Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We should all be watching the ACC/Maryland lawsuit
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

We should all be watching the ACC/Maryland lawsuit

Nov 29, 2012, 9:17 AM

if this thing goes sideways for the ACC then FSU is out the door fast. They voted against the raise in exit fees and that penalty is all that is holding this league together at this point.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/feed/2012-08/firstand10/story/college-football-realignment-maryland-acc-50-million-buyout-sec-big-ten-pac-12

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We should all be watching the ACC/Maryland lawsuit

Nov 29, 2012, 9:20 AM

Agree that's a definite possibility, although I hope the Louisville move will pacify them. What I'm wondering is, whyyyy in god's name did we vote pro-buyout? Does Clemson have any sort of competent legal department at all? I'm not necessarily pro-leaving the ACC, but any halfway decent attorney would have advised the school to vote AGAINST the $50 mill, just so that we could have a strong unconscionability argument if the time came when we did need to get out. Should always have planned for that contingency.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because Barker relishes being the "diplomat"...

Nov 29, 2012, 9:21 AM

"trying to save the conference."

I bet he is making a play to become the next conference commish when Swoffy leaves/goes down.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Excuse me? I don't go down to your work and tell you how to flip the burger!"

Re: Because Barker relishes being the "diplomat"...

Nov 29, 2012, 9:24 AM

Gotta love putting the interests of the conference ahead of the interests of your school. But hey, he's pretty good at doing pushups in a tiger outfit, so he's not all bad... ;)

Nov 29, 2012, 9:35 AM

were those pushups or was he genuflecting at the altar of US News

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2012, 9:38 AM

Hahaha +1. Yes, while we were counting the pushups, he was muttering "Top 20, Top 20, Top 20..."

i agree with you....

Nov 29, 2012, 9:24 AM [ in reply to Re: We should all be watching the ACC/Maryland lawsuit ]

kind of makes you wonder if they knew that Maryland or FSU were going to make a move. put our name on it to show some support but secretly sit back and let one of the other schools fight the legal battle.

regardless if we supported or didn't support the exit fee passed. the acc is going to attempt to sue for it. when and if they lose then i think one will see Big12 and SEC raid the conference.

I'm no lawyer, but just because they voted

Nov 29, 2012, 9:24 AM [ in reply to Re: We should all be watching the ACC/Maryland lawsuit ]

against the buyout doesn't mean they don't have to pay it if they leave.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Re: I'm no lawyer, but just because they voted

Nov 29, 2012, 9:27 AM

Not necessarily, no. But there's a workable argument for the school that voted against the buyout in that court battle, especially since Maryland's annual operating budget is something like 2X less than that $50 mill (someone correct me if that's wrong). They can argue that the amount is unconscionable, AND they didn't agree to it, and had no negotiating power. Since we voted pro-buyout, we have a much taller hill to climb if we wanted to reduce the amount.

True, but I think you can make that same argument

Nov 29, 2012, 9:29 AM

no matter how you voted.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Re: True, but I think you can make that same argument

Nov 29, 2012, 9:30 AM

I agree, just makes it a bit harder to say you had no negotiating power when you voted for the buyout.

Nov 29, 2012, 9:29 AM [ in reply to Re: We should all be watching the ACC/Maryland lawsuit ]

the only time I ever remember us going against the conf was the 9th conf game fandango. otherwise we are complete Swoff toadies. it was idiotic of CU to vote to increase the exit fee.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We signed because Barker was the head cheerleader.***

Nov 29, 2012, 9:39 AM [ in reply to Re: We should all be watching the ACC/Maryland lawsuit ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2012, 9:28 AM

Well if $50 mil will not hold up then probably Grant of rights will not hold up. H3ll maybe even TV contracts will not hold up.
It's not like the signees of these agreements can plead ignorance (college presidents) nor insanity (though I would argue this one for the BIG and Big 12.)

I really think we need a mutiny

Nov 29, 2012, 9:31 AM

How possible would it be for like 7 members of the ACC to get together and vote to dissolve the league?

Think about it.... approach the Big XII and say "look, we want to give you an eastern division and turn you into the super conference of the country, but we are all going to join at the same time after the ACC flops."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It could take

Nov 29, 2012, 9:43 AM

years to settle this. Hope they come to an agreement out of court , maybe some sort of arbitration deal that would be reasonable and would set a lower figure to negotiate from in the future.

If Clemson had even the slightest interest.....

Nov 29, 2012, 9:59 AM

leaving the ACC, the administration was foolish to vote in favor of increasing the exit fee.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: If Clemson had even the slightest interest.....

Nov 29, 2012, 10:02 AM

yyyyyup. Even if we DIDN'T have interest, it was foolish. At least, if the conference falls apart or FSU leaves or anything, we have a plan in place to get out on the cheap. What was the motivation of going pro-buyout? Solidarity? Give me a break. That was just poor decision-making. I think we'll be fine as-is, but being careful and self-interested with business decisions like that is always the way to go.

In the absence of genuine quality leadership....

Nov 29, 2012, 10:05 AM

Swofford is left with little option but to impose rediculously high punitive exit fees in some week attempt to stabilize the league.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: In the absence of genuine quality leadership....

Nov 29, 2012, 10:09 AM

Right. Why give us incentives to stay, when you could just impose huge disincentives to leave?

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic