than looking for that proverbial boogeyman.

There are lots of examples where teams have an uncharacteristic turnover-plagued game. Did they lose their focus at the exact time of the turnover? Almost always. Did they practice or prepare any differently that week, particularly with less focus on turnover prevention? Of course not. As hard as it is to accept - it just happens.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Sure it's that simple - if you rule out luck.

Dec 1, 2013, 4:07 PM

It's been chronic, repeated, and predictable during big games under Dabo Swinney. If you want to call that "bad luck" well, I don't know what to tell you. Those turnovers were absolutely not bad luck last night. Just like the fact that during this streak South Carolina outscoring Clemson 62-0 in points off turnovers isn't bad luck. But if you want to think it is, well, I just don't even know what to say.

If the saying goes "once is luck, twice is a coincidence, three times is a pattern" what does that make five times?

It doesn't make me feel any better to blame the boogeyman.

Dec 1, 2013, 1:36 PM [ in reply to You won't like it, but there isn't a ### thing that could ]

I think that when a pretty good team plays awful against their arch rival 5 years in a row, that's a major cultural problem. At least half of this is mental. And it's widespread. I haven't been impressed with South Carolina this year, especially the defense. I'm still not impressed with them. We had the more talented team but absolutely didn't show up mentally. Par for the course the last 5 years.

Dec 1, 2013, 1:52 PM

The dumb DE for the Gamecocks answered that one . Get pressure on Tajh & he gets rattled

We haven't really gotten better, our conference has gotten

Dec 1, 2013, 2:20 PM

worse.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let it go. The ACC is miles better than it was when TB was

Dec 1, 2013, 3:09 PM

here.

Re: Let it go. The ACC is miles better than it was when TB was

Dec 1, 2013, 3:11 PM

i'll have whatever you are drinking. ACC was decent when TB was here. Now it is embarrassingly bad. Duke went 10-2, my god.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic