Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Basketball does not need to go inside more
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Basketball does not need to go inside more

Mar 1, 2018, 12:20 PM

If Thomas takes 10 shots he makes 4 or 5. That’s 10 points at most. If our guards take 10 3 pointers they will make 4. That’s 12 points. Just let the guards keep shooting. Using Thomas for inside and out purposes makes sense but some of u think he is a good enough scorer to go thru. Again I’m not bashing him but the truth is the truth. So please people stop acting like we need to do anything differrent than we have been. We are 22-7 and it’s our best team in forever. Brad knows what he is doing....for the most part. Go Tigers

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Basketball does not need to go inside more

Mar 1, 2018, 12:24 PM

Since he's shooting 56% he's going to make 5 or 6, and will be fouled on others. He's shooting FT's at 60%, and those won't count as shots so we would probably end up netting 14-16 points off of his 10 shots.

I don't see anyone saying our offense should "go through" Thomas, as it should clearly go through Reed because he is a natural scorer of the basketball. But it's not crazy to suggest we should work the post some more as well.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 1, 2018, 1:02 PM

I agree with all I said at the end. However Thomas wouldn’t make 6 out of 10. He shoots 50 percent. And Thomas doesn’t get fouled enough because he tries to avoid the Foul instead of just going up and shooting

Mar 1, 2018, 1:48 PM

Actually he has made 121 out of 216 shots, which is a 56.02%. Therefore he would make 5 or 6 out of 10 based on the average. Of course if you're a 60% free throw shooter you will try to avoid that foul, that's only logical. However, you have to take into account that fouls are called much more on inside shots than on 3's, even though there has been a higher number of fouled 3 point shooters this year.

Mar 1, 2018, 12:32 PM

You can't live or die by the three. You have to have another plan.

Except that this team does live or die by the three.

Mar 1, 2018, 12:44 PM

Or at least we live or die by our guard play. We don't have a good enough inside game to do otherwise.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Except that this team does live or die by the three.

Mar 1, 2018, 1:36 PM

Exactly. We have tried to feature Thomas before and it never works out. He fouls too much to be a main piece. The other night he played 24 minutes

Mar 1, 2018, 1:41 PM

Thomas is a main piece of our team. He does get in foul trouble yes but we also need him to score 10 points or more for us to consistently win.

Mar 1, 2018, 2:07 PM

When U need him to score 10 that lets u know he is just a piece and not the MAIN PIECE

Mar 1, 2018, 2:31 PM

Nobody is the main piece. We have 4 players that average double figures. Thomas is one of those. He is also our leading rebounder. So yes he is for sure a main piece. We would not he very good without him. He may be the most important player on the team even.

Mar 1, 2018, 2:58 PM

We definitely wouldn’t rebound as well that’s for sure. His long arms allow him to get the long rebounds that others cant

Mar 1, 2018, 4:40 PM

Yep everybody on the team is a key piece to the puzzle. It has been a dang good puzzle this year and to keep it rolling we need all of our players to contribute and play to their potential.

Mar 1, 2018, 1:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Basketball does not need to go inside more ]

Thanks coach!

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Mar 1, 2018, 1:37 PM

I think you’re missing the point that this is in response to people who feel like the coach needs to go to Thomas more. I’m the one defending our system and how it plays. So don’t bring your sarcastic ######## over here 07 or you’ll get dominated

Mar 1, 2018, 2:14 PM

Maybe before you attempt to "dominate someone" whatever the #### that means. You should learn how to use the board. I was replying to PetesPonies not you.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Mar 1, 2018, 2:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Basketball does not need to go inside more ]

My bad

Mar 1, 2018, 12:54 PM

Lol. Last night when I post about going inside more he was 1-3. He finished 4-8 with 11 points. Nobody is saying to run the offense thru him but you cannot win by passing it around the 3 point line. He is one of the best big men in the conference and we play better when he scores 10 points or more.

Mar 1, 2018, 1:39 PM

Right which is why I agree we have to go to Thomas but not any more than we already do as u stated

Mar 1, 2018, 1:46 PM

Agreed I believe we use him well. Last night during the game I just felt like we needed to get inside more than we were to open up the outside game. We ended up doing that which we needed. I do not think we need to change anything from what we are doing I was just suggesting an in game slight change. I know coach knows what he is doing.

Mar 1, 2018, 2:08 PM

And U were right because he finished well. He is usually at his best at the end of games as well

Mar 1, 2018, 2:33 PM

Yep. It is key to have an inside and outside game if we want to go far. Yes we have to hit 3s but Thomas also has to he a part of the game on O.

Hopefully your diamond knowledge is better than your

Mar 1, 2018, 1:18 PM

basketball knowledge.

Thomas took 8 shots yesterday and that produced 11 points. So how does Thomas taking 10 shots translate into "10 points at most?"

Against GT Thomas took 7 shots, made 4 of them and scored 13 points.

Against VT Thomas only took 5 shots, made them all and came away with 12 points.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Hopefully your diamond knowledge is better than your

Mar 1, 2018, 1:52 PM

Good break down GWP I didn’t know the numbers looked like that

Agree with your point in general, but you also have to

Mar 1, 2018, 2:16 PM [ in reply to Hopefully your diamond knowledge is better than your ]

account for his FT shooting - which isn't particularly good. A possession where Thomas gets fouled and shoots two FTs (and probably makes 1) doesn't count as a shot in the box score, but it's effectively a shot since it uses a possession.

I think the true shooting percentage formula accounts for this.

Nein, Nein, Nein ! Take It To The Hoop !

Mar 1, 2018, 1:23 PM

This TigerNet journalist has long advocated taking it to the hoop (aka inside out) ... the commentators on TV have said for several years that Clemson needs to do that, not just play "hot potato" with the ball around the key.

This year, we are doing that and overall, its been successful.

You take it inside, drive to the hoop ... chances are you will get fouled and get foul shots OR
you kick it out to the open man

Now, this year, we have several guys who are good at jump shots

As a result, this results in drawing the defense OUT and in turn, makes room inside ...

Think of an accordion or "Wax on, wax off".

The combo of inside game and people who are good at jump shots has been successful, there is no reason to change it.

Remember, you heard it first on TigerNet !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoMgnJDXd3k

fred

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Basketball does not need to go inside more - Incorrect

Mar 1, 2018, 1:35 PM

Assumption Clemson will make 4 of 10 3 pointers is off the mark:

Gabe is biggest threat and last 4 games he is shooting under his .41% avg for the year.
1-8 vs Duke
1-6 vs Va Tech
4-7 vs GT
2-6 vs Fl St

That is 8-27 29%

Reed's year avg is .37% and his last four games show he right around that:
1-6 vs Duke
8-20 vs Va Tech
1-4 vs GT
1-2 vs Fl St

That is 11-32 - 34% close to his avg.

Mitchell is 3-10 over the last two games with 3-8 last night. He is right under his avg of 36% avg.

So the 3 guards will be closer to 30% than 40%.

When EThomas shot 10 or more in a game (vs. Louisville, UNC, Pitt, Duke and @ GT), here is how the guards shot 3 Pt Shots:

Player - Lou - @GT - UNC - Pitt - Duke
Gabe - 3-8 38% - 5.8 63% - 5-8 63% - 7-11 64% - 1-8 13%

Reed - 3-6 50% - 1-4 25% 3-8 38% - 0-2 -- 1-6 17%

Mitchell - 1-5 20% - 4-6 67% - 3-6 50% 3-6 50% DNP

Perhaps, E Thomas pulls help defenders towards the lane which frees up spot 3 pt shooters like Mitchell and Gabe.

Reed will continue to create his shot and should be a focal point of the offense. BUt Clemson Offense flows best when you have the inside-outside game going. E Thomas has realize that and look for the open man.

Mar 1, 2018, 2:11 PM

Dude at what point this year have u seen Elijah Thomas pass out to open jumpers? Our guards create the shots for other guards!!! We don’t work inside and out. We never do that. Well rarely ever. Of course it’s going to happen sometimes. Thomas beat passes are when he gets it on the block and either passes to cutters or Simms.

Mar 1, 2018, 2:27 PM

Are you expecting inside out passes a lot? Teams don't do that 10+ times a game because Elijah (or their big men) can score, as has been shown.

And are you down playing his passes to cutters/Simms? When that happens it's called a good basketball play.

Mar 1, 2018, 6:37 PM

The way I stated that could've come off wrong sorry, no I def am not downplaying his passes. They are really good passes. Impressive for anybody especially a big man

Wow we just found the next Daryl Morey***

Mar 1, 2018, 2:10 PM

Here ya go... True Shooting Percentage for a handful of

Mar 1, 2018, 2:24 PM

our players this year. If you are interested in what that is you can read a little about it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_shooting_percentage

Thomas - 57.4%
Devoe - 58.5%
Mitchel - 54.3%
Reed - 57.9%

Not much difference there, and giving the ball to Thomas also gives our offense some balance. His turnover % is a little higher than the guards, but not enough to warrant reducing his touches.

Thomas had that little left hook shot working better

Mar 1, 2018, 6:52 PM

last night.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic