Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
John Theus and Kolton Houston are big keys for Uga
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

John Theus and Kolton Houston are big keys for Uga

Aug 21, 2014, 10:36 PM

I've been watching them trying to block Aub last year. Not good.
Speed rushers going right around them, both jumping on a few occasions. I expect Beasley to scare them to death.

Uga started 3 Sr's on the OL at Aub last yr, and they didn't look good.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: John Theus and Kolton Houston are big keys for Uga

Aug 21, 2014, 10:37 PM

is this the same LT that Beastly had his way with last year?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2014, 10:39 PM

Yep same guy. Uga OT are the weak spot on there offense.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2014, 10:41 PM

I hope Mason likes being the creme in the middle.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He likes the creme in the middle.

Aug 22, 2014, 3:53 PM

But doesn't like being the creme in the middle. Does that make sense? I hope that helps.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2014, 10:43 PM [ in reply to Re: John Theus and Kolton Houston are big keys for Uga ]

No. That was Kenarious Gates.

Aug 21, 2014, 10:38 PM

Watch our game from last yr. Theus got beat many times by our ends and Grady and DeShawn were pushing them into the backfield a lot. I expect more next Saturday night.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Aug 21, 2014, 10:42 PM

Watch that same line in a home game. It's a stark difference. UGA stuggles with the silent count on the road, but excels with controlling the DL by varying the count at home. I've noticed it for years.

Which game would be the best from last yr to watch, LSU?

Aug 21, 2014, 10:46 PM

There is something to that, but they looked overmatched often, physically.
WHat that does is severly limit downfield plays, or forces the O to keep the TE in to help.

I'll watch them in a home game and see if there is a difference. Tomorrow. I'm going to bed now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Which game would be the best from last yr to watch, LSU?

Aug 21, 2014, 10:51 PM

Coots and/or LSwhoo would be good ones. Both had athletically gifted defenses.

Aug 22, 2014, 9:02 AM

> Coots and/or LSwhoo would be good ones. Both had
> athletically gifted defenses.

Agree.

Playing at home vs. on the road seemed to be night/day difference for our OL last year.

We executed a great game plan for Clowney last year, although I think he has 1 sack but overall he had a pretty avg game.

I also think we will run right at Beasley (not necessarily attempting to test his manhood and trying to take him on 1 on 1) but one of the best ways to neutralize a fast DE is to run right at him. Should be interesting to watch our plan for him... we will def try to account for him.

Coot Defense wasn't that great last year

Aug 22, 2014, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Which game would be the best from last yr to watch, LSU? ]

We ran all over them until we started turning the ball over, and over, and over.

Aug 22, 2014, 10:34 AM [ in reply to Which game would be the best from last yr to watch, LSU? ]

Here's a link to the LSU at UGA game, and it should pick up at the 3:17 mark. It's in the middle of UGA's first drive, and it's something that UGA is really good at doing. Draw the DL into the neutral zone with a hard count and then have the center quick snap to catch a penalty and the shot at a free play. It's something that is seen at least once or twice every UGA home game.

http://youtu.be/6zcTs2eI5TU?t=3m17s

It may seem like a minor detail, but when dealing with athletics at this level, it's those minor things that make big differences.

Most teams have something like this, it's not UGA-specific

Aug 22, 2014, 11:23 AM

Happens all the time. We do the same thing.

Never said it was

Aug 22, 2014, 11:36 AM

Of course all teams do this.

That being said, this is the reason why the UGA OL vs. Clemson DL battle will be more even this year. Last year it was decidedly in favor of Clemson, as that half step advantage compounded with great talent overwhelmed the UGA OL. This year's battle will be more evenly matched UGA being able to gain that split second back to their favor.

Because Clemson hasn't prepared for or faced this before?

Aug 22, 2014, 1:31 PM

I mean, really. This is screwy logic at its finest. It's not much of an advantage if it's sort of the defacto thing that most offenses do when they can.

Re: Because Clemson hasn't prepared for or faced this before?

Aug 22, 2014, 2:30 PM

It isn't about Clemson preparing for it, never seeing it before, or always seeing it.

It's about understanding a nuance of the game, and how it effects the battles in the trenches.

That's like saying Gurley getting diarrhea might slow him

Aug 22, 2014, 5:31 PM

You are stating the obvious and making it sound like some profound point.

This won't be a factor.

Hmm, watched the 1st half. Seems both 71 and 75 played RT

Aug 22, 2014, 3:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Which game would be the best from last yr to watch, LSU? ]

and they do okay at being in the way. Rarely were they left on an island against a DE, TE help and quick passes were more common.
Also, LSU didn't try to exploit the RT much, a lot of loops back into the middle. The middle of the OL was pretty good in that game.
When either was left 1on1 against a DE they looked bad.

But, I think ya'll will not be throwing deep except on fade routes and in max-protect.

I still think you're O will struggle mightily.

Aug 22, 2014, 1:54 PM [ in reply to Re: John Theus and Kolton Houston are big keys for Uga ]

That's ok we averaged more TFL and Sacks per game on the road last season.

Aug 22, 2014, 4:34 AM

Our seniors under-performed greatly, and were a known weakness on the line. The key to what you just said is that John Theus is now playing on his natural side at left tackle, and Kolton Houston is in a position that better suits him. However, I agree whole heartedly that Theus will have his hands full with Beasley, and we may even be forced to run a fb/te that pays a little extra attention to Beasley. Also, they could use a technique of running the ball right at him.(One which we used against Clowney quite effectively).. Gonna be a good game man! I can't wait.

Vic will eat that up. Clowney had no interest whatsoever in

Aug 22, 2014, 7:00 AM

stopping the run game. He didn't even want to be in the game unless it were an obvious passing down.

Beastly plays a complete game. Run it at him. He'll set it up and Tony Steward will tee off on it.

The definition of awesome!

Re: Vic will eat that up. Clowney had no interest whatsoever in

Aug 22, 2014, 8:34 AM

Beasley had zero tackles last season vs. UGA.....zero. he is a liability against the run.

Vic did have a couple of sacks.....just run Gurley right down his throat and he'll be worthless in the 2nd half.

Aug 22, 2014, 8:44 AM

^^^^Dawg just lost all credibility with that post. Sorry dude - find another sport to analyze.

Aug 22, 2014, 8:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Vic will eat that up. Clowney had no interest whatsoever in ]

Isn't a sack a tackle? YEp, just lost all credibility saying a sack isn't a tackle...

ESECPN seems to call them tackles:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/501679/vic-beasley

trust me, Vic is mainly going after Hutson....

Besides, Jarrett and Anthony had many of the tackles...expect the similar this year:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/511207/grady-jarrett
http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/511197/stephone-anthony

Aug 22, 2014, 9:05 AM

I love that you supported your analysis with sources :D, very cool. That is a rarity.

Aug 22, 2014, 10:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Vic will eat that up. Clowney had no interest whatsoever in ]

To quote your HBC "Wow"
Vic played great. By the way Vic did plenty against USuCk and THE OSwho. Since they were praised running teams that struggled, I see the same fate for the pups.

#75 does okay against a bull rush, but looks like he's in

Aug 22, 2014, 3:49 PM

concrete against quickness.

I'll be watching the OT vs DE matchups during the game. I think we win it easily, but we will see.

Went to high school w/ john theus

Aug 22, 2014, 3:52 PM

Kids a player...wish we could've picked him up but they gave his brother (a long snapper) a scholly to get him

He's not quick enough yet to block Vic though, so not worried.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic