Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Completely biased view of Clemson's Loss
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Completely biased view of Clemson's Loss

Dec 2, 2013, 11:03 AM

Maybe it's just me, but here's what I saw Saturday night:

1. Turnovers. Clemson can't point to this loss and lament the turnovers. What is not discussed, however, is that Carolina forced the majority: Two INT's were directly due to coverage and pressure on Boyd, Boyd was stripped of the ball, and one fumble on the punt was stripped. The muffed punt was one you can put squarely on the Clemson player. You can't play "ifs and buts"...under that premise you assume Carolina played a perfect game. Far from it...Carolina can point to a lot of points left on the field due to mistakes.

2. LOS- Clemson obviously sold out to stop the run and the interior line dominated. That said, Carolina's plan was to use the rush against Clemson and use Connor Shaw as a running back. If I'm BV...I put a "spy" on CS in the second half.

3. Atmosphere- I had a blast and, as usual, didn't see the fist fights, defecation, bottle throwing, swearing, etc. I've read on here. My favorite thus far is the "story" from a Mizzou fan that came to WB this year. Uh, we played them in Columbia MO. oops. We enjoyed the Clemson folks around us and good natured ribbing...all in all both sides acted in a classy manner although I'm sure there's a "fringe" element (.001%) that showed their ###...both sides.

4. Maybe it's just me but I'm guessing Dabo would like to take back his "if i only won 35 games I should be fired..." comment in his rant. When Spurrier was at Fla he had it in for UGA and I suspect that one is under his craw with Clemson. Dabo keeps losing, by double digits to Carolina he may get his wish.

Anyway, it was another fun Palmetto Bowl (for obvious reasons) and I'll be in Clemson next year. Always enjoy it and always enjoy the banter and have no patience for "coot" or "tater" but it is what it is.

Good luck in the Orange Bowl...not sure I'd wanna face Bama but should make for good TV.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

don't agree with your reason for the two interceptions...

Dec 2, 2013, 11:07 AM

at all. Terrible decisions. Tajh threw the balls right to the guys.

On point number 4, I think Spurrier was thoroughly embarrassed that Dabo beat him when he was the interim coach. I think this game is much more important to him than he lets on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Beating Clemson is ALL that has saved Spurrier at SCU...

Dec 2, 2013, 11:16 AM

so of course it is important to him (probably more important than he lets on).

He certainly hasn't done much else in the way of winning championships or getting $CU to BCS Bowl games.

He is effectively $CU's version of Tommy Bowden.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

How many 11 win seasons did Bowden have?***

Dec 2, 2013, 11:22 AM

and what, exactly has that gotten them?***

Dec 2, 2013, 11:39 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It hasn't gotten them an epic beatdown in a BCS bowl yet

Dec 2, 2013, 11:58 AM

maybe next year

Re: Beating Clemson is ALL that has saved Spurrier at SCU...

Dec 2, 2013, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Beating Clemson is ALL that has saved Spurrier at SCU... ]

Well maybe winning 11 games back to back, possibly 3 with a bowl win, and finishing in the top 10 3 years in a row has a little to do with us liking Spurrier. He said from day 1 that if we got competitive in the SEC, the Clemson game would take care of itself.

I agree with you.... and it has

Dec 2, 2013, 11:31 AM

whether we like it or not

not gonna spin it

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

So in other words....

Dec 2, 2013, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Beating Clemson is ALL that has saved Spurrier at SCU... ]

you hired him to beat Clemson.

Winning championships and playing in BCS Bowl games doesn't matter?

I disagree...

Dec 2, 2013, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Beating Clemson is ALL that has saved Spurrier at SCU... ]

Outside of this message board, going three straight seasons with double digit wins is a BIG deal in the SEC. Heck anywhere its a big deal...including Clemson. In addition, he's beaten Clemson five in a row at a time when you could say Clemson has never been better. He's also notched a win over #1 Alabama and, this year alone, beat the #5 and #6 team in the country. Not to mention a one lost #15 UCF squad on the road.

His recruiting has been solid and he has built the LOS to win. There is not a high school student in the State of South Carolina that has witnessed a Clemson win over Carolina. The last students that witnessed a Clemson win over Carolina were in 7th grade at the time.

He wants an SEC title and it's frustrating as heck. Three straight years of beating the SECE rep to the SECCG.

Tommy Bowden beat some really crappy USC teams. Your comparison is not even close IMO.

the things you say are absolutely correct.... especially

Dec 2, 2013, 11:32 AM

how he's built the team from the LOS up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

On the turnovers...

Dec 2, 2013, 11:11 AM

The two interceptions don't matter a whole lot, because they only led to three points I believe. Yes, SC "forced" those int's, but I'm not sure Boyd is pressing as hard were it not for the fumble on the punt, which put Clemson down by two scores. The two muffed punts led to the two TD's that were the difference in the game. If those two don't happen, I'm not sure Boyd's int's (especially the second one) happen, and I'm not sure Clemson cares much about the interception on the WR throw or the fumble by Boyd.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good Point...

Dec 2, 2013, 11:13 AM

The punt fumbles would drive me nuts. Our special teams have killed us and, quite frankly, cost us the Tennessee game. Was nice to be on the other side for once.

You dont beat teams like Wake with 6 turnovers.

Dec 2, 2013, 11:16 AM

You can say anything you like but that is the bottom line.

Re: You dont beat teams like Wake with 6 turnovers.

Dec 2, 2013, 11:38 AM

Boyd's fumble was the killer. Clemson was still well in the game and driving for a tying TD in South Carolina territory. You can't fumble there.

The interceptions later were ugly but coming back at that point was a longshot based on the way South Carolina was playing D.

Re: Completely biased view of Clemson's Loss

Dec 2, 2013, 11:23 AM

No one gives a #### what a USC fan has to say.

Stay on your own #### board.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Your vocabulary is impressive, very classy***

Dec 2, 2013, 11:26 AM

Re: Your vocabulary is impressive, very classy***

Dec 2, 2013, 11:27 AM

So says another Chicken fan who is too big of a coward to actually get a USC screen name.

null

Well, you didn't use the word coot

Dec 2, 2013, 11:28 AM

maybe there is hope

wrong. both tds off to's came on self inflicted by Humphries***

Dec 2, 2013, 11:33 AM

That coot was not bashing us or talking like a normal coot

Dec 2, 2013, 11:34 AM

He actually has done brains so stop acting like sore losers and move on to the orange bowl

Re: Completely biased view of Clemson's Loss

Dec 2, 2013, 11:34 AM

Some*

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic