Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Beating Alabama = not possible without downfield passing threat
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

Beating Alabama = not possible without downfield passing threat

Apr 9, 2018, 12:07 AM

That's the only way to get their front 7 off balance and minimize destruction at the line. Deshaun did it twice. Kelly Bryant will never do it because he isn't a deep threat. And accuracy downfield is not a skill you learn.

Please please please start Hunter or Trevor.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

twice?***

Apr 9, 2018, 12:38 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: twice?***

Apr 9, 2018, 12:48 AM

Yes, even though Bama won the first time, Deshaun was still the reason we were even close due to his mid-deep throw accuracy.

But we DIDN'T beat them twice, and that was what he said***

Apr 9, 2018, 1:22 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Moronic Post of The Day***

Apr 9, 2018, 6:59 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Beating Alabama = not possible without downfield passing threat

Apr 9, 2018, 7:07 AM

I haven't studied our schedule but last I looked I didn't see Bama on it.

Apr 9, 2018, 7:17 AM

They just agreed to play us in the Spring game.That way we begin and end the season against Bama.

I agree with the assessment of what is needed but i'm a wait

Apr 9, 2018, 7:15 AM

and see on KB. I'm not so sure it wasn't our receivers. If we get some guys who can catch the ball and run a route then he might be OK. Deon and Ray Ray just never took it to the next level imo. We'll see I guess. Or it might be Deon was playing out of position because the some others didn't develop. Deon should have been the 2 man imo but that left the 9 man without a consistent presence.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Re: I agree with the assessment of what is needed but i'm a wait

Apr 9, 2018, 10:15 AM

I disagree a little on the Deon point. I saw Bryant over/underthrow a wide open Deon 35+ yards down field at least 10 times last year.

Deon's failure to maximize his potential last year was 90% on the QB.

Apr 9, 2018, 12:44 PM [ in reply to I agree with the assessment of what is needed but i'm a wait ]

Deon and Ray Ray each had better years statistically as back ups with Deshaun than they did as feature WRs with Kelly.

That alone tells you all you need to know.

Apr 9, 2018, 5:45 PM

How many yards/TDs did Deon miss out on because Kelly Bryant has a terrible deep ball? You could make a highlight real of Bryant over/under throwing easy Deon TDs.

Tell 'em coot

Apr 9, 2018, 8:13 AM

So you watched the Sugar Bowl?***

Apr 9, 2018, 8:35 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Apr 9, 2018, 8:48 AM

How many times did Auburn throw it downfield last season?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 9, 2018, 11:33 AM

Ok then, apologies. It is possible without the downfield passing threat as long as you play them at home in a huge rivalry game that they don't have to win.

That scenario won't ever apply to us.

"they didn't have to win"

Apr 9, 2018, 2:34 PM

That's probably the dumbest thing you've said in any of these dumb posts. What exactly are you implying here? That Bama didn't really try because they had 100% confidence in the committee selecting them anyway? You think they just mailed it in during a huge rivalry game with the division title and trip to the SECCG on the line? With Nick Saban as coach?

Alabama was a Wisconsin win over Ohio State away from missing the playoff last year BECAUSE they lost to Auburn. It's also possible that Auburn beating UGA could've put some other combination of teams like Auburn/UGA or Auburn/OSU into the playoff. It's also possible Bama was 1 or 2 committee member votes away from getting pushed out for OSU.. none of us were privy to those conversations.

Apr 9, 2018, 8:49 AM

What did Auburn do to beat them ? Was it their downfield passing threat ?
That same downfield passing threat that we completely throttled in our game with the War Eagle ?
Great Defense . That is all Bama needs to beat ya . You could have Dan Marino throwing to Larry Fitzgerald and Jerry Rice and if the defense is as good as Saban's squad then it doesn't matter ... usually .
Remember , we had a great QB and some outstanding catches made by some of our WR to beat them on a last second play .
Even with that same crew we lost to them the year before .
We just did not block as well and as expected Saban shut down the run .
Dod KB have a great game ? No . But was it KB's fault Clemson lost to Alabama ? Also no .
Go to work .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

No matter who starts at QB, receivers have to make plays

Apr 9, 2018, 9:41 AM

Our receivers did not make plays vs Bama when the game was on the line.

I want the best QB to start, but guys have got to make great catches no matter who is throwing the ball.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Moran: "accuracy downfield is not a

Apr 9, 2018, 9:44 AM

skill you learn."

May be dumbest statement in tigernet history.

Message was edited by: josephg®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 9, 2018, 9:46 AM

Gonna be a long summer.....

Apr 9, 2018, 11:02 AM

https://youtu.be/eYytRJ9eyTM

How is this not obvious to everyone?***

Apr 9, 2018, 11:21 AM

Apr 9, 2018, 11:32 AM

https://youtu.be/eYytRJ9eyTM

Apr 9, 2018, 11:34 AM

This video appears to be missing the 40 over/underthrows of wide open receivers that Kelly had last year.

Apr 9, 2018, 11:43 AM

Yes DW4 never over/under threw the ball and TL is surely not going to.

Apr 9, 2018, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Beating Alabama = not possible without downfield passing threat ]

Besides that you said KB will never be able to but yet there is video evidence of his capablities.

Apr 9, 2018, 11:52 AM

Can we seriously end this crap? It’s not debatable Trevor Lawrence and Hunter Johnson are far superior arm talents both bordering on generational type talent.

Question is where do they stand mentally? We know KB has a mental edge from proving it on the field but we also know he will never be DW4. The other 2 have DW4 ceilings but as young players a lower floor. Dabo will play the best overall player and honestly I’m hoping for the guy with a higher ceiling but I feel good about them all.

Apr 9, 2018, 12:42 PM

Yes, and it’s really hard to block when a really good defense stacks he box and dares you to throw it, and you still can’t.

Remember the play that opened up our offense when we won the natty? It was when Deshaun threw a screen pass to deon for a 50 yard gain. Screens used to be a huge part of our offense. That all ended last year because Kelly doesn’t have the arm strength to get the ball there in time.

We played a better bama defense the year we won and put up way more points. There is a reason that every starting WR last year had a better stats the year prior as back ups.

I like Kelly Bryant as a person. He is one hell of an athlete. He misses too many open receivers when he throws it. Other times i see wide open receivers and he doesn’t even throw it.

He has low interception numbers because he doesn’t take risks. He never makes an amazing throw. Also he gets the yips every now and again. He was absolutely horrible against nc state.

He’s a solid QB, but he is certainly no hunter johnson or Trevor Lawrence.

Apr 9, 2018, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Beating Alabama = not possible without downfield passing threat ]

Never said that they don't have better arms. I am just saying that KB has a good enough arm to get it done. I have seen him make all the throws he just needs to be more constant.

Apr 9, 2018, 12:46 PM

He doesn’t have a good enough arm to get it done. Did you not watch last season? We literally had no screen game because he didn’t have a good enough arm to get it done.

Apr 9, 2018, 2:20 PM

Yes I watch every play of every game. I have seen him put the screen pass right on the money but also have seen him over throw it. I have not seen him weak arm it and not get it there quickly to many times.

Apr 9, 2018, 4:18 PM

He weak armed several screen passes this year, very noticeable difference between he and KB on the screen passes.

Apr 9, 2018, 12:09 PM

Beating Alabama or any good team is not possible unless our OL opens up holes for the running game and gives the QB sufficient time for a mid-field or downfield pass.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 9, 2018, 5:49 PM

Newsflash- our OL has no chance against a top defense when the D can put 9 on the box knowing the QB is limited to QB draws and WR slants.

Well Alabama just beat Clemson without a downfield passing

Apr 9, 2018, 2:25 PM

threat. It's certainly difficult, but not impossible.

He didn't say you have to have one to beat anyone, just Bama

Apr 9, 2018, 7:45 PM

When is the last time Bama lost a game versus a team that didn't stretch the field?

It's possible

Apr 9, 2018, 2:33 PM

We faced a similar front seven when we played Auburn and won. You just have to play very sound, mistake free football, and that didn't happen against Bama.

Re: It's possible

Apr 9, 2018, 2:39 PM

Alabama just makes you pay for every single mistake. I haven't watched any highlights or replays of that annihilation smh.

Apr 9, 2018, 2:39 PM

AUBURN says Hi!

Until the Interception on the tip we were moving and had a shot.

Bama is not, has not been and never will be unbeatable!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 9, 2018, 2:51 PM

Exactly. People act like KB has no chance at beating the as our qb. I don't get it.

We of course can win with KB against anyone, especially with

Apr 9, 2018, 4:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Beating Alabama = not possible without downfield passing threat ]

the defense we have.

However, my opinion is that the QB's with better arm talent give us a better chance.

Also remember that we got a turnover after the half and had the ball at the Bama 20, and proceeded to lose 5 yards and kick a field goal.

That was before the interception, which was a 33 yard drive with 67% of those yards coming via the ground, not the air, which is what I've mostly seen statements regarding KB and his "short comings," if you want to call them that.

Re: We of course can win with KB against anyone, especially with

Apr 9, 2018, 4:47 PM

Can the QB with better arm talent command the O, get the yards on the ground that we need from our qb, and not turn the ball over? We do not know that about our young guys. Our coaches don't know except from what they have seen in practice which is a lot more than any of us. Whoever wins the job will be the best option imo. The coaches know more than us. Arm talent does not make you a good qb. It can help for sure and maybe a good QB with a really good arm can be great but there is much more to being a QB than having a good arm.

Apr 9, 2018, 4:54 PM

You're correct, but with our offense *normally* revolving around passing the ball the majority of the time I would say that arm talent is a pretty important aspect of playing the position.

It's funny you bring up commanding the O, because I don't think KB was that great at reading defenses (pre and post-snap), adjusting protections, or calling audibles at the line this year.

That is the thing that really set DW4 apart from any QB I've watched play at Clemson, and is certainly an intangible he was gifted with and worked on to perfect.

We've also heard from the coaches that the other QBs are mobile as well, so I don't think that getting yards on the ground will be an issue, especially since the read is the most important aspect of that and there were plenty of times KB made the wrong read on the option.

Like I said, I think we can win with KB but a better arm talent would give us a better chance. Arm talent isn't the end all, be all, but the job of the QB is to throw the ball to the receivers and is the basis for our offense aside from last year (why would that be?).

Apr 9, 2018, 5:12 PM

You can argue all day but you and I have seen KB make the throws so idk why you say he doesn't have the arm talent. He may not have the same talent as TL but not many do. There is a big difference in a Freshman and a Senior and I would trust our Senior who has proven he can win at this level more so than a Freshman with talent. Now if KB can't hit our WRs against a&m I would have no problem with HJ or TL coming in and taking over. I want what is best for us to win as do you.

Another DA post...***

Apr 9, 2018, 3:55 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 9, 2018, 5:48 PM

Duuuuurrrr!! I watch football!!! Duuuuuurrrrr!

We play Bama this weekend?***

Apr 9, 2018, 6:37 PM

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic